Australia approves strikes against IS in Iraq

webfact

Australia approves strikes against IS in Iraq

(BBC) The Australian cabinet has given its approval for fighter jets to join air strikes against Islamic State targets in Iraq.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said IS was a "death cult" that had "declared war on the world" and must be stopped.

In a statement, he said it was "not a decision the government has taken lightly".

Canberra has already sent 600 troops and warplanes to a US base in the United Arab Emirates.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29460743

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-03

Anything that westerners do in that region will just make things worse... Why don't "the powers that be" just stop or do what they really want to and get it over with!? All these little atrocities are becoming tedious. They are sadists and use the "tit for tat" that happens to increase the power of the state back at home: we need more law and order legislation because they are coming to get us [because we bombed them back to the stone-age and killed their children, wives, husbands... whole families]!

Seems like a waste of state resources that could be spent on the betterment of the people, especially when the national debt has never been bigger! The weapons manufacturers, arms dealers and extremists on all sides will be rubbing their hands together yet again. They future generations will look back on this insanity with scorn.

• Like 2

Last week they had a Stage 3 terror alert in Sydney & Brisbane, that sure seemed like a media circus to pre-empt something dodgy. This week they are sending Australian jets to bomb the manufactured terrorists 3/4 the way across the globe in Iraq, Ah there's the connection I was expecting. I don't think Aust should be riding along as side gunners with the Neo Con terror machine, it's mostly manufactured new war. Wake up Australia. Here's an overview to see everything making sense, I don't agree with all of it but it certainly provokes deeper thought & checking, worth the read World War 3

http://www.tomatobubble.com/id686.html

• Like 2

Why do we always kiss their butt. If our leaders think that it is such an important cause then why don't we strike first. Why do we always have to follow along behind like good little children?

The US has more than 10x the military budget that Australia has. Australia wouldn't make a dent in ISIS alone, but in addition to the US, they can provide a boost.

• Like 1

ISIS needs to be dealt with, but why is Abbot so eager. Get real, Tony your the PM of Australia, a political midget on the world stage and I thought you were all about balancing the budget, this is really going to help.

I wish Peter Costello was still around, Abbot and Costello a couple of comic clowns from a different era, it fits.

• Like 2

When will they ever learn. Ground control from the air does not work. Every war since Vietnam has taught this lesson. But it does make the ordnance, repair parts and fuel suppliers a lot richer. Then perhaps the REALLY don't care in the West, hard to say. Boots on the ground is the only way otherwise, you are just j#rking off.

Why do we always kiss their butt. If our leaders think that it is such an important cause then why don't we strike first. Why do we always have to follow along behind like good little children?

" If our leaders think that it is such an important cause then why don't we strike first."

Because maybe no one will follow along behind you and then you'll be left to try to build an international coalition with Papua New Guinea, New Caledonia and Timor-Leste while everyone sniggers behind your back.

follow2.jpg

So all you who are bagging what the coalition is undertaking are condoning what ISAL is up to. Straight out genocide is alright by you lot ,is it? None of you have made mention of the men, women and children, who are being killed by these murderous criminals. That is all they are, nothing more, nothing less. Have you seen pictures of the Australian citizen, of middle eastern decent, holding up the decapitated head of an Syrian soldier and then allowing his 7 year old son to do the same. Given half your comments it suggests that you agree with this type of activity. I certainly don't and any way that these bastards can be stopped, then go for it.

The western world has brought a lot of problems on itself but do you lot suggest that everyone stands back and let these murderous mongrels infiltrate numerous countries, which they are doing and then perpetrate their horrendous acts on those countries citizens. Why only mention Australia, is it just because they only now agreed to help America. What about the others, the Arab States, France, England and numerous others. Don't forget all had to have permission from the Iraqi government before anything could take place.

I cannot understand any of your thinking, know nothing, yet start bagging some one just for the sake of being able to do so. The Australian Security Organisations I think, would know a lot more than most of you, as they have access to intelligence, which you do not. Clearly they are acting accordingly, by increasing the terror threat level, and raiding homes and businesses and detaining possible suspect terrorists and persons who have laundered millions of dollars, a majority of which has been sent overseas to assist terrorists. Do you condone this type of activity. I don't and if we were in a declared war, them these people would be charged with treason.

