Thai PM fears 'undercurrents' of unrest would jeopardise peace if martial law lifted

webfact

Asked if he would consider talking to the political parties, he replied: "Why do I have to talk with them? They need to follow the law like everyone."

It would appear that the suggestion to "hone" his "media skills" is still valid....................coffee1.gif

• Like 2

"He said he realised martial law was not in keeping with democracy in the eyes of the international community..." or any other community, for that matter. Since the coup, there have been no mass protests, no riots, and no other overt acts of resistance. The biggest sign of "unrest" is social media, where people still have access to other than "official" information and exercise relatively free speech. He has already complained about that, so it's on his radar.

• Like 1

"Why do I have to talk with them? They need to follow the law like everyone."

This is an odd statement from someone who should know that a military overthrow of an elected government endorsed by the King was illegal, that the Junta's suspension of the constitution was illegal,. and that the Junta's created absolute power over the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government was illegal. If military juntas followed the rule of law, there would be no coups.

Good post thumbsup.gif

But the only real law in Thailand is the one, that is keeping the present feudal system in place, no matter who is pretending to be PM at any time!!

It all boils down to a very powerfull group of people, who have the support of the highest power.

Somehow it would seem the previous PM didn't do much better in helping to keep the feudal system in place. The popularity of Thaksin's party seems to depend on it. Allegedly that is, on both counts.

Mind you our level headed chap suggested that if the Martial Law was lifted in Bangkok we'd immediately see anti-PDRC protests. Even without nightly cowardly attacks with gun-fire and grenades, that's not a situation we in Bangkok look forward to.

Edited by rubl

Asked if he would consider talking to the political parties, he replied: "Why do I have to talk with them? They need to follow the law like everyone."

Why does that make me feel kind of worried? Have we seen this before?

• Like 1

From what i hear , his greatest worry will be either another general staging a revolt while he travels overseas .

Or being targeted by one of the many international agencies (like CIA_ MI5 ) who want him out off the way.

Is the Bedrock Bugle your source for this information, Fred?