Bangkok: Meat found in 'vegetarian' food from China Town

webfact

"Supposedly meat-free sausages, fish cakes, salted fish, meatballs and crab meat all contained traces of animal products, according to Apichai Mongkol, inspector general of the Department of Public Health."

Nothing new about this information.

I am vegetarian and would not touch any of these allegedly vegan/vegetarian 'fake meat' products.

They may not be meat as such but they are not meat free.

What exactly is a meat-free meatball? or vegetarian crab meat or fish cake, for that matter? I am thoroughly confused... facepalm.gif

Depends. Mostly it's just flavoured TVP prepared in the form of the food it imitates. Quality varies to be honest but some like the Linda macartney stuff is ok.

• Like 1

Been here 20 years vegetarian for 42 and never met a Thai vegetarian, only some who claim to be esp on the festival

I've meet quite a few, including whole families, usually of not to distant Chinese background who are 100% 24/7/365, many others I know with a Chinese background are like you said "part-time" veggies.

• Like 1

I've always chuckled about the Chinese vegetarian festival, which offers veggie "meatballs", veggie "duck meat", veggie "sausages", veggie "chicken mince", veggie "stewed pork knuckle", and so forth.

If you're a vegetarian why would you care that your food resembles meat dishes or ingredients and go to such lengths to prepare them so they look like actual meat?

The same happens with some Indian vegan dishes, by the way.

I understand of course that the local vegetarian festival is more or less a religious/spiritual affair, during which people refrain from eating meat (and strongly spiced dishes) for a week or so in order in order to cleanse their bodies before they go back to eating meat. Yet I find it a rather hilariously ironic practice to imitate meat.

Have you ever considered that some vegetarians find the factory farming, production line manner of animal exploitation for food morally repugnant and therefore refuse to support it.

Its not about health. Its about right and wrong.

Doesn't mean they don't miss the taste though.

As a long time vegetarian - nearly 30 years I find the taste / smell of meat, seafood and fish sauce repugnant in the extreme to the point that any with any veggie dish prepared with or in utensils used for non-veggie dishes I can usually taste the contaminant - especially fish sauce -- yuk.

• Like 2

Like anyone would care unless they are vegetarian, which apart from me and possibly a few other farrangs, don't exist in Thailand.

I have never met a Thai vegetarian, but they must exist. of course if this had been non halal meet served up to Muslims the market would probably have been burned down

all asoke people (dhamma army) all veggie thousands here..just replace meat with tofu you would never know...meat is murder remember that..

• Like 1

I've always chuckled about the Chinese vegetarian festival, which offers veggie "meatballs", veggie "duck meat", veggie "sausages", veggie "chicken mince", veggie "stewed pork knuckle", and so forth.

If you're a vegetarian why would you care that your food resembles meat dishes or ingredients and go to such lengths to prepare them so they look like actual meat?

I understand of course that the local vegetarian festival is more or less a religious/spiritual affair, during which people refrain from eating meat (and strongly spiced dishes) for a week or so in order in order to cleanse their bodies before they go back to eating meat. Yet I find it a rather hilariously ironic practice to imitate meat.

Have you ever considered that some vegetarians find the factory farming, production line manner of animal exploitation for food morally repugnant and therefore refuse to support it.

As a long time vegetarian - nearly 30 years I find the taste / smell of meat, seafood and fish sauce repugnant in the extreme to the point that any with any veggie dish prepared with or in utensils used for non-veggie dishes I can usually taste the contaminant - especially fish sauce -- yuk.

Same here - 31 years now - and don't miss the taste at all. Can see why some might though. Each to their own.

its for former meat eaters/people who miss meat but wont buy/eat it anymore..simple thought process really dont you think..

Edited by winstonc
  • Like 1

If it looks like meat and is made to taste like meat, why complain if it contains meat? As a commenter argued: "most meat-eaters who think vegetarians are crazy or weird have been put off by the eating of some meat substitute. Because they try to be what they're not, these mock meats are always disappointing. People need protein, but they don't need to imitate flesh."

Anyone got a good recipe for a veggie meat sausage, veggie meat patty, veggie hot dog? Tofurky, anyone?

If it looks like meat and is made to taste like meat, why complain if it contains meat? As a commenter argued: "most meat-eaters who think vegetarians are crazy or weird have been put off by the eating of some meat substitute. Because they try to be what they're not, these mock meats are always disappointing. People need protein, but they don't need to imitate flesh."

Anyone got a good recipe for a veggie meat sausage, veggie meat patty, veggie hot dog? Tofurky, anyone?

not your brightest post..some like me detest meat..thats the point........try tofu..

• Like 1

Anybody die ?clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

yes

the animal in the fake vegetarian food

That's just a detail. People shouldn't be so picky. 99% meat free should be enough. The last 1% is a hassle to control. Turnover is more important.

what would you say if it were 1% human meat?

you wouldn't say "99% is enough"

you'd say "they killed someone!!"

some people don't want other conscious beings being tortured and killed when it has become totally unecessary

making them eat those being is like making you eat humans

• Like 1

So many vegetarians claim. I have been a very strict vegetarian for years at a time, but some BBQ ribs or bacon or a good steak always tastes great to me when I finally start eating it again. smile.png

Anybody die ?clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

yes

the animal in the fake vegetarian food

That's just a detail. People shouldn't be so picky. 99% meat free should be enough. The last 1% is a hassle to control. Turnover is more important.

what would you say if it were 1% human meat?

you wouldn't say "99% is enough"

you'd say "they killed someone!!"

some people don't want other conscious beings being tortured and killed when it has become totally unecessary

making them eat those being is like making you eat humans

My last sentence should haven given you a hint :)
  • Like 2

I don;t remember the exact story behind it but it's along the line that some Buddhists many years ago didn't want to eat meat but when they had guests they wanted to stay meat-free while making their guests feel at home. So they invented lots of fake meat dishes.

Another reason is that the majority of customers in vegetarian restaurants are meat-eaters that want to sometimes eat veggie meals. It's easier for them if there is familiar food on sale.

But you could also wonder if so many people want to eat meat, but they often give it different names and shapes to disguise what it really is. If you want eat pig, cow, etc, then why not call ti what it is? And why make it into shapes that hide the fact that it's an animal? And why would the vast majority of meat-eaters be unable to kill a pg or a cow. Meat-eaters are the real fakes. I know some of you will claim you can kill animals and some even do, but I'm talking about the majority here.

So many vegetarians claim. I have been a very strict vegetarian for years at a time, but some BBQ ribs or bacon or a good steak always tastes great to me when I finally start eating it again. smile.png

As I said 31 years and don't miss it at all.