Taking a Thai GF to America- your suggestions please!

I have been with my Thai GF for 2 years and would love to take her for a tour of America in a motor home next year. She is 45 years, has a job as an accountant, money in the bank, has a 19 year old daughter in college. She has not traveled with the exception of a short visit to Cambodia.

I am a 67 year old man living in Thailand for 2 1/2 years on a retirement visa. I own a condo in Thailand, have money in the bank and substantial assets in the USA.

My questions are: what is the best approach to secure a travel visa for her? Do we do it on our own or go through a visa service? Are there any recommended Visa companies? What are the chances of her getting a travel visa? What is the estimated time required to go through the process? How long would she be able to stay in the USA? Are there any "do's or don'ts" that might facilitate the visa.

Thank you for any assistance.

Good luck since it is not easy but can be done so long as she does everything and can show that she has a good reason to return to Thailand, which is the prime requirement for a tourist visa to the US.

Your role should be minor in the process and could be a detriment if the approving officer even suspects that you are trying to short cut the "fiancee" visa process by obtaining a tourist visa

Once issued it is usually good for 10 years and allows multiple visits but someone else will have to post how long those visits can be

• Like 2

I've done it, but my circumstances are much different. I am working here. My fiancé was working at the time as well. She had a letter from her employer. She had a letter from my family. However, the most important documents they wanted to see we're my letter, my passport, and my work permit.in our situation, it was imparitive that I demonstrate my ties to Thailand as well as hers.

Post 9/11, the first visa issued is usually a single entry which allows for up to a 6 month stay. Her visa was annotated with a not stating she would be accompanied by me.

After at, we applied again after my son was born. She had to gather all of the documents and paperwork again. The second time, she had no job, as she looks after our son at home. Again, the scrutinized every page of my passport and work permit. Then, she was granted a 10 year, multiple entry visa.

Best of luck. I'm not sure how you will demonstrate your ties to Thailand, but the burden is going to fall upon both of you.

• Like 1

Um for A Thai to visit the U.S.,is maybe own land,maybe own A business.As far as A boyfriends passport.When my fiancé went to the U.S.they never mentioned my passport.The U.S. Wants to make sure she won't try to stay in the U.S.

• Like 2

Um for A Thai to visit the U.S.,is maybe own land,maybe own A business.As far as A boyfriends passport.When my fiancé went to the U.S.they never mentioned my passport.The U.S. Wants to make sure she won't try to stay in the U.S.

I have learned from Thais in the US that for almost one year now the standard practice is for them to be issued a 10-year visa. For the previous decade, it had been 1-year or less.

• Like 1

What I've seen over past six mths re US visas...probably not applicable to your case.

Newly minted PhD engineer was denied 5mth visa to work for top large tech outfit at Silicon Valley, but got OK second time after professors interceded...irony is he left after two mths as he felt he could better use the time, though made many valuable prof. contacts during time there.

A USA young woman's husband (astrophysics degree) was denied greencard, but they could both get UK residency so moved there. Maybe, due to her not being able to support him, which doesn't apply in yr case.

NZ partner of US academic waited nearly a year to be approved for 10-year greencard; maybe due to only 2 yrs marriage though together for eight yrs.

As an aside, NZer of English descent woman waited a year for her NZ hubby's approval to reside in UK so guess it's pretty much the same in very sought-after developed countries.

• Like 1

Buck

There's other threads on this forum about tourist visas for girl friends to the U.S., most of them successful. The ones that are successful show that it seems to depend a lot on the status of the boy friend here in Thailand and what ties he has to Thailand. Your ownership of a condo is a big plus. You mention that you've been together for 2.5 years, fine, but have you been on the Retirement extension for longer than that? If longer, even better. Got wheels? Mail coming here from the U.S., such as Social Security notices, magazines, etc?

When she goes for the interview she should have your passport right upfront with your Retirement extensions flagged. Also your condo ownership paperwork handy, and anything else that shows your ties to Thailand.

All this would indicated to the interviewing ConOff that it's more than likely that you'll be returning to Thailand, and the presumption then is that the GF will be returning with you.

I think she's got a good shot at it.

Mac

• Like 1

Hi Buck.

I think she has a very good chance of getting a B2 Tourist Visa.

Don’t bother with a visa agent, they can’t guarantee anything, and the on-line application is pretty straight forward.

Her having your passport with your visa and extensions flagged will be a giant plus.

I hope you have a great trip.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Shot

• Like 1

I am a UK citizen living and working in Thailand for past 5 years, with same girlfriend. We have house, car and she has 2 children. We want to go on USA holiday next year. How and which Visa should we apply for anyone. Cheers

• Like 1

WG

For your GF, she should start here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas.html

You'll be going on the Visa Waiver Program, I expect, info here:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

Plus an additional step: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

As far as the GF's visa is concerned, I reckon it'll be fine since you are well established in Thailand. Same points as mentioned for Buck apply re your documentation.

Have fun!

Mac

• Like 1

It will mostly depend on your ties to Thailand. When I first moved to Thailand but was still working for a US company I tired to get my then girlfriend a visa for the US to trip home during the holidays. She owned her own beauty shop, a condo, a car, land and a house up north but they didn't care about that. They were all about me and since I was still working for a US company and my only address was her condo it was refused. I would work on showing that you live in Thailand full time.

• Like 1

I have a good friend here in Thailand - he is American, his Thai girlfriend recently got a 10 year U.S. visa ... she is a supervisor in the Thai Government school system., owns property in Thailand. Has family and a grown son in Thailand... He is a long term resident.

