Advice needed: travelling to Vientiane by train

I will be travelling to Vientiane by train next week to get my double-entry visa. This will be my first time in Laos and also my first to be on a long hour train ride. So my knowledge on what the train will be like, where to get the ticket, and what to expect on the ride is very limited to only what I read on the internet. I know a lot of members here have already tried this adventure. biggrin.png Would you mind sharing your experiences?

Any tips? What to do and not to do? Where to get the ticket. What to bring? What to expect? How can I get from point A (Bangkok) to point B (Vientiane) with not so much trouble? And of course what to expect/what to do/what not to do at the border (in terms of immigration) ?

Thanks.

You can but the tickets at any train station. If you want a sleeper you need to buy it in advance.

See: http://www.railway.co.th/home/default.aspx?ID=〈=EN

Never taken the train to Nong Khai but have taken several to here in Ubon. The 2nd class sleeper is good.

If you want to go all the way to Vientiane you have to change trains in in Nong Khai.

It you are planning on getting a visa at the embassy it would probably be best to just take the train to Nong Khai and then get a tuk tuk to the bridge.

• Like 2

I've taken the overnight train to Nong Khai a couple times and really enjoy it. 2nd class aircon sleeper is the way to go. You may not need aircon, but the cars are much newer than the 2nd class fan cars. 1st class is just plain boring. You're shut up in a little closet and you still have to go down to the end of the car for a shared toilet, so no real advantage to first class, unless you're concerned about watching a lot of luggage.

Skip the little shuttle train from Nong Khai to Vientiane. It's a real waste of time waiting around for it. Just take a tuk-tuk from the Nong Khai rail station.

• Like 1

Trains in Thailand rarely run on time (meaning they are often late arriving). Be prepared as it might affect your planned timetable.

I took the train to Nong Khai once and it took 14 hours....had the worst headache and hard to sleep with the movement of the old cars. The connecting train to Vientiane does not really go into the city so there is no big advantage. I flew back. A plane to Udon Thani is one option to consider. If Lao Central Airlines is still flying that is a really cheap flight from Bangkok to Vientiane. I will never take another long train trip in this country until there is a major upgrade including foible tracks.

• Like 2

you can also get to Nong Khai by bus. Now narcon thai air drive from Bangkok to Nong Khai 1 class I don't know the price but you can Google for it. when come to Nong Khai take a duk duk 80 baht to border. Lao visa 1500 baht + 1 picture thai visa tourist 1000 baht double tourist visa 2000 baht

Non immigrant 3 month 2000 baht have to prove document + 2 picture.

Edited by beowolf2012

Lao visa 1500 baht + 1 picture thai visa tourist 1000 baht double tourist visa 2000 baht

As often mentioned. Laos visa is $30/35 depending on nationality. Pay in USD (new bills and exact change) for a nice saving.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

My advice is if you are doing this trip by train is to " make an adventure out of it " and spend a few days there! Yes it takes a long time but i am never in a rush! There is so much going on and loads of " chit chat " with the locals - you just won't want to get off!

The trains are fab if i was doing the trip i love the scenery so i would want as much " daylight hours as possible " on the train but if you are not bothered then go for the " second class sleeper " ( as mentioned before by our " Global Moderator " .....) The trains in Thailand are fab and " the only way to travel " ( roads are boring,dangerous and no scenery to take in ) If it was me then keep your eyes peeled for fab train stations on the way and then maybe stop and spend some time there on the way back,it breaks the journey up and you get to explore new places!!!

Let the fun begin viewers!

Farang Jaidee w00t.gif

Lao visa 1500 baht + 1 picture thai visa tourist 1000 baht double tourist visa 2000 baht

As often mentioned. Laos visa is $30/35 depending on nationality. Pay in USD (new bills and exact change) for a nice saving.

Is visa fees for "Myanmar" citizens exempted?

I took the train to Nong Khai once and it took 14 hours....had the worst headache and hard to sleep with the movement of the old cars. The connecting train to Vientiane does not really go into the city so there is no big advantage. I flew back. A plane to Udon Thani is one option to consider. If Lao Central Airlines is still flying that is a really cheap flight from Bangkok to Vientiane. I will never take another long train trip in this country until there is a major upgrade including foible tracks.

