Had enough of Swadee khrap/Kha.

Costas2008

On a slow day in Home Pro when walking in, it is like facing a defence force. No matter which way you move someone will block you, come at you from the next aisle. sometimes one comes from each end. If it's the sort of thing that bothers people then I understand how it can be very uncomfortable. Personally, it doesn't bother me one iota and I find it quite amusing. My first sawsdee krap is also the last until I actually need help, I can just switch them off which a lot of people can't. Thai's don't mind it they love to be paid so much attention over a light switch and as you know they will converse about other things during the light switch transaction, so it passes the time too.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sawadee krap/kha merely denotes to me their friendliness or the interest of someone who may want to sell me something. Now, if anyone here has been involved in sales you know your job is to sell something, so, why not be friendly as a first step. Administrators may not recognise that! Thus it is same same (for sales) in Thailand and many other countries around the world.

Recently I went into Big C in Bangkok wanting to purchase a plug for my sink/handbasin. Many quizzical looks and blank stares, no help, no find, so I went home empty handed. After talking to my Thai companion about this she said "plug is what you put in wall for electricity - STOPPER is what you should have asked for". Duh, dumb farang (message to myself)! Sometimes we do not communicate too well with the "other side".

Nevertheless, I do also recognise there are some dumb sales people NOT ONLY in Thailand but in other parts of the world as well.

Conclusion: Try a little harder to make yourself understood, also try some patience, tolerance and also realise this is not a perfect world of company staff because this can happen anywhere, not only in Thailand whistling.gif

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by lvr181

Conclusion: Try a little harder to make yourself understood, also try some patience, tolerance and also realise this is not a perfect world of company staff because this can happen anywhere, not only in Thailand whistling.gif

I've simplified it for them. I take a photo of the item or put one from the Internet on my phone and show it to them.

I have found just simply ignoring them works a treat thumbsup.gif

No stress, just walk in, get what I need and go pay for it.

Ignoring them is the easiest, does not stop them though.

I am tempted to print out a card to hand them which would state that when I decide I need staff to help me with something

I will let them know untill then Please leave me to browse. Where I come from the only people that get that much attention are suspected of shoplifting

I enjoy this no more than you do likely less.

This is for costas

I also have equal feelings about every folung that I have never met before expecting me to greet him as if we were members of a secret society.

"Oh look its a folung hello fellow folung I am a folung too will you be my friend"... ... ... Sshhheeeet. Get a life.

I am less interested in greeting you than you are of greetingt every employee at home pro. No Obvious common interest, dont bug me.

I am not anti-social I am selectively social.

I didn't read anything about how "rude" the Thai sales staff was toward you. I understand perfectly, how you feel about being followed around. Than's just the way they do things, in Asian cultures. Sales associates in Thailand are doing exactly what they are instructed to do, by the people who sign their pay-checks. They are instructed to make themselves readily available to give you service. That's all, sir! Lighten-up a bit. They mean you no offense, or insult. Besides, its better than Walmart or Best Buy, etc, (in the US), where you actually need to go "hunting" for a sales associate, whenever you need help, or information. You're not in Kansas, anymorecoffee1.gif

I am tempted to print out a card to hand them which would state that when I decide I need staff to help me with something

I will let them know untill then Please leave me to browse. Where I come from the only people that get that much attention are suspected of shoplifting

This is for costas

I also have equal feelings about every folung that I have never met before expecting me to greet him as if we were members of a secret society.

"Oh look its a folung hello fellow folung I am a folung too will you be my friend"... ... ... Sshhheeeet. Get a life.

I am less interested in greeting you than you are of greetingt every employee at home pro. No Obvious common interest, dont bug me.

When you're far from home, it doesn't cost you "anything" to return a smile to another foreigner, who was considerate enough to give you some recognition. Regardless of what you choose to believe, about your (ahem) life, you are now, and forever will be a "foreigner" in LOS. No matter how much the Thai people smile to your face (family included), they will quickly remind you, that you are still a farang. The minute, just one of them gets pissed-off with you, you'll get a very rude awakening.

Besides, if you had so many great friends back home, then you would definitely not be living in Thailand whistling.gif . So, grow-up, and get off your pretentious high-horsecoffee1.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

Besides, if you had so many great friends back home, then you would definitely not be living in Thailand whistling.gif .

Why not? You think only no-mates losers move here?

He is making a blanket insult and trying to be funny. I assume that he is what he is talking about.

I moved away from my adopted home city in Canada (large city moved to after graduation) originally 15 years ago and then returned several years later. All my closest friends had also moved away from Toronto, so I was returning to a city where I had more acquaintances than friends. I generally keep most people at a distance so I just never really replaced them with others in the same manner. Funny thing is that I moved out here and my closest friends live in Singapore and HK, and I have 2 of my sisters living a very short hop from here (in the region). Now my younger sister is trying to convince my parents they should move over to this side of the world.... so yah, I don't have "great friends" back home.... making me a match to the original. I would not consider myself a loser though, I just don't like people in general (although I make a lot of exceptions). I am very wary about farang living here in Thailand though.....

This is for costas

When you're far from home, it doesn't cost you "anything" to return a smile to another foreigner, who was considerate enough to give you some recognition. Regardless of what you choose to believe, about your (ahem) life, you are now, and forever will be a "foreigner" in LOS. No matter how much the Thai people smile to your face (family included), they will quickly remind you, that you are still a farang. The minute, just one of them gets pissed-off with you, you'll get a very rude awakening.

Besides, if you had so many great friends back home, then you would definitely not be living in Thailand whistling.gif . So, grow-up, and get off your pretentious high-horsecoffee1.gif

doesnt sound like you got a very good family

If you think it's bad in Thailand, try india. If the thai gormless zombies working in department stores are from 'day of the dead', then the Indians could be compared to 'Day Z'.. crazy, rabid undead. They do not give up!

Although fair play they sometimes know something about the product; unlike 3rd world south east asia (Thailand, Indonesia, etc) where you will be LUCKY if 1 in 100 knows their arse from their elbow.

South east asia, online shopping is a godsend.