how does one visit people in jail and help them

jacksam

I used to go to the Samui prison once a month and take some food, books and old DVD's. You just need a name of someone in there. I am sure there are charities that organise visits or try the embassy.

regardless of why they are inside it isn't very nice and any help is greatly appreciated by all.

Sometimes its nice to be nice as the wife says.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

for phuket ,

you go in the morning ( 9 am or so ) give them copy of ur passport an who u wish to visit,

than they put you on the list,

you wait an when ur called they check what your giving them ( an take it from you to give to them) and u go into the room an speak with them thru glass using a telephone for 5 minutes.

you can also give them Baht which goes into their prison account

• Like 1

The jail in Bangkok does not allow anything from outside inside the jail or detention centers. You can only deposit money into the criminals account, they can then use that to buy stuff at the prisons mini store. The only exception is that, criminals in detention, can order KFC / PIzza Hut / MCD. I think once you are in the real jail, you don't get that luxury.

Not sure about the jails in other places, perhaps they are more lenient.

Thanks for all the advice....well except mcfish re all heroin dealers etc. TV is full of sweeping statements like this.

There is a saying ...but for the grace of god...etc.

Humility is a virtue. Not saying I have it, but I do subscribe to "get off your high horse"

• Like 2

can't understand why people do this for people they do not know, probably drug dealers, kiddie fiddlers and murderers, do they get a kick from it? As has been said many more worthy causes including orhpans and HIV refuges. Orphanages are particularly sad places that need help, drug dealers and low lifes???????

I believe that what kept many people from visiting jailed acquaintances, is that when doing it, your name very well possible goes on file. If I would be a tourist, I wouldn't have second thoughts about visiting a prisoner, but being an expat, no. Of course you are clean and you only chance to know this guy, but you don't even want to give the remotest impression that you might have anything to do with the type of crime he committed. Would only do it if I knew the person very well.

• Like 2

Perhaps not knowing their crime is best. Everyone deserves a smiling face and a conversation. I would do it.

I'd rather donate to or help victims of violent crime, homeless kids, soi dogs and cats.....scumbag crims are right at the bottom of the line and even then I wouldn't bother. each to their own, I'm not here to give the OP a hard time, you however patsy, well that's a different story ;)

Anyway, best of luck to the OP, hopefully the crook he does a good turn by learns something from it.

can't understand why people do this for people they do not know, probably drug dealers, kiddie fiddlers and murderers, do they get a kick from it? As has been said many more worthy causes including orhpans and HIV refuges. Orphanages are particularly sad places that need help, drug dealers and low lifes???????

We're all just products of our genes and environments. Nothing else. And we choose neither of those things. While reflecting on your superiority to "drug dealers and kiddie fiddlers", consider that you were dealt, through chance not merit, a significantly better hand in life than them. Something to be thankful for. And a reason to show compassion to those less fortunate.

This doesn't change the fact that, at this point in history, a system of punishments is required to maintain social cohesion.

• Like 2

About a year ago I had a conversation with a journalist who claimed that about half of the foreigners in Thai prisons were either completely not guilty of the crime they were accused of, were taken advantage of or were set up.

I thought at the time that this was an exaggeration but it was confirmed by a consul - I don't wish to mention which country the consul was attached to as it was said in confidence.

should you closer to your embassy. In principle, they have a service to visitors prisons. As for France.

That said, I agree for the visit orphanages. Poor children do not know why they are locked up, but for the prisoners, most familiar with the cause of their detentioneven though I'm sure that there be innocents. But good !!!

some of these attitudes from the "I don't understand why you would donate/spend time amongst the Junkies/dealers and molesters instead of HIV orphans etc" crowd are stupid. How do you know the OP doesn't donate his/her time to those causes as eel?..I think it shows the utmost courage and altruism to be helping out a group that gets stigmatised and branded as "unworthy of compassion/aid." I can guarantee you that the people who want to help this group would and have helped out one of your "pre-approved" more "deserving" group. Not everyone who is in jail is a "scumbag at the bottom of the line" A truly compassionate person shares those qualities with any different groups not just a single one...just my thoughts anyway

Edited by Smurkster

and take some food, books and old DVD's.

Sheesh - they have DVD players in prison?? I thought this was Thailand, not Sweden.

Or perhaps they use the old DVDs for some nefarious purpose...

There are no DVDs allowed in Swedish prisons. Where did you get that idea from?

Easiest way is if you know someone on the inside for a crime contact his attorney he can help you or contact remand prison he or she is in for visiting hours. You can give them baht and such. But if you have any trouble with the law best avoid it. Also can wait outside monks go in some times and they can help.

What I can't understand about the posters on this forum who appear to have the attitude towards those in prisons here is that they should rot in hell, is that they will probably be found posting on other forums complaining about the BIB fabricating evidence, and prosecuting others for offences they are completely innocent of. But then this is Thailand where no Thai would do such a thing especially one of the BIB

• Like 1

Unbelievable there is always some " higher than mighty " clown that has to push his or her misguided attitude onto others all the OP asked was how can he help in essence another human being in a worse position than himself . If you cannot help with useful advice it is better to say nothing instead of showing your complete ignorance and lack of compassion .

• Like 1

I have been visiting a couple of prisoners here in Thailand for about nine years and the prison systems is different with each location and also changes are seem to come with the bi-annual changes of prison chiefs.

I suggest you show up on the visiting day and find a person that looks like he speaks your language and ask the local questions.

I have been visiting a couple of prisoners here in Thailand for about nine years and the prison systems is different with each location and also changes are seem to come with the bi-annual changes of prison chiefs.

I suggest you show up on the visiting day and find a person that looks like he speaks your language and ask the local questions.

I visited the cousin of my brother's girlfriend (at the time) in Bang Kwang (Bangkok). This was some years ago but I simply went there, said whom I wanted to see. I waited in the gatehouse while the guards checked the food I had brought - including opening the tins of condensed milk and sticking a knife in to make sure nothing was concealed in the liquid. He was brought out and we were allowed to talk and me to give him the food. The other prison visitors were less lucky. They had to talk to the prisoners across 2-3 yards of no-man's land along an avenue from the gate house to the main prison separated by two sets of fencing. He explained that his father sent him money which allowed him to pay a girl to buy and cook food for him and bring to to the prison every day. So he was better off than most of the others.

Have been on numerous occasions to Klong Prem to visit a guy who had been in there over 20 years...what you do need to know is to take your passport with you and be there a good hour before official visiting time begins.Also now security is not as relaxed as in the past and all possessions on you have to be left in a locker before you can proceed into the visiting area so my advice is to bring a good lock with you to secure your gear!Money can be deposited into the inmates food account or you can buy toiletries/food over the counter there and inmates can then access it later on their tab.Visiting time is typically 30 minutes where you the visitor is in an open area talking to the inmate through a glass segregated screened area...a much improved scenario compared to the barred windows and all having to shout at the top of ones voices to be heard.To get there grab the BTS to Mo Chit then go to the taxi stand and no more than 80 baht!