Cold weather arrives in Thailand's North and Isaan

webfact

Cold weather arrives in Thailand's North and Northeast

BANGKOK, 6 October 2014 (NNT) - Temperatures in the North and Northeast are expected to drop by 3-5 degrees Celsius during the next one or two days ahead, whereas temperatures atop the mountains have already plummeted as much as 20 degrees Celsius.

Heavy fog has blanketed parts of Nan province during the morning, prompting commuters to be extra cautious when traveling. The lowest ground-level temperature in the province has reached 22 degrees Celsius by today, whereas the average temperature on top of the mountains are somewhere between 17-18 degrees Celsius.

Tourists traveling to national parks situated atop the mountains are advised to prepare themselves with proper clothing and carefully study their routes before traveling to such areas.

Elsewhere in Loei province, a thick layer of fog has covered many parts of the roads. Locals and tourists have been warned to be extra cautious, as the fog has reduced the visibility level to less than 100 meters.

The Meteorological Department has reported that from October 6-11, a strong high pressure cell coming in from China is set to cover parts of the North and Northeast. Gusty winds and thunderstorms are expected to follow as a result of this phenomenon.

A monsoon trough coming in from the South will also cause increased rainfall in the southern region and heavy rains in some areas.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-06 footer_n.gif

weather forecasts for all Thai provinces: http://weather.thaivisa.com

Coats and blankets donation time. They've sold everything they got last year.

rumour is the new goverment are to install central heating free of chargesmile.png

Can you hear Ken Dodd singing " Happiness, Happiness " ?

Costas described the morning in Khon Kaen and it's exactly the same in my part of Udon Thani but my next door neighbour went to work wearing a jacket befitting someone on the bridge of a merchant ship during the Atlantic convoys.

• Like 2

rumour is the new goverment are to install central heating free of chargesmile.png

Costas described the morning in Khon Kaen and it's exactly the same in my part of Udon Thani but my next door neighbour went to work wearing a jacket befitting someone on the bridge of a merchant ship during the Atlantic convoys.

It really is funny, and we really do tend to get acclimated. I grew up in very low humidity with very few cloudy days and not a lot of rainfall.

In the winter it would freeze the ground and it would stay that way for perhaps 4 months. The temps would often get down to -30 F or about 60 F below freezing. But when it's dry and sunny, it feels much warmer during the day and we didn't dress all that heavily.

In the summer it would get up to about 95 F (35 C?) but again with low humidity it didn't feel all that hot.

It would take me longer than 180 days, the longest I've spent in Thailand, to ever get used to the heat and high humidity. It's all in what you're used to, I guess.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 2

not a rumour anymore they [gov] have done a deal [ the sticks and matches] can be collected at any 7-11.

I've been in Thailand a few years and have never been cold yet!

Anything above 5c is just not cold for me.

It is amusing to see Thais walk around shivering, putting on coats ( warmer ones than they wear in hot weather!) and even start warming fires to stand around in the village!

In California, I looked forward to a cold snap in the weather.

A braless girl in a tight shirt on a cold morning is a thing of beauty!

Here in Thailand, even the sub-A cups, never go braless..

post-147745-0-80727700-1412569938_thumb.

Well with Oslo pulling out of the bidding for the 2022 Winter Olympics, sounds like a great opportunity for TAT. I'm sure the crack team over there can spin a cold snap into future alpine conditions descending on northern Thailand by 2022.

Slalom down Doi Suthep

Bobsledding in Khon Kaen

Speed skating on the Mekong

Oh I await with the excitement the "we can confirm" statement

It really is funny, and we really do tend to get acclimated. I grew up in very low humidity with very few cloudy days and not a lot of rainfall.

In the winter it would freeze the ground and it would stay that way for perhaps 4 months. The temps would often get down to -30 F or about 60 F below freezing. But when it's dry and sunny, it feels much warmer during the day and we didn't dress all that heavily.

In the summer it would get up to about 95 F (35 C?) but again with low humidity it didn't feel all that hot.

It would take me longer than 180 days, the longest I've spent in Thailand, to ever get used to the heat and high humidity. It's all in what you're used to, I guess.

Blimey...Where did you live with those temperature variations. On Mercury! thumbsup.gif

excelent for my farang fig tree..hard to raise in a tropical area..incredible as some plant have a quick reaction when it is getting cold, anyway for foreigner leaving long term here a bit of coldness make us normally quiet happy....so enjoy!

coffee1.gif

Blimey...Where did you live with those temperature variations. On Mercury! thumbsup.gif

"Blimey...Where did you live with those temperature variations. On Mercury!" thumbsup.gif
Actually there are a lot of places in W, USA like that. Winds coming in from the Pacific Ocean are relatively warm. But once they reach and go over the Cascade and Sierra Nevada Mountains the air rises high enough to condense and drop most of its moisture. Then on the E. Side it will not only be much drier, but it will be much colder partly due to a higher elevation in the high deserts, and partly due to the lack of warmer coastal winds.
E.Washington, Oregon, NE California, Montana, Wyoming, to name a few are like that. Some people really love it because the high number of sunny days mitigates some of the cold. There's never deep snow due to a lack of precipitation overall.
post-164212-0-56274200-1412604684_thumb.
post-164212-0-05611700-1412604683_thumb.
Edited by NeverSure