Glass for roof.

Chas Gannon

Hi Guy's

This is my first time on posting a topic, so please bear with me.

I having a house built in Hua Hin and I want to build a glass roof over an area normally left open.

I am a builder in blighty and I put a lot of glass roofs over here, when speaking to the british builder in Thailand, he says " They do not build glass roofs over here" so I have imported the glazing bars, so I just need to find a glazer in Hua Hin whom I can order the 6mm Tempered glass from, does any one know!

Cheers

Chas

I'm not a builder but I have to agree with HHF on this one.

My neighbour finished building his house this year and had a porch area with a perspex or some other clear material for the roof and the same for his roof terrace. A few months later the builders came back and fastened boarding material under the perspex as it was too hot to sit under it.

• Like 1

Blinds could be put up for when sunlight is directly on the roof to block the heat.

Hi Guy's

Thanks for your responses much appreciated!!!

Good point regards the heat!,,in the uk the glass has double sealed units and contains a gas in between the glass called Argon Gas, this reflects the heat in the summer and holds heat in during the winter.

I don't suppose i would get that in Thailand! what about using the film they put on Car windscreens do you think that would help!!!The area I am looking at is only 6x8" and its in the bathroom.

Cheers!

Chas

Auto film on the glass will help. I does help reduce the heat.

Don't know your situation but if the glass roof is to get better light in the bathroom you could use those some of those glass building blocks in the wall construction.

They will let in light but being on the wall will not be in direct sunlight all day.

smile.png

• 2 years later...

Chas,

Saw your post from 2014 about the glass roof and wondered whether you eventually put one in. I'm currently considering a glass roof here in Thailand, but have the same concern about heat as others in the thread. What was your experience here?

Also, been looking into solar control, UV films that can be applied. Any experience with those?

https://www.windowfilm.co.uk/commercial/heat

Hope this reaches you. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Ttan