What weapons can I carry

ukrules

I'd like to know what weapons I can carry when I'm going about my day to day business in Thailand.

Also what weapons can my girlfriend as a Thai national carry in her bag.

This is for self defence purposes and I'd like to stay within the law.

So I'm thinking of a proper stun gun (not the crap they sell on Sukhumvit), taser (real one), short bladed weapon, pepper spray, CS gas, baton, etc. You know, the type of weapons the police in every country around the world use for self defence from criminals. I'd like to extend this kind of protection to myself.

I'm sure the list of allowable weapons will be different for myself and for my Thai national girlfriend who often accompanies me when we go anywhere.

Has anyone got any ideas or pointers to the rules and reglations on this ?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing's happened but recent events made me think that if ever a mob of guys attacked me I would be defenseless against them - this is not a desirable situation to be in so I'm seeking advice.

Edit : I know some people hire armed bodyguards and believe me - nobody messes with them.

Edited by ukrules

Nothing's happened but recent events made me think that if ever a mob of guys attacked me I would be defenseless against them - this is not a desirable situation to be in so I'm seeking advice.

Well Rambo, if a mob of guys attack you, they'll have a lot of fun tasering you with your own device, and spraying your CS in your eyes while kicking the living cr*p out of you.

Anyways most of this stuff is quite illegal. Bring cash.

• Like 1

Edit : I know some people hire armed bodyguards and believe me - nobody messes with them.

Some advice - don't carry a weapon you don't know how to use. It'll likely just be taken from you and used against you.

I'm not an idiot and I have the capacity, ability and time / inclination to learn to use anything I want.

If I genuinely thought Thailand was dangerous enough that carrying a weapon was necessary, I'd leave the country.

Thankfully, I'm nowhere near that paranoid.

I don't think Thailand is that dangerous, in fact it's quite peaceful where I live. However you occasionally come across dangerous people.

• Like 1

Some advice - don't carry a weapon you don't know how to use. It'll likely just be taken from you and used against you.

I'm not an idiot and I have the capacity, ability and time / inclination to learn to use anything I want.

Why would a mob of guys attack you?

stun gun (not the crap they sell on Sukhumvit), taser (real one), short bladed weapon, pepper spray, CS gas, baton, etc.

All of these are considered weapons by condition and therefore illegal to carry. If caught fine and confiscation.

You can carry 'dual use items' like baseball bat or glass bottle

Edit..Knew I'd seen this topic recently. This from 'Ask The Lawyer'

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/762108-concealed-pepper-spray-expandable-batons-and-pocket-knives/

2nd edit..see PoorSucker already posted link.

Edited by ThaidDown

Who's going to train you to take out an entire mob of guys armed just with a baton? Jackie Chan?

• Like 2

Why would a mob of guys attack you?

Hopefully they won't but I've seen it happen, they come running from everywhere to join in the fun.

Judging by your thread count you have obviously been in Thailand for the odd week or two ,especially to ask such a newbie question, while never having experience of being attacked by a group of men ,but I was involved in a deadly shooting in, deepest isaan many moons ago,I distinctly rememember the puyai bahns advice,in case of life threatening situations, head between legs and kiss arse goodbye!!rolleyes.gif

Who's going to train you to take out an entire mob of guys armed just with a baton? Jackie Chan?

Those who have trained do not need to kill anyone with a pistol. But we can take them out of an equation...

But this sort of thing -- mobs attacking total strangers -- usually only happens in specific sorts of situations and places: night time around drinking scenes with someone who has lost his sense of good judgement and happens to piss someone off. OR in genuinely dangerous and marginalised districts, which you don't generally find in Thailand. It seems much easier just to stay out of these types of situations than to carry a weapon, unless you just like the idea of carrying a weapon.

But do remember to be careful in the food courts when looking for an empty seat. You might want to carry a good, sturdy brolly!

It's definitely the weapon of choice.

Yes, and a lot of just left around the tables, probably discarded by raving mobs of retired guys who can't find their wives.

But do remember to be careful in the food courts when looking for an empty seat. You might want to carry a good, sturdy brolly!

Yes, and a lot of just left around the tables, probably discarded by raving mobs of retired guys who can't find their wives.

Thats why they keep touching them - so they know where they are.

Thats why they keep touching them - so they know where they are.

That's right: easy come, easy go.