More bicycle lanes: PM

Lite Beer

More bicycle lanes: PM
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha announced last night that his government will support construction of bicycle lanes around the country.

"I would like people to pay more attention to cycling for exercise. Cycling provides a very good form of exercise, whether one does it as part of daily commute or as exercise," Prayut said during his weekly TV programme Returning Happiness to People in the Country.

"The government has a policy to support this. We will promote the creation of safe bike routes for cyclists, and expand the coverage of such routes into all regions.

"These routes may be linked together to form commuting, tourism or exercise routes."

He said cycling could be used to promote activities like adventure tourism, scenic excursions and eco-tourism.

"These routes should be created in every province and in all locales," he said.

"I ask that provincial governors and officials of all ministries see to this in their own locales. The Ministry of Interior will likely be the main driver for this task."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/More-bicycle-lanes-PM-30244749.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-04

It's difficult enough to cross the road, even on a Zebra Crossing , Thais never slow down, they just seem to ignore the fact you are trying to cross the road.... Very dangerous..

As for Cycling, love it, but NEVER in Thailand, far too dangerous....

Oh dear, another person who should google - Thailand Cycling Events, to see how popular this sport is becoming here.

Dangerous? Not out in the countryside where I ride. In Bangkok? I would have to agree with you.

The 'PM' is right, it is one of the best types of exercise, and is particularly beneficial for those getting older. Just do it.

• Like 2

It's difficult enough to cross the road, even on a Zebra Crossing , Thais never slow down, they just seem to ignore the fact you are trying to cross the road.... Very dangerous..

Oh dear, another person who should google - Thailand Cycling Events, to see how popular this sport is becoming here.

Dangerous? Not out in the countryside where I ride. In Bangkok? I would have to agree with you.

The 'PM' is right, it is one of the best types of exercise, and is particularly beneficial for those getting older. Just do it.

I am often up early to go to play golf, quite dark. There are many cycling groups around at that time, barely a light between them. Accidents waiting to happen.

Yes, it's good exercise but cycle lanes simply won't work here. Just another route for motorcycles traveling the wrong way.

I drive around Bkk all day and nary see one cyclist, so what the extra lane for?

now if you will have more cyclist, they not going to be the air conditioning lovers

of Bkk, who are they going to be than?

than you have the problem with cyclist being run over on knocked down by the

millions of vehicle around them, so now the PM will suggest insurance coverage

and a team of doctors to treat them in hospital and so on and so on...

Bkk is not a city for cycling.. you want to cycle, go to a public park...

• Like 1

Yes it is dangerous in the countryside, but not from traffic.

I knoe of several cases now, where people have been robbed of their expensive bikes. Expensive bicycles are now becoming the target of some thieves.

I am often up early to go to play golf, quite dark. There are many cycling groups around at that time, barely a light between them. Accidents waiting to happen.

Yes, it's good exercise but cycle lanes simply won't work here. Just another route for motorcycles traveling the wrong way.

If you can afford a nice bike, you can certainly afford the lights. Country roads all have a lane for two wheeled traffic usually 2 meters wide, if this isn't enough room for you, I don't know what is. Some motorbikes come the wrong way, but do so very slowly and don't expect cyclists to move out of their way. To be honest I find the heat more of a challenge than other road users. PS The cycle groups in my area won't allow people without lights or helmets to join them.

Excellent!!! I'm sure the street vendors will appreciate the extra space to set up their carts. lol

Motorcycles and cars parking on the sidewalks, street vendors in the bike lane, pedestrians and bikes vie for what left of the road. TIT.

Edited by connda

Yes it is dangerous in the countryside, but not from traffic.

I knoe of several cases now, where people have been robbed of their expensive bikes. Expensive bicycles are now becoming the target of some thieves.

Thanks for the warning!

Bicycle lanes will be a hazard , the perception you just put some white lines down and every thing works fine is B/S, Bangkok would be the least city in the world besides those well planned one's in China , that could handle bike lanes, lets be frank , the biggest employer in Thailand would be the undertaker, the city is not planned out properly to provide cycle lanes and the best advice one could send to the planning department , proper preparation prevents piss poor performance, however its a bit late for that.cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Those bicyclists are mostly of Chinese origin. I do not think that an ordinary Thai, including my wife would like to ride a bicycle just for fun.

Some of them do aerobic, but they need a motorbike, just to get around the corner.

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha announced last night that his government will support construction of Formula One lanes around the country.

​ Some Ferrari and Lamborghini are already here.

Warning! Motorbike lanes cannot be used with bicycles.-facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

If you can afford a nice bike, you can certainly afford the lights. Country roads all have a lane for two wheeled traffic usually 2 meters wide, if this isn't enough room for you, I don't know what is. Some motorbikes come the wrong way, but do so very slowly and don't expect cyclists to move out of their way. To be honest I find the heat more of a challenge than other road users. PS The cycle groups in my area won't allow people without lights or helmets to join them.

If you can afford a nice bike, you can certainly afford the lights.

I thought the same about motorbike riders, if you van afford a 50.000 Baht bike, you certainly can afford a helmet. But clearly Thai logic is different.

As for your suggestion to Robertthebruce that he should use Google, I have used it for your convenience

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/feb/18/british-cyclists-killed-thailand

As Thai drivers take no notice of zebra crossings they should all be converted to pelican crossings.

Perhaps the red lights will cause some to stop for pedestrians.

I thought the same about motorbike riders, if you van afford a 50.000 Baht bike, you certainly can afford a helmet. But clearly Thai logic is different.

As for your suggestion to Robertthebruce that he should use Google, I have used it for your convenience

You're assuming that just because Thais have a 50,000 baht bike, that they can afford it. Quite often they can't afford the bike, so definitely can't afford any extras.

As Thai drivers take no notice of zebra crossings they should all be converted to pelican crossings.

Perhaps the red lights will cause some to stop for pedestrians.

If you have ever watched some of the pedestrian crossing on Asoke, you will know that drivers don't stop for red lights either.

I like cycling a lot. I have tried it in Thailand. This is what happened on 3 months time:

- several times almost hit by a truck or by motorcycles going in the wrong direction

- got robbed 1 time (police didn't even make a report)

- got bitten by stray dogs 1 time and had to get for 6000 baht rabies treatment.

I gave up on cycling.

Again - the problem is the enforcement of the law - not the infrastructure.

More people would ride their bike if the Thai police force would be of any use - but they are not.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

I remember that, it was so so,sad, poor people...., the driver was let of with a small fine ??? Suprise Suprise,

Let's face it if a Ferrari can drive about with a Policeman underneath it, and still be walking about free,

I used to love cycling, as its a great form of exercise and to get around..... But, as I said... No way... For sure.... Keep that for my Hols in California....

It's easy to be critical, but what the PM is saying, that there needs to be more build. So, within Govt planning policies may have to change to ensure more are developed. It may help also, that some of these contributions go into producing more cycle friendly maps either as hard copy or digital.

• Like 1