Good and Legal weapon for Defending Oneself in Thailand?

waynethor

In one of the threads about the British couple who were murdered on Koh Tao, a side-discussion was going on about carrying a knife for self-defense, and it was pointed out that apart from probably being a bad idea in general, it's illegal. I'm sure we'd all agree that if a foreigner killed a Thai in self defense, there's still a good chance the foreigner will face a long jail term for using a weapon like a knife.

What can we carry for self-defense? I suppose pepper spray might be one of the best bets as it can't actually kill a person but is probably effective in rendering an attacker helpless, but I don't want to carry a can of it around in my pocket.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep a loaded crossbow in my bedroom in case I have an intruder, and a slingshot to scare away cats that get overly noisy when procreating in my back yard.

p.s. I'm an animal lover, so I fire little water balloons at the cats. Even a near miss tends to dissuade their ardour satisfactorily.

EDIT: I see many blokes don't go anywhere without their 2-piece pool cue in a case/bag. I guess that could be considered a useful weapon that won't get you arrested for carrying it around.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

OP, read the numerous threads on TVF how to treat dogs when they attack you.

Never show fear, but always show your opponents that he will have a hard time with you.

98% will turn away.

For the other 2% find a stick a stone or any other object and try to attack first.

If all these doesn't work......make sure you have a good hospital insurance.

Good Luck.

Oh dear! I hope your not comparing Thai people to dogs. But thanks for that advice. When I have a question about what to do when dog attacks I'l take your advice about reading those posts. Now, let's get back on topic and talk about human attacks.

Dear Mods,

If one more person insists on saying that you just shouldn't get yourself in any type of potentially dangerous situation, please close this thread. Perhaps it's my fault for not making it REALLY REALLY clear in my OP that we're talking about an unavoidable situation. Do I really have to say that? Isn't it the most obvious thing imaginable?

Thanks to those who actually made a suggestion, sincere or not. But Gsxrnc brings up a good question about defending oneself in a nighttime home invasion situation. He keeps a crossbow at hand, which is probably better than the meat tenderizer I keep beside the bed. I now suspect that people will reply by saying "just don't let anybody break into your home."

Well you are the one who was afraid of getting into trouble for using a knife and you didn't want to carry pepper spray around with you. So what do you want? A bodyguard?

If you want to protect your home get a gun or several but learn how to use them properly.

• Like 1

OP, read the numerous threads on TVF how to treat dogs when they attack you.

Never show fear, but always show your opponents that he will have a hard time with you.

98% will turn away.

For the other 2% find a stick a stone or any other object and try to attack first.

If all these doesn't work......make sure you have a good hospital insurance.

Good Luck.

Thai dogs are cowards, focus their eyes and they will be afraid.....(Don't try it with a German Shepard or Rottweiler), but on the other side they work well as pack....while 1-2 get your attention others circle around you and try to get your from behind.

We had a dangerous pack in the street, they made problems with everyone....My mother came to visit....had some lovely dog food with her. Since when they saw her they protected her, even when she was without food.

One elderly woman walking with 10 dogs around her which don't let anyone come close to her laugh.png

• Like 1

Dear Mods,

If one more person insists on saying that you just shouldn't get yourself in any type of potentially dangerous situation, please close this thread. Perhaps it's my fault for not making it REALLY REALLY clear in my OP that we're talking about an unavoidable situation. Do I really have to say that? Isn't it the most obvious thing imaginable?

Thanks to those who actually made a suggestion, sincere or not. But Gsxrnc brings up a good question about defending oneself in a nighttime home invasion situation. He keeps a crossbow at hand, which is probably better than the meat tenderizer I keep beside the bed. I now suspect that people will reply by saying "just don't let anybody break into your home."

Well you are the one who was afraid of getting into trouble for using a knife and you didn't want to carry pepper spray around with you. So what do you want? A bodyguard?

If you want to protect your home get a gun or several but learn how to use them properly.

No, no, no!!!

I thought I made it clear in the OP that it was something being discussed in another thread and I figured it would be worthy of discussion in a thread of its own. The only thing I want is people's opinions or methods, simply for the sake of discussion.

But I've learned never to initiate a topic for discussion here again, so I suppose it was worthwhile. 555

• Like 1

Don't carry a weapon. Carry a brain.

You should be able to avoid or talk your way out of any situation using the brain you're carrying.

If you truly need to carry a weapon, hire someone to do it for you.

A man carries a brain.

A grunt carries a weapon.

Men hire grunts to protect them.

" talk your way out of any situation using the brain you're carrying."

Really?

So I'm unlucky to get involved in an altercation with a Thai (who speaks NO English) and I speak NO Thai.........PLEASE tell me how I am supposed to "talk my way out of the situation"? I would love to know.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You should be able to avoid or talk your way out of any situation using the brain you're carrying.

A man carries a brain.

Really?

So I'm unlucky to get involved in an altercation with a Thai (who speaks NO English) and I speak NO Thai.........PLEASE tell me how I am supposed to "talk my way out of the situation"? I would love to know.

If you can't talk to him, it's pretty hard to see how you would get into an altercation in the first place.

A man carries a brain.

Really?

Learn to speak and understand Thai using that brain you're carrying.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A man carries a brain.

Really?

If you can't talk to him, it's pretty hard to see how you would get into an altercation in the first place.

Are you serious?

Who said the "altercation' had to be verbal?? Maybe his actions pissed me off or I did something to piss him off.

A man carries a brain.

Really?

Learn to speak and understand Thai using that brain you're carrying.

Absolutely........because it's such an easy language to master.

So if someone is a tourist visiting Thailand, they should speak and understand Thai BEFORE they get here??

The fact that people raise or even consider the question suggests there's a problem, not to do with personal safety but more to do with personal confidence and attitude. Living in Detroit in the 1970's and NY in the 1980's, I never carried a weapon nor felt the need to; in London during the 1990's the same applied - why then would I even consider the question whilst living in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1