I couldn't agree more. I took the train to Chang Mae from Nakhon Sawan - 8 hrs and so bumpy/noisy and uncomfortable - we didn't get above 40mph as they are still using the sames tracks from WW2. Forget all the other infrastructure projects Thailand needs a major upgrade on the rail network.

The scenery was good tho'

Edited by Jaggg88
  • Like 1

OP,

I would fly to Udon Thani and from there with some other transport to the border.

Cheap, when you book in advance, with Air Asia, Lion Air,

Nok Air has even a bus shuttle service from airport Udon to inside Vientiane (all flights from Don Muang)

starting 600 B. (Lion Air promotion) - 1.600 Baht one way) and even the more fancy Bangkok air has a "special price" to, from Udon from Suvarnabhumi.

Train and bus, long distance, in TH? No thank you, from menono.gif, for that small price difference.thumbsup.gif

not sure how often i have taken this trip, but often. It is, okay. If you take this route do the overnight 2nd class sleeper. Leaves BKK at around 820pm. Is almost always late arriving 8-10am next morning. At train station take a tuktuk to the border (5-10 minutes away). There are usually 10-15 tuktuk drivers all waiting for business and the going rate is about 50 baht. It can be very hectic with everybody trying to barter, tuktuk drivers trying to jam 5 people with luggage into their tuktuks, and everybody tired from a long journey, so just stay calm. Normal immigration procedures, show your passport & departure card.

As mentioned take USD for the Laos visait will save you money. Rate varies subject to the passport issuing country. Canadians pay $42, many others pay either $35 or $30.

I wouldn't get a hotel or guest house nesr the consulate, but prefer closer to Nam Phu (fountain square) as there are many restaurants and decent shopping in thevregion as well as a good selection of accommodations.

The ride from the birder into Vientiane takes about 30 to 45 minutes and is best if you share a mini van or shuttle service. You meet many like minded travelers so can get some ideas of what to do. I take my car so do not know current rates but look around 100-150 baht for shared service. I would not recommend taking a tuk tuk as it is a long journey, dusty andcreally not that much fun.

good lyck and google more info from this sute, llenty if threads of past trip reports.

I have done 1st class sleeper overnight train with my GF in a private room and 2nd class overnight sleeper and they are both fun for me but I like 1st class best. Make sure you book early at the station. At Nong Khai you can bargan the tuk tuk drivers for a cheap ride to the border. Its not too far if the weather is nice it is a easy walk. Bring a passport picture. I just went and they only wanted one picture and $35 in US dollars. Get some Laos Kips at the atm after you cross and then it is easy to get a van to the city for 100 baht or you can take the green bus to the Vientiane Bus station for cheap only 6000 kips. The same bus #14 will bring you right back to the boarder when you are finished getting your visa and ready to leave. Book your hotel on the internet in advance for the best rates. It takes 2 days to get your visa. Fill out the forms the morning of the 1st day and then get your visa the afternoon the next day. Have to pay in Baht 1000 per entry. good luck

I got Laos visa at Laos consulate in Bangkok then took aircon double decker bus from Mochit to Vientiane Bus station. Checked into a Hotel about 100 meters from station and was taken to Thai Embassy by taxi. Dropped off paperwork then went around the city ate at former French Restaurant and picked up my non-O visa the next day. Stayed an extra day to take in the sites.

wow...people here complain of everything

i just came this morning from vientiane...amazing..i stayed more than 1 month. i loved it.

now they are celebrating a festival, the streets near the river are full of shops, street restaurants and fun.

The weather is fresh..

to go there, the train from BKK start around 6, there is another at 7 i think ,but check on internet.

in nong khai, take a tuk tuk to the border (i was reading online of people almost scared about, "oh how many travellers and crowded and log queues:..nah...it was only me that morning.

after you do the thai check out, there is a small bus that cross people to Lao immigration. fill a form, pay and wait few minutes.

After that, close to immigration there is a green bus (public) number 14., charge 30 baht to the bus station (30 minutes).

from there, you can walk (if u have a map) or take a tuk tuk to the hotels area (near the river or fountain) its a really nice area.

In Lao you can use thai Baht everywhere, so dont worry. (20 baht = 5.000 kips and 1 us dollar = 8000 kips aprox)

To return, i did the same but opposite...green bus to border.....lao check out...small bus to thai immigration...i walked to train station and bough the ticket (there is trains at 6 and 7.15 pm) i arrived in bbk at 8.30 am

enjoy Laos !!!!!!!!!! i already miss it :/