Why can "ask the lawyer" not answer questions on dual pricing

whatproblem

Believe it or not there are many hotels in Thailand that charge Thais more than Falungs because it's quite common practice for a Thai couple to turn up at the hotel, book a room and then the whole family arrives.

I remember the Royal Orchid Sheraton Bangkok giving special offers for foreign couples only.

This is the (lone) example that the apologists love to give to defend the rampant dual pricing of non-Thais.

Really? If it was in the US--being the most litigious country in the world--I'd imagine there would be lawsuits every single day. Does not compute.

I am not sure about that wink.png

Have you ever been to Disneyland Anaheim?

Price is lower if you have a Southern California Drivers license to enter

There are a number of places in the UK where locals get a discount, I have passes even now for certain places as I still have a house there. The pertinent point IMO is that these discounts are not based on race, but given just for people with local addresses, which makes the dual pricing here in Thailand very different, as it is clearly based on race. Edited by mrtoad
  • Like 2

Believe it or not there are many hotels in Thailand that charge Thais more than Falungs because it's quite common practice for a Thai couple to turn up at the hotel, book a room and then the whole family arrives.

I remember the Royal Orchid Sheraton Bangkok giving special offers for foreign couples only.

This is the (lone) example that the apologists love to give to defend the rampant dual pricing of non-Thais.

I was around Khao San for some odd reason, and looked at some of the trips in the tourist agencies. My Thai GF at the time was there and when I went to book a bus ticket for us we were told NO THAIS. Thais are not allowed on them.

• Like 1

Really? If it was in the US--being the most litigious country in the world--I'd imagine there would be lawsuits every single day. Does not compute.

There are a number of places in the UK where locals get a discount, I have passes even now for certain places as I still have a house there. The pertinent point IMO is that these discounts are not based on race, but given just for people with local addresses, which makes the dual pricing here in Thailand very different, as it is clearly based on race.

it is not based on race

It would be illegal to put a sign in a store in America that says

Whites $5

Blacks $10

Hispanics $12

This is not the same as offering discounts for people with local Driver Licenses or birthdays in May. What happens in Thailand with regards to overcharging foreigners would 100% be considered illegal and a violation of civil rights in the USA.

thailand is not discriminating based on race. its based on nationality and many countries do that, usa included.
Really? Where in the USA do they do that?

The 'Ask the Lawyer' question to which this topic referred in post #1 as being not answered involved whether dual pricing is prohibited in Thailand under Article 30 of the 2007 Thai Constitution. The lawyer was not asked whether dual pricing in Thailand is illegal under any other provision of Thai law.

All I see is 0 replies. Which, is basically a lawyer in a nutshell. Particularly those that are free. I hope they don't get free advertising

Hey that section is even better entertainment than the 'How can I bring my Thai wife or girlfriend back to my home country?' section.

Whites $5

Blacks $10

Hispanics $12

This is not the same as offering discounts for people with local Driver Licenses or birthdays in May. What happens in Thailand with regards to overcharging foreigners would 100% be considered illegal and a violation of civil rights in the USA.

thailand is not discriminating based on race. its based on nationality and many countries do that, usa included.

I don't know if this is exactly nationality, but if an American citizen or permanent resident is 62 or older, he can get a lifetime pass to all national parks for just $10. Anyone can get an annual pass for $80. Anyone can get an annual pass to any one park for $50.

Members of the US Military get in free.

The disabled/handicapped US citizens and permanent residents get a lifetime pass for free. Not available to others.

Khun Crab already posted what Disneyland and Disney World (private company) do for area residents.

--------------------

Here's the thinking: The locals pay the taxes to provide the private roads to get there, the sanitary water and sewer, snowplowing when needed and so on that happens away from the parks. They own the parks and the surrounding infrastructure.

Edit: Forgot a LINK

Edited by NeverSure

I wonder why many Thai businesses find it nessecary to list the Thai prices using Thai numeral script as opposed to roman numerals?

