Interior design pricing expectations

I have a house that is 220 sqm., and have a budget of about 2-3 million does anyone know what I should expect to pay for floor plans, conceptual plans and perspective ect.? I was told that it is normally between 10-15% of total budget.

Confused?blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_TIbQsYc

Title suggests your doing an interior design job, but you then in your post you ask..... "what I should expect to pay for floor plans, conceptual plans and perspective ect.? ".

such a request makes me think you are looking at doing a "new" build.

Either way ....This is Thailand ....10-15% is way TOO much (just as it is WAY TOO much in the west).

Everything is negotiable! Do your homework and shop around.

Personally I am at the end stages of a building project (1.5 million baht) where plans, engineering, permit approval, address book for property, etc. cost 15,000 baht...AND he did a GREAT job.

Personally I am at the end stages of a building project (1.5 million baht) where plans, engineering, permit approval, address book for property, etc. cost 15,000 baht...AND he did a GREAT job.

wow clearly I need some better contacts. I moved into an emtpy studio apartment a year ago and tried to get some Internal design help. Average quote was 25,000 not including materials. I gave up after 3 quotes. Yes Index do it for free but only if you buy all their stuff (however that would still be cheaper!).

Where do you shop around for this kind of work?

wow clearly I need some better contacts. I moved into an emtpy studio apartment a year ago and tried to get some Internal design help. Average quote was 25,000 not including materials. I gave up after 3 quotes. Yes Index do it for free but only if you buy all their stuff (however that would still be cheaper!).

Where do you shop around for this kind of work?

I'm guessing that most are lost when it comes to interior design. I do the design work myself....ie where to place cabinets, built-in's, shelves, design of kitchen etc. then I get quotes as to building it out. Have done this sort of thing as a sideline for many years. Basicly look at comparable properties (if a condo....see what others have done) look at design magazines and books etc. This way you get what YOU want.

As for actually getting someone to do the work....well...that's the biggest challenge, getting someone you trust and does competent work at a reasonable price!

Edited by beachproperty

I know that I can probably get the job done cheaper, but when the job is finished it will probably be similar to every house in my development. I don't mind paying extra for the wow factor you get when stepping through the door, so it stands out from the other houses. So inside will almost be a new layout with some walls taken down and light rewired ect...

I just want to know that at the end of day I am not being overcharged and price is reasonable.

Edited by arkom

Our design cost 15,000, but when we kept changing things the architect added another 5,000 without warning. It WAS NOT based on cost of house, though the bigger the house the more there is to design so I imagine it may cost more.

Our architect also DID NOT ask us some critical questions we only realized after digging deeply into the design weeks later. We were primarily concerned with the floor-plan. We have since developed more detail in the bathrooms, kitchen, electric/lighting and windows and doors. These will all be discussed with the builder before he starts later this month, but it would have been much easier to point to it in the final design if our architect had bothered to ask more probing questions.

Certainly the architect is the one who is more knowledgeable about questions that should be asked rather than a first time home builder, but TIT. So pay attention to the detail in those areas I have denoted, besides the floor-plan. You might also want to scrutinize your plumbing layout.

For my condo renovation which involved knocking out all of the existing walls and stripping it back to bare concrete, redoing electrical plumbing etc, I paid 2,000 psm for one of Thailands top architects. It worked out to roughly 5% of the total project costs.

The blue prints and design speciation drawings alone are 62 pages not including tender doc's.

• Like 1

For my condo renovation which involved knocking out all of the existing walls and stripping it back to bare concrete, redoing electrical plumbing etc, I paid 2,000 psm for one of Thailands top architects. It worked out to roughly 5% of the total project costs.

The blue prints and design speciation drawings alone are 62 pages not including tender doc's.

Thanks for that, if you don't mind me asking but how big your condo?

My condo is quite large at 630sqm.

My condo is quite large at 630sqm.

Must be quite the condo!!!!

1,260,000 baht (2,000 psm X 630sqm.....architectual fees)

25,000,000 baht (renovation fees.....architect fees 5% ..renovation 95%)

How much did the condo cost before you decide to pump ALL this money in it?

Edited by beachproperty

• 7 years later...
Hello,

I am closing on a new, 80 square meter, 2 BR/2BA condo in EKkamai, BKK.

I have good design sense, but need help with actually realizing my vision for a renovation. 

Wishing for: new kitchen, wall treatments, renovate bathroom, add closets, wall treatments, electric shades, all furniture, etc etc.

Mid to higher range renovations, definitely not highest end. 

Any recommendations for reasonably priced designers and contractors in BKK who "do it all"?  Need help with all steps of renovation including finding the construction, finding good people, etc.

Got some quotes from ex pat designers but thinking maybe local firms are better/more reasonable. 

Any advice/tips? Or recommendations? 

Thank you!

Stan Wu