If the majority of you condone all of this then you have lost me and may be a trip to the shrink might help to straighten you out.

Edited by Si Thea01

ISIS needs to be dealt with, but why is Abbot so eager.

Australia might need some help with China some day and one hand washes the other.

We've already seen what help we will get. So has England and France and Poland and Holland to name a few.

Australia might need some help with China some day and one hand washes the other.

We've already seen what help we will get. So has England and France and Poland and Holland to name a few.

The help always comes. It's just not very punctual. They're down to 3 months now.

So all you who are bagging what the coalition is undertaking are condoning what ISAL is up to. Straight out genocide is alright by you lot ,is it? None of you have made mention of the men, women and children, who are being killed by these murderous criminals. That is all they are, nothing more, nothing less. Have you seen pictures of the Australian citizen, of middle eastern decent, holding up the decapitated head of an Syrian soldier and then allowing his 7 year old son to do the same. Given half your comments it suggests that you agree with this type of activity. I certainly don't and any way that these bastards can be stopped, then go for it.

The western world has brought a lot of problems on itself but do you lot suggest that everyone stands back and let these murderous mongrels infiltrate numerous countries, which they are doing and then perpetrate their horrendous acts on those countries citizens. Why only mention Australia, is it just because they only now agreed to help America. What about the others, the Arab States, France, England and numerous others. Don't forget all had to have permission from the Iraqi government before anything could take place.

I cannot understand any of your thinking, know nothing, yet start bagging some one just for the sake of being able to do so. The Australian Security Organisations I think, would know a lot more than most of you, as they have access to intelligence, which you do not. Clearly they are acting accordingly, by increasing the terror threat level, and raiding homes and businesses and detaining possible suspect terrorists and persons who have laundered millions of dollars, a majority of which has been sent overseas to assist terrorists. Do you condone this type of activity. I don't and if we were in a declared war, them these people would be charged with treason.

If the majority of you condone all of this then you have lost me and may be a trip to the shrink might help to straighten you out.

Oh I have just got to answer this one.

Firstly this is not about condoning anything. The entire conversation is about a long line of Australian prime ministers who have lined up to hide behind America's skirts. Nobody likes what ISIL is doing but you need to understand how sick and tired Australians are of being treated like children and manipulated at every turn. As a good example whenever the pollies want to take your attention away from something they are doing they always start talking about dole bludgers. When they want to sent men off to fight and maybe die they will frighten the population into saying ok.

As for that one who said that Australia would be standing alone to make a coalition with New Guinea, I can tell you this much. I would stand beside a fuzzy wuzzy in a fight any day and any where. Don't think that we are afraid. We don't have your mighty hardware but we are always the first ones up the beach while you follow behind.

I don't know whether it's me not being able to read but can you show me where the Postings refers to a long time of Australian prime ministers. I can only see most of those that I am referring to were referring to our current Prime Minister, Mr Abbott. Yes, I am an Australian, I do not know where you think I come from but it appears you assume that it may be anywhere other then Australia, possibly America. I for one have never felt manipulated or treated like a child.

Only people who cannot read, do not listen, are not worldly wise or are completely one sided (mainly lefties) feel this way but I can tell you that none of the people I deal or mix with feel this way. They are well informed about Australian Politics and are clearly able to see through whatever BS either side may try to deliver. Tell me, how do they frighten the population to get them to say okay if they send men off to fight. Please do not tell me this relates to terrorists and the raising the threat level by ASIO.. I hope not. Now that you had to just answer my initial post, I wait in expectation of you answering this..

Now that you had to jump in an answer my initial post, please jump in and answer what I put to you on this occasion.

Edited by Si Thea01

Nobody talks about the UN any more. Was there a mandate for this action? I haven't followed the lead up. I would be more comfortable if Australia participated in a UN led action. Not just UN mandated, but under leadership through existing channels within the UN structure.

There are many reasons why this would be seen as a bad idea but let me just pose a thought. Paying attention to solving the problems of how to take this action under a UN leadership role would probably also help open channels to deal with current global issues, specifically tensions between the US, Russia and China.