My friend reported to be recently that a Thai female friend of he and his Thai wife applied for a visa to go to the U.S. to make her PhD Dissertation and was denied...

But the U.S. can let people with Ebola in - no problem.

Edited by JDGRUEN

I commented on this in the past stating, simply, don't take her to the US due to the " I want, I want " syndrome they contract upon arrival at the first Mall but, your GF seems to be head and shoulders above every other Thai GF I've ever met or even heard about so I say :

DO NOT EVER TAKE HER TO THE U.S. ! !

• Like 1

If you know her for the past 2 years then keep all the pictures you taken together, email, family gatherings picture etc to show to your Embassy if asked. They want to make sure if you just met the girl or been together for sometimes. That is what UK Embassy require at least.

Getting the visa is all about your government policy with Thailand. If they have good relation there should be no problem and you will be getting the visa on your own only. Remember the Visa agencies make money on the people who do not know the law and are scare of doing things on their own, or for some other reason....

In your case just contact your Embassy and ask them what documents are required to get the visa and do it on your own.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good luck since it is not easy but can be done so long as she does everything and can show that she has a good reason to return to Thailand, which is the prime requirement for a tourist visa to the US.

Your role should be minor in the process and could be a detriment if the approving officer even suspects that you are trying to short cut the "fiancee" visa process by obtaining a tourist visa

Once issued it is usually good for 10 years and allows multiple visits but someone else will have to post how long those visits can be

"Your role should be minor in the process and could be a detriment..."

I've done it, but my circumstances are much different. I am working here. My fiancé was working at the time as well. She had a letter from her employer. She had a letter from my family. However, the most important documents they wanted to see we're my letter, my passport, and my work permit.in our situation, it was imparitive that I demonstrate my ties to Thailand as well as hers.

Post 9/11, the first visa issued is usually a single entry which allows for up to a 6 month stay. Her visa was annotated with a not stating she would be accompanied by me.

After at, we applied again after my son was born. She had to gather all of the documents and paperwork again. The second time, she had no job, as she looks after our son at home. Again, the scrutinized every page of my passport and work permit. Then, she was granted a 10 year, multiple entry visa.

Best of luck. I'm not sure how you will demonstrate your ties to Thailand, but the burden is going to fall upon both of you.

"... they wanted to see my letter, my passport, and my work permit..."
"... the burden is going to fall upon both of you. "
So either the O/P's role is going to be minor and possibly detrimental or it's going to be crucial and the determining factor.

So generally speaking it is difficult for Thais to get a tourist visa and visit the US? I would have thought it wouldn't be a big bother especially if they have someone in the US that they are visiting.

Or is that the case where it's 50-50 depending on the mood do the state dept. official?

I took my girlfriend of 6 years to the states last year, we had a great time. She loved it, and it opened her mind to life outside of Thailand. All and all, I think it was a great experience for her and helped her to grow as traveling does. I bought her the ticket, she applied at the US Embassy and she was approved for a 10 year visa. Nothing special about it. The staff at the embassy have a good eye for the right and wrong kinds of applicants. If you guys have a genuine agenda, hotels booked, etc... it shouldn't be an issue. My girl does not own property, owns a car, has very little in her bank account, and has an office job as a sales manager. She's fluent in English, and and is really lovely. With all that said, I don't know you or your girl and I guess you are going to see very soon what kind of taste you have.

She is old enuf, employed enuf, has ties to Thailand to return to, and has you as a guide.

BUT, you two are not married so she can still appear to USA Visa dept as going with you just to get inside USA and then disappear. You have no legal relationship with her, yes???

Your absolute best bet is to take your papers and her to USA Embassy, on appointment as now needed, and try to talk a nice AMERICAN employee to look at your papers before applying formally. The Thai nationals employed there will not help you in this regard.

Long ago a very nice American woman did that for me and my girl prior to her becoming my FINANCEE fiancee at that time. I told the kind employee lady I did not know her and would swear to never having seen her before, as a joke, but meant it.

I got a preview that had no binding strength but reassured me I was on the right track and had right papers.

You DEFINITELY do not want a visa REFUSAL stamp in her passport.... that is the end of that because no one wants to countermand a previous decision. Do anything to keep that stamp out.

Be super humble and polite, beg, grovel, and dress nice too.wai.gif

sletraveler, no, it doesn't so much depend on the attitude of the interviewing officer as it does on the apparent "facts" of the case and the possible outcome if a visa is granted.

One problem with having the boyfriend in the U.S. is that there's a real possibility that they'll just get married while she's there and she'll not return. There's complications with doing this but it has occurred often enough in the past that the interview officer will be wary of it.

Mac

I guess I was lucky. My G/F went to a small agency and did it all by herself without any links to me. I had written up a two page letter stating I would support her and why she was going etc. All she needed was to show 6 months income in the bank, last 6 months and the fact she had a job in Thailand. The agency did all the paperwork including setting up her interview at the embassy. She passed no problem and I guess it depends on who interviews her and her age. She was 43 then. She now has a 10 year B2 visa good for 6 months at a time. Sometimes you get lucky, but the agency did give her an interview similar as what she will get in the embassy. This was 3 years ago.

• Like 1

I just returned from a well known Visa service here in Pattaya run by Brit. His reply was unless she owns land in Thailand and works for a well known company the chances of her obtaining a travel visa are zero. However, I have found that experts are often wrong and it sounds like getting a travel visa is a bit of a crap shoot. I will proceed with this quest and keep you informed. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. It's been a great help.