Bribing Thai traffic cops can get you in trouble

webfact

agree with you.

Here is my opinion...

MAKE PAYING THE FINE EASIER!

I drive a lot. and I am busy. If I get pulled over in Chantaburi the only way to pay that fine is to go to Chantaburi police station.

Waste of my time.

So bribing is just a lot easier.

This is so backward.

It's like f$cking for virginity.

So we don't have a problem with bribes but if you don't accept one then we will give you 10,000b. In other words the new min bribe amount is 10,001b.

The one on the right looks to be struggling not to laugh out loud.

I know the one on the left .. seen him loads of times .....

One way to stop entrapment .. STOP DRIVING !!!

Edited by ScotBkk

When they announced the B10,000 reward to cops who refuse bribes, I immediately though it part of a staged publcity stunt. The subsequent reward ceremony with the hand over of B10,000 to a cop who refused the paltry sum of B100 from a motorcyclist, only confirms it. So if a motorist only bribes a cop with B100, the cop can claim a B10,000 reward as compensation. I have visions of cops on B1,000,000/week by refusing their normal bribes and claiming compensation.

• Like 2

What if they are the ones taking your money for no good reason? Do we get 10,000 Baht for catching them?

This place is more crazy than CUCKOOS NEST.

Yeah I used to drive Pattaya-Koh Chang a lot. Got pulled over at least once per trip, for driving in the wrong lane.....Shit happened in the middle of Rayong once! That was like getting pulled over on Pattaya Klang for not passing someone in the fast lane!

There's a piss-willy, over loaded truck/lorrie, or a motorbike with sausages hanging off it, or a baht bus, or a regular bus or 400 little shops set up 6 inches off the edge of the road, usually with a car stopped in front of them, pretty much EVERYWHERE you go in Thailand.

What flippin' lane do they EXPECT me to drive in if I want to do the speed limit?

I was once driving to Hua Hin & there was a particularly horrible stretch of pavement in the left lane, while the inside lane was smooth......There were cops waiting right at the end of the bad pavement section, pulling folks over left & right, grabbing 200 baht a whack (at least that's what they got from me).

• Like 1

a) 'Not' bribing traffic cops can get you in trouble, for 20 years

then suddenly it's...

b ) Bribing traffic cops can get you in trouble.

...and it's all your fault, in either case. They will never deal with corruption effectively, as long as it's buried under excuses this way.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

Agree with others. I'm impressed that they are using their initiative to legalize bribes and get a 4900 baht pay increase.. "You try to get 100 baht, then we go har sip / har sip on the 10,000 ok mai?" Says Police Chief

So funny. This means they will push you to try bribe then, after that they will catch you about bribing, and want to pick up

10 000 B. They will earn probably 500 000 B / month at begin.

No-one is thinking in this country.

Here is my opinion...

MAKE PAYING THE FINE EASIER!

I drive a lot. and I am busy. If I get pulled over in Chantaburi the only way to pay that fine is to go to Chantaburi police station.

Waste of my time.

So bribing is just a lot easier.

This makes sense, and the money for the fine should not be collected by the police department.

When they announced the B10,000 reward to cops who refuse bribes, I immediately though it part of a staged publcity stunt. The subsequent reward ceremony with the hand over of B10,000 to a cop who refused the paltry sum of B100 from a motorcyclist, only confirms it. So if a motorist only bribes a cop with B100, the cop can claim a B10,000 reward as compensation. I have visions of cops on B1,000,000/week by refusing their normal bribes and claiming compensation.

Ha! Yeah! = This will last all of about 4-5 days. Idiots.

So funny. This means they will push you to try bribe then, after that they will catch you about bribing, and want to pick up

10 000 B. They will earn probably 500 000 B / month at begin.

No-one is thinking in this country.

They really are NOT thinking, it's true; and not just this, nothing they are doing post-coup is making any sense whatsoever.

First it's Russians who are suppoedly causing all the problems; so, the answer is to criminalize all tourists, from all countries for months and months.

Then suddenly, it's unlimited visas for Russians! :D Seriously, they are beyond nonsensical.

• Like 1

My experience, Bht 10,000 is about what they make in 30 minutes at some of the check points or traps or whatever they call them. And they do not give me an option of issuing a ticket for whatever reason they stop me. One stopped within the toll gate at Bangna heading toward Chonburi and asked me to move ahead about 5 meters, then pointed to my number plate that he wrote down as I was paying the toll, then he wrote down a number while I was watching him and pointed to his radio saying the speed camera said I was speeding. Well that must have been more than 10km before the toll booth if at all. The traffic leading up to the toll both was not moving faster than 60kmh for at least 10k.

That cop and 4 others were doing the same thing in the other lanes, took about 2 minutes to sort my payment out and he asked for bht 1,000, bht 500 was not enough when I offered that. I said, give me a ticket, I will get my office to sort it out and retrieve my license if need be. No, he wanted the bht 1,000 then and there.

Wow, JM! I hear ya loud & clear. The vultures 'police' got me about 3 years ago at the same spot and under the same scam circumstances.

My job requires me driving from Trat to Laem Chabang several times each month and after being stopped a few times I started stashing most of my $$$ in my sock, leaving ~100 baht in my wallet. When I was stopped I showed the extortionists officers how broke I was and (most times) they laughed and told me to <deleted> off. Sometimes they took the 100 baht and weren't very happy about it tongue.png

But I've made a dozen or so trips in the past three months and haven't seen even ONE bandito stop checkpoint on the whole (450 k return) way. Maybe this is due to the General telling the crooks cops to cool it. I don't know w00t.gif

Wow, JM! I hear ya loud & clear. The vultures 'police' got me about 3 years ago at the same spot and under the same scam circumstances.

My job requires me driving from Trat to Laem Chabang several times each month and after being stopped a few times I started stashing most of my $$$ in my sock, leaving ~100 baht in my wallet. When I was stopped I showed the extortionists officers how broke I was and (most times) they laughed and told me to <deleted> off. Sometimes they took the 100 baht and weren't very happy about it tongue.png

But I've made a dozen or so trips in the past three months and haven't seen even ONE bandito stop checkpoint on the whole (450 k return) way. Maybe this is due to the General telling the crooks cops to cool it. I don't know w00t.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"The campaign, which started on Monday, aims to promote and encourage honesty and dignity among traffic officers, who have earned a bad reputation for accepting bribes."

I thought the reputation was for demanding, rather than accepting.

Still if a demand is pocketed I guess that does, on some levels, count as accepting.

I've bribed countless times and they have NEVER demanded. You can play by the rules and they'll write you a ticket and take your license. You then have to go to the station in a week and pick it up and pay the fine. I've done it both ways.

i have been stopped 10 times , always walked to payment station, paid fine and received a receipt, no complaints, just got on with my wonderfully cheap life here in thailand, i must live in a different part of thailand or not a bloody whinging pom

I got stopped for no seat belt in Pathum Thani once & they sent me straight over to a very professional officer, with a desk & a receipt book set