North Korea capital 'under lockdown' amid rumours of threat to Kim Jong-un

Lite Beer

North Korea capital 'under lockdown' amid rumours of threat to Kim Jong-un

By Julian Ryall, Tokyo

PYONGYANG: -- Travel ban triggers renewed speculation about stability of regime of Kim Jong-un

The North Korean capital has been placed under lockdown, according to sources with Pyongyang, raising new questions about the stability of Kim Jong-un's regime.

Quoting sources within North Korea, the respected New Focus International news web site has reported that a ban on new travel passes to leave or enter Pyongyang was introduced on September 27.

And while the North Korean authorities have in the past limited access to the capital, the latest restrictions even apply to permanent residents of Pyongyang, who are by definition the elite of the regime.

"This sort of action suggests there has either been an attempted coup or that the authorities there have uncovered some sort of plot against the leadership," Toshimitsu Shigemura, a professor at Tokyo's Waseda University and an authority on North Korean affairs, told The Telegraph.

"If it is a military-backed coup, then the situation in Pyongyang will be very dangerous and I have heard reports that Kim has been moved out of the capital," he said.

"Another reason might be that some senior officials of the regime have attempted to defect and they are closing the escape routes, such as the airport and the border," Prof. Shigemura added.

The travel restrictions were introduced just two days after a session of the North's rubber-stamp parliament at which Mr Kim was conspicuous by his absence.

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/11138105/North-Korea-capital-under-lockdown-amid-rumours-of-threat-to-Kim-Jong-un.html

--The Telegraph 2014-10-03

He can't even trust his closest advisors and protectors. I'd bet that a number of them would like his head.

That's not to mention his two older brothers. The oldest, Kim Jong-nam was expected to become the supreme leader and who knows if either of his older brothers would like his head.

He also has two sisters, one older and one younger. The older is very active and I wonder what she thinks of him.

He acts like a madman just itching for someone to kill him, as he does to his enemies.

This would be a great time to visit and tour N. Korea...while you are there...ask about the little squatty fat pig cheese eater...and tell everyone you want to give up your country's citizenship and become either a slave farm laborer...or clean toilets in one of their many fine prisons...no reasonable offer will be refused...please do report back to this forum if they ever allow their people to use the internet...

• Like 1

I just feel so very sorry for the 'common' people of this nation ! ! ! It is scandalous how these people have to live & survive under such utterly disgusting conditions. I wish the "free world" could walk in there and set the whole lot of them free . . . . . .

402.gif

We had the N. Korea channel on our True cable package for a while. All of the announcers talk in that super emotional, quavering voice. One segment showed KJ Un touring what looked like an elite university. There was a huge room, filled with students working at really up to date computer work stations. What they were doing there, who knows.

Sounds like Cheese Man has been weighed up, and found to be incapable of carrying the weight of leadership. The bosses have to figure out a way to keep the Kim Cult alive without KJ Un as the figure head.

It's fun to look at that regime as a clown show, but the implications of big change there are anything but comical.

I did not see any unusual military or police activity neither any "lockdown" in Pyongyang. I came from there three days ago. Everything was as normal as they can be.

Off topic, but just curious what were you doing there, dangerous place for any foreigner, especially westerener.

Based on what I read this morning, it might be him that they are looking for.

There is talk that he no longer has control of the country.

Kim Jong Un 'Is No Longer In Control', Former Top North Korean Official Claims Amid Flurry Of Conspiracy Theories

Wouldn't that be sweet. It would be great to see this man being held accountable for his evil actions. By accountable I mean tortured in the most inhumane ways possible & in such a manner to extract displeasure and discomfort to him as possible, for as long as possible. Vile creature.

Very well done. You managed to have a snipe at Thaksin on a thread completely unrelated to Thai politics. Not bad for an evening's work, eh? However it is my opinion that your knowledge of the DPRK is limited to 30 second news clips and intoxicants, given your above post.

I wait in eager suspense for you to inform us of the good stuff about DPRK.

I'll give you one to start with - DPRK has one of the lowest obesity rates.

https://news.vice.com/article/former-top-official-says-kim-jong-un-is-no-longer-in-control-of-north-korea

is worth looking at. Civil war is being talked about, not good news.

sadly if thats what it takes to free these poor serfs from their medieval despot so be it. IT cant be much worse for most north koreans can it ??

Look what has happened in the Arab world since the glorious Arab Spring. China invading. N. Korea to reestablish order ? 'no boots on the ground' policies, S. Korea losing economic stability, S. E. Asia in general ..... no, not good news.

Fantastic scenery, great beer, Arirang, lack of pollution, safe streets... It actually does have its good points contrary to the beliefs of many. That is not to say it doesn't have its fair share of problems too.

North and South Korea 'agree to talks#

North and South Korea have agreed to resume formal high-level talks that had effectively been suspended since February, reports from South Korea say.

The agreement came during a surprise visit to South Korea by North Korean officials for the closing ceremony of the Asian Games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29489134