Police road block for bike check

jimstar1

Most of those bashers are just ignorant of the reality. As you say it would be Road Warrior or Mad Max with out them. Also I wonder how many of them are just trying to scam the system. The OP i9s a prime example he spends six months a year here and is illegally driving for three months of them. He has been getting away with it for years and when finally called on it cries foul.

What makes it "illegal"? Is there a law or regulation?

This sounds like the must carry your passport thing. No one has shown a law that I have seen..... I wish I could see a law for both of these situations.

+1

Just another gray area in Thai law... it keeps everybody confused and makes it easier to collect those "special fines."

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is party to an international convention. Switzerland I think, maybe Belgium. Post-war Europe when everyone was feeling the love. Everyone who was on that particular get together decided to accept each other's licences for 3 months to make the wheels of industry keep on turning. Or rather keep the proles driving.

Thailand is party to an international convention. Switzerland I think, maybe Belgium. Post-war Europe when everyone was feeling the love. Everyone who was on that particular get together decided to accept each other's licences for 3 months to make the wheels of industry keep on turning. Or rather keep the proles driving.

You should reference the treaties if that is what you want to impart to people. So many people post things, and I am not pointing at you... this is in general, on forums without evidence other than people should believe their word. Not saying they are right or wrong, but they should reference something.

I think the conventions you are referring to are the Convention on Road Traffic in Geneva, 1949, which Thailand did not sign until 1962 I think. Then there was another convention on Road Traffic in Vienna, 1968. I don't recall a specific time limit other than the accepted licenses or International Permits were good for a certain period. HOWEVER, there was a section, I believe, which addressed whether a person had taken up residence in another country.... like foreigners are doing in Thailand.

Here they are:

EDIT... I am having trouble adding 2 files at once... I will try to add the Vienna convention in another post

RoadTraffic1949.pdf

Edited by hml367

Also as a tourist if you have Full bike Category on your licence (UK anyway) you do not need either Thai licence nore IDP as you are covered to drive/ride this vehicle, it is dependant on your status in LOS as has been mentioned as I said this statement is Tourists only.

Can you give a source for that info?

I have checked and rechecked several times over the years, and inside the IDP it states that it is a requirement. For some countries the IDP is only recommended, for some it is mandatory.

In Thailand it is mandatory full stop.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit#Countries_recognizing_IDP

And if you have an awful lot of time on your hands to prove your point, the full convention is here:

http://www.adcidl.com/Convention-of-Road-Traffic-1949-English.html

I read it on here a few years ago, the actual Thai law (engrish translation) was quoted. Actually if memory serves me right I think it was for peeps on a Cat B Visa with correct licence from home country car/bike etc. Obviously as I did mention is best to get a Thai licence, thats if your experienced and have a high standard of competence to control the particular vehicle and think you can manage to pass the test here in LOS cheesy.gif

But I'll let you find that pal, you seem to like searching and posting facts (over several years? lol) I can't be ar$ed, got better things to do... whistling.gif

Another pishing around thread !!! crying.gif

If people have enough time to moan and groan and post about this sort of thing --- let alone get into UN treaties !!! --- then they have enough time to trot on down Hang Dong Road and get a Thai license (if you are based in Chiang Mai; if you are not why do you read this thread?!). They are extraordinarily efficient at that office, and you will not be discomoded. Otherwise, what is the penalty? Some 200 baht fine, perhaps, or a brief lecture of some sort. Hello!! Get a life!

beatdeadhorse.gif

The policeman was wrong to try and take a 'bribe'. You were wrong to not have the correct license to be driving. So, get a license if you are here often, be it Thai or International, and lets stop giving them an excuse to stop so many foreigners.

With police like that, it doesn't matter if you have a license or not. They are after money. They will always find something, such as pointing out your "modified" bike, even though it is not. Common in Pattaya.

You could be right about that,..in Pattaya .. i thought i was legal with everything and happy to be stopped at checkpoint , had the helmet, ok ...checked the bike ...ok.. asked for license ., had thai license ,ok... checked my road tax ..ok. asked for passport i had copy ...ok ....i thought i was clear , but after thinking a minute he asked for my green owners book (log book )....got me.!....had to pay 300baht in police station..........so now i also carry copy of green book.. name and tax pages....cant wait to see what i have to carry with me next..!!

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you are saying there was no tea money. It was a legal thing for the officer to do.

I would have paid him the 500 TB or at least negotiated the alleged fine down where he received something to make him smile.

As I recall, if you have a retirement visa extension, you are required to have a Thai drivers license and if you don't the fine is the average cost of a Thai beer.