The other issue is that Australia will now need to be prepared for a long term engagement with Syria and Iraq. We will be bombing their people. We are at war with them, irrespective of the arguments about ISIS, Jihadists, Islam etc. Australia will need to be prepared to take in refugees, provide financial support for reconstruction and all the other things that Victors have to do for the Vanquished after War.

I support action against ISIS and other similar groups. I support police action against criminal activities inspired by religious or racially inspired philosophies in non War zones. But I do not support unilateralism, nor the continuation of Howard's 'Deputy Sheriff' role to the US. This will have consequences that could have been managed by a true multilateral, non-secularist approach.

Edited by Tep

Firstly this is not about condoning anything. The entire conversation is about a long line of Australian prime ministers who have lined up to hide behind America's skirts. Nobody likes what ISIL is doing but you need to understand how sick and tired Australians are of being treated like children and manipulated at every turn. As a good example whenever the pollies want to take your attention away from something they are doing they always start talking about dole bludgers. When they want to sent men off to fight and maybe die they will frighten the population into saying ok.

As for that one who said that Australia would be standing alone to make a coalition with New Guinea, I can tell you this much. I would stand beside a fuzzy wuzzy in a fight any day and any where. Don't think that we are afraid. We don't have your mighty hardware but we are always the first ones up the beach while you follow behind.

The trouble is the public fall for it every time.

I don't know whether it's me not being able to read but can you show me where the Postings refers to a long time of Australian prime ministers. I can only see most of those that I am referring to were referring to our current Prime Minister, Mr Abbott. Yes, I am an Australian, I do not know where you think I come from but it appears you assume that it may be anywhere other then Australia, possibly America. I for one have never felt manipulated or treated like a child.

Only people who cannot read, do not listen, are not worldly wise or are completely one sided (mainly lefties) feel this way but I can tell you that none of the people I deal or mix with feel this way. They are well informed about Australian Politics and are clearly able to see through whatever BS either side may try to deliver. Tell me, how do they frighten the population to get them to say okay if they send men off to fight. Please do not tell me this relates to terrorists and the raising the threat level by ASIO.. I hope not. Now that you had to just answer my initial post, I wait in expectation of you answering this..

Now that you had to jump in an answer my initial post, please jump in and answer what I put to you on this occasion.

As a lefty Ozzy let me answer.We don't get a say about sending men to fight in far away wars,again.It is as plain as the nose on your face that when ever a govt is in trouble and there is a war going on,off we go.Dog whistling about Muslims has only started because the boats have stopped and the govt.have to find another diversion.Notice how the budget is hardly mentioned anymore.ASIO raise the warning,more money in their kitty.Racist Aust will believe anything it is fed by govt.and compliant press.War is more sexy,until the bodybags start coming home,then pollies can't wait for a photo op. at a funeral.Pollies that get to the top are evil,and will do anything to stay in power.Yanks got one thing right,2 terms cya later.

• Like 2

If China gets too ambitious it will be a world war. I just don't think they will, the wealth comes from industry and trade not aggression, you need only to look at the countries who lost WW2.

From a military viewpoint, having troops with actual combat experience is a great boost to capability. And when you have a pack of murderous mongrels thumbing their nose and begging to be sent to paradise, it's really too good an opportunity to waste.

• Like 1

Last week they had a Stage 3 terror alert in Sydney & Brisbane, that sure seemed like a media circus to pre-empt something dodgy. This week they are sending Australian jets to bomb the manufactured terrorists 3/4 the way across the globe in Iraq, Ah there's the connection I was expecting. I don't think Aust should be riding along as side gunners with the Neo Con terror machine, it's mostly manufactured new war. Wake up Australia. Here's an overview to see everything making sense, I don't agree with all of it but it certainly provokes deeper thought & checking, worth the read World War 3

http://www.tomatobubble.com/id686.html

Thats a good read. Thanks for attaching it.

Well, it is true. I am, perhaps, not well read. I did once achieve a notable pass in my sociolinguistics dissertation but that does not make me well read. At least not with any of the people that you mix with. There is an old expression that says never sell snow to an eskimo. Have you checked your igloo for leaks recently? If you cannot tell when you are being snowed on...............no, I don't like the sound of my own tone now, so I will simply say have a closer look for yourself and stop listening to people who have never been there.