More Excellent Books !

jimmy5L

Hi folks,

Talking about “Thai” books in the topic “letter from a Thai lady”, I recommended reading: “My name is Lon”

There are other good books as well like “hel_l’s prisoner”, “Forgot you had a Daughter” and “The damage done”, books about somebody who goes to prison for drugs! A Thai prison. Not a place I recommend, and I have never been there!

And there are still farangs smoking dope in the land of smiles! (Brainless??) :D

Other book is: The falcon of Siam by Axel Aylwen, excellent history!

:o

there are still farangs smoking dope in the land of smiles! (Brainless??)

And whats your point? Also Thais smoke dope. Not on the same scale as Damage Done is it? Brainless? Why do you say that? Because you have never smoked weed? Or because you have no idea? Please add more.

Edited by Jockstar

Jockstar:

I’m Dutch, a friend got a coffees chop in Amsterdam! I know everything about dope, but I do not smoke myself!

The point: recommend good books to read!

Why I wrote: there are still farangs smoking dope in the land of smiles (brainless!)?:

simple, if they get caught they are in trouble! Big trouble!

Not that difficult to understand if you have brains!

Enjoy reading the books!

Enjoy your time in jail (Bangkok jail) if you smoke dope and get caught!

Read a book recently called "Welcome to hel_l" by Colin Martin. He writes about his 8 year struggle inside The Bangkok Hilton and tells us about his expiences with the hopelessly corrupt Thai Police (his words, not mine). :o

From what I read, I agree with Jimmy5L that a Thai prison is definitely a place that you don't want to be in. Overcrowded jails, regular beatings by guards and having to put up with filthy Thai inmates doesn't appeal to me.:D

Also you don't want to be dealing with the Thai justice system if you ain't got no money. Lets just say that if you have no money then you're bascically up shit creek without a paddle. :D

Also you don't want to be dealing with the Thai justice system if you ain't got no money. Lets just say that if you have no money then you're bascically up shit creek without a paddle. :o

Hmm, even if you "have" money, you still don't want to deal with the Thai justice system!

On KSR you often see farang’s smoking dope! Some (like hill-billy jockstar!) know it better! Until they get caught, but then it’s too late and the shit starts.

–I did not know –Nobody told me –I didn’t do anything . . .

It’s always the same story!

The best prison book of ALL time is Papillion by Henri Charriere.

It's not about Thailand, but there are lots of simularities to local prison books and it's too good to ignore here! :D

That’s right Ulysses, I forgot about that one, read that one about 20 years ago, the book is excellent, the film is good too with McQueen and Hofman

Excellent film is Midnight Express!

! Some (like hill-billy jockstar!) know it better!

Fairplay, Jock was just asking you to expand your original and fairly ambiguous post.

He has not advocated the smoking of weed.

It's a good idea to not associate TV members with illegal activities, your time here will be more enjoyable if you follow that line.

The best prison book of ALL time is Papillion by Henri Charriere.

It's not about Thailand, but there are lots of simularities to local prison books and it's too good to ignore here! :o

Absolutley, there's no other prison book that even comes close, it's a truly epic tale. Anyone read his second book. Banco?

I havn't been able to get hold of it yet, but i've heard it's extremely good. About his life in South America as a free man after his Prison ordeals.

! Some (like hill-billy jockstar!) know it better!

Fairplay, Jock was just asking you to expand your original and fairly ambiguous post.

He has not advocated the smoking of weed.

It's a good idea to not associate TV members with illegal activities, your time here will be more enjoyable if you follow that line.

Good morning friends,

I wrote :

And there are still farangs smoking dopes in the land of smiles! (Brainless??)

I consider “Brainless”, farang’s who smoke dope in Thailand bearing in mind the risk they take!

Anything wrong with that?

- - - - -

Jockstar wrote:

“What’s the point?” and “why I say brainless?”

After reading these books, most people will come to a conclusion not to mess with dope here!

Right?

- - - - -

Now, I don’t care if people smoke or traffic dope here, as long as they don’t bother me with asking to help, sympathy or money for them ones they get caught!

Anyway, all I did was proposing a couple good, easy to read, thin, famous, books!

So, Jockstar and Chonabot, are we still friends? :D

:D

Why I wrote: there are still farangs smoking dope in the land of smiles (brainless!)?:

Hey dude, people turn on all over the world, whether it's illegal or not, got nuthing to do with "brains".