All it takes is one Police Officer that is unhinged from stress, hunger, family medical bills and more to put you in the hospital. Why risk it?

Around the world many are laying in hospital beds thinking about out of control medical bills from Police beat downs and how they could have prevented injury and bankruptcy. And they are the lucky ones! The unlucky ones are in a medical induced coma.

Besides, he probably needed it!

The more cash you give away, the more comes back to you. That is the power of money.

People in this forum have in the past have foolishly bashed the Police/Army, but imagine a city without them. We are talking road warrior.

Most of those bashers are just ignorant of the reality. As you say it would be Road Warrior or Mad Max with out them. Also I wonder how many of them are just trying to scam the system. The OP i9s a prime example he spends six months a year here and is illegally driving for three months of them. He has been getting away with it for years and when finally called on it cries foul.

That may be, a shake down is still a shake down.

As I said earlier the OP is no better than the cop. Are you trying to justify his illegal driving for three months of the six he is here?sad.png

What makes it "illegal"? Is there a law or regulation?

This sounds like the must carry your passport thing. No one has shown a law that I have seen..... I wish I could see a law for both of these situations.

+1

Just another gray area in Thai law... it keeps everybody confused and makes it easier to collect those "special fines."

Easley tested try driving with out a Thai drivers license and no insurance and get in a wreck after 4 months. I have the feeling you would not stand a chance. It is probably defiantly illegal just gray because of the translation.wai.gif

I would have paid him the 500 TB or at least negotiated the alleged fine down where he received something to make him smile.

As I recall, if you have a retirement visa extension, you are required to have a Thai drivers license and if you don't the fine is the average cost of a Thai beer.

All it takes is one Police Officer that is unhinged from stress, hunger, family medical bills and more to put you in the hospital. Why risk it?

Around the world many are laying in hospital beds thinking about out of control medical bills from Police beat downs and how they could have prevented injury and bankruptcy. And they are the lucky ones! The unlucky ones are in a medical induced coma.

Besides, he probably needed it!

The more cash you give away, the more comes back to you. That is the power of money.

People in this forum have in the past have foolishly bashed the Police/Army, but imagine a city without them. We are talking road warrior.

That may be, a shake down is still a shake down.

As I said earlier the OP is no better than the cop. Are you trying to justify his illegal driving for three months of the six he is here?sad.png

Define "illegal driving" for me please, because I've yet to see legal driving anywhere in this country.

I give zero <deleted> about if someone has a "legal" license or not. It means nothing here. The ONLY thing that matters on the roads of Thailand is DON'T GET KILLED. Nothing else matters. Nothing.

The convention in Vienna:

(These are available from the United Nations Treaties Collection)

Are they required to be carried in all vehicles?cheesy.gifcheesy.gif The lengths some people will go to over a traffic violation.

Who said anything about carrying anything in a vehicle.

And you are the one that posts about people not contributing.

There is a discussion about what type of license or permit is legal or required. You said something is illegal but no evidence of that.

Thailand is a party to both the 1949 and 1968 conventions of Road Traffic. These conventions leave room for interpretation as to when and what is required, as Konini noted.

Edited by hml367

I thought you were only allowed to use your home licnce for the 3 months in conjunction with an International Driving Permit, which shows what the licence covers?

You are correct, the UK can and does cancel your licence if you are out of the country for more than three consecutive months. They are linked to the passport office so they do know when you are abroad, I know having just 'lost' my U.K. licence, fortunately I have a Thai licence. Also the UK issues a free licence once you are 70 years of age and still a UK resident.

Biggest load of hogwash I've ever read on here. I applied for a new license, years after losing my original one. 10 years in Thailand! Gave my passport details in order to confirm my I.D. New license issued, no problem! UK Does NOT cancel your driving license if living abroad for more than 3 months.

the UK can and does cancel your licence if you are out of the country for more than three consecutive months. They are linked to the passport office so they do know when you are abroad, I know having just 'lost' my U.K. licence, fortunately I have a Thai licence. Also the UK issues a free licence once you are 70 years of age and still a UK resident.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This is the nuttiest thing I have ever read on Thaivisa. The UK most certainly does not cancel your license whatever the time-frame you are out. There is no grounds or authority to do so. You could have passed your test at 17, left for 52 years and still have a year left before having to take the retest at 70 if you decided to return. The only change is the requirement to update the license every 10 years due to photo. But if you haven't changed your address, there's no need to upgrade so the original paper license still stands.

Anyway, op, well done for standing your ground. However, I'm not sure it's all that wise to get in their face like that or that you were totally in the right. Probably better to negotiate down, to like 200.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

A post containing a derogatory slur toward British people has been removed.