I believe you mean Arabic numerals. Learn how to read Thai numerals.

Everyone should remember that National Parks have been paid for by the Thai taxpayer. I find it disgusting in the UK that anyone can visit the art galleries and other attractions for free.

The British taxpayer has paid for them and tourists and non-resident foreigners should be charged.

I wonder why many Thai businesses find it nessecary to list the Thai prices using Thai numeral script as opposed to roman numerals?

I believe you mean Arabic numerals. Learn how to read Thai numerals.

Everyone should remember that National Parks have been paid for by the Thai taxpayer. I find it disgusting in the UK that anyone can visit the art galleries and other attractions for free.

The British taxpayer has paid for them and tourists and non-resident foreigners should be charged.

Hmmm....taxpayers....funny man....in a thai setting....you would suggest then that thais need to show their annual taxforms to the cashier......good try though.

There are a number of places in the UK where locals get a discount, I have passes even now for certain places as I still have a house there. The pertinent point IMO is that these discounts are not based on race, but given just for people with local addresses, which makes the dual pricing here in Thailand very different, as it is clearly based on race.

it is not based on race

I think it fits..... and the policy can certainly be described as "racist".

Race is a social concept used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, and/or social affiliation.

it is not based on race

Race is a social concept used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, and/or social affiliation.

Yes, nothing to do with nationality.

it is not based on race

lol! you just make that up??

You mean having the price for Thais written in Thai?

How DARE they.

Perhaps we could lobby for the next Thai constitution to make Thai numerals illegal.

Whites $5

Blacks $10

Hispanics $12

I don't know if this is exactly nationality, but if an American citizen or permanent resident is 62 or older, he can get a lifetime pass to all national parks for just $10. Anyone can get an annual pass for $80. Anyone can get an annual pass to any one park for $50.

Members of the US Military get in free.

The disabled/handicapped US citizens and permanent residents get a lifetime pass for free. Not available to others.

Khun Crab already posted what Disneyland and Disney World (private company) do for area residents.

--------------------

Here's the thinking: The locals pay the taxes to provide the private roads to get there, the sanitary water and sewer, snowplowing when needed and so on that happens away from the parks. They own the parks and the surrounding infrastructure.

Edit: Forgot a LINK

I agree. But that is reward, not discrimination.

You mean having the price for Thais written in Thai?

How DARE they.

Perhaps we could lobby for the next Thai constitution to make Thai numerals illegal.

Except that the only time they use Thai numerals in place of arabic numerals is when a shop has a two tier pricing system to rip off non-Thais. They know that what they are doing is shady.

Edited by farang000999

The English translation of Article 30 of the 2007 Thai Constitution (which was actually the original question to the 'Ask the Lawyer' guy) refers to 'unjust discrimination' based upon origin, race, or language, etc.; maybe someone decided that dual pricing is 'just' discrimination.

The English translation of Article 30 of the 2007 Thai Constitution (which was actually the original question to the 'Ask the Lawyer' guy) refers to 'unjust discrimination' based upon origin, race, or language, etc.; maybe someone decided that dual pricing is 'just' discrimination.

was nationality included in the etc?

Perhaps you're confused because it relates to my previous post. I'm suggesting that dual pricing is rampant in the US and if it was against the law, there would be lawsuits galore. The point is dual pricing occurs all over the world, not just Thailand.

Yes sorry neurological misfire wink.png

Mistook your meaning for 180 degree opposite

Agreed with you dual pricing is a fact in most countries

Now just rethink that a bit.

If you had one price for whites and one for people of colour in the US would it be legal?

the real answer is that there are laws which cover discrimination based on race in the US. There was a constitutional prohibition of discrimination due to race in the Thai Constitution.

was nationality included in the etc?

Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

Measures determined by the State in order to eliminate obstacle to or to promote persons’ ability to exercise their rights and liberties as other persons shall not be deemed as unjust discrimination under paragraph three.