Get an education and relax, enjoy your books and Thailand - it's beautiful!

Hey dude, people turn on all over the world, whether it's illegal or not, got nuthing to do with "brains".

Get an education and relax, enjoy your books and Thailand - it's beautiful!

OK sir, I will get an education!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.

I posted over 100 book reviews on http://www.chinarice.org/bookreview.html and that's only in the past 2 years. I've been reading since perhaps 1970. For me to condense all that into a single post would be madness.

Heck, I've edited about 200 published novels. Most sucked, but it pays the bills.

Heck, I've published 5 books, which is about 5 more than Bush has read.

Have you guessed that I love books? And, perhaps, Chang Beer.

Cheers!

Michael

post-32884-1155482670_thumb.jpg

Edited by CalicoConsulting

• 4 months later...

Hi.

Did anyone read 'You'll Never Walk alone' by Debbie Singh. Her brother had been in prison in Bangkok for seven months. His crime was that he tried to cash a traveller’s cheque and it was fraudulent and so he got a ten year sentence. His name was John Doran. He ended up becoming the first australian transferred back home under the prisoner transfer agreement. I haven't read the book yet but I heard it's good.

Also, Nightmare in Laos by Kay Danes. Has had great reviews and has interesting connections with thailand. Her and her husband were jailed in laos. He was a special forces officer who went there to head up a security company and they got taken hostage, held in a prison worse than anything I've heard about in thailand and then got released when their government came to the rescue. makes bangkok hilton look like summer camp.

when i searched the publishers... they're done by the same one. As is the book out now by Chavoret Jaruboon who executed 55 prisoners in thailand. there's a few good books on the publisher's website... [Maverick House] and I heard that they are doing another one relating to Thai prisons. Susan Aldous has a book out next year.. the media dubbed her the angel of Bangkwang.

cheers.

read "Forget you had a daughter" ...makes one cringe...i say people planning on getting involved in any silly drug involvement...no matter how small the amount..should read such books. really shows how a little bit of loss desperation/loneliness/naivety will lead to. felt really sorry for her :o

havent read Kay Danes book, but am aware she has since her release from Laos been doing a lot of lobbying and welfare related work for foreign prisoners. i salute her work :D cheers Kay, and all others out there doing your good deeds.

Also you don't want to be dealing with the Thai justice system if you ain't got no money. Lets just say that if you have no money then you're bascically up shit creek without a paddle. :D

Hmm, even if you "have" money, you still don't want to deal with the Thai justice system!

On KSR you often see farang’s smoking dope! Some (like hill-billy jockstar!) know it better! Until they get caught, but then it’s too late and the shit starts.

–I did not know –Nobody told me –I didn’t do anything . . .

It’s always the same story!

im sorry mate,

but thats simply not true and a rediculous statement to make.

farang never smoke dope on the street as theres cops walking that street all the time.

it would be true to say that some still smoke in the cheaper guesthouse but its a very silly thing to do as you have stated before.

real big problems if you get caught . :o

I havr read forget you had a daughter. it is the biggest pile of drivel ever. The woman was looking for sympathy for something she knew she shouldn't be doing at the time. Glad it was given to me and I didn't waste money on it. :D

Aren't I a misery guts? :o

I havr read forget you had a daughter. it is the biggest pile of drivel ever. The woman was looking for sympathy for something she knew she shouldn't be doing at the time. Glad it was given to me and I didn't waste money on it. :D

Aren't I a misery guts? :o

Ha ha ... your post made me chuckle leisure-leee ... I don't know why but it made me laugh ... thankyou ... :D

Yeah, I read the Damage is Done, and hel_l's Prisoner. Some say that the Damage is Done was sensationalized. Scared the heck out of me.

I wonder how much of that book was the truth? I've been to Ban Kwang once and spoke to a Scottish guy there. He told me that he wouldn't want to be transferred to the UK because Thai prisons were easier going.

I also read 'Forget you had a daughter' and thought it was OK. But I got the impression that she thought the British prisons were tonnes worse than the Thai ones!

Other prison books:

'Life and Death in Shanghai' Nien Cheng - imprisonment during China's Cultural Revolution

'A few kind words and a loaded gun' Razor Smith - mixture of his 'career' and 'career breaks'