Buying Mac parts from ifixit.com in US: high customs charges ever a problem?

partington

I have an old MacBook Pro core duo from late 2006, the A1211 one, and it's been extremely reliable up until yesterday when the left fan started making a continuous huge whirring noise, and its speed began fluctuating wildly from 3000 to 0 and back again every few seconds. It's obviously going to fail in the next day or so, but I think I can follow instructions on ifixit.com and replace it myself.

Searching the macparts.in th site and the few other Thai ones I can find (and navigate) doesn't turn up the right part, only ifixit in the US seems to have it. It's $40 and says they deliver by Fedex for $35, or by USPS international priority for a whacking $56!

Obviously I'd prefer to pay $75 rather than nearly $100, but I have read that when you get stuff delivered by FedEx you get hit with massive and often random customs duties that can add up to more than double the initial cost. In that case it would be better to get the USPS delivery.

So my question is, has anyone ordered from ifixit and got a delivery to Thailand by FedEx, and if so, did you get hit with a huge customs bill?

Thanks for any info...

Edited by partington

It's certainly possible, but I don't think they keep a big stock of parts, and would probably have to order from Singapore. They still have batteries for this model because I bought one there last week, but not much else...

I will ask them next time I'm there what the price would be, but just wanted to find out about the order myself option, in addition to the ordering through a dealer option. Thanks for advice though!

• 4 weeks later...

Fans in my Macbook Pro 2008 failed. I bought new ones from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CYAN5PG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buy it , and have it shipped to a friend. Then have them send it to you via

the US postal system. Fedex items are always grabbed by customs.

Postal service priority mail will come directly to your house and no duty.

When changing out the fans, be EXTREMELY careful about disconnecting the fan plug.

Watch some videos on how to do it. I snapped off the connector from the main board

and had a hell of a time trying to fix it. Had to order the tiny plug, special solder,

a special soldering tip, and make a special jig to hold it. Cost me a month of downtime

on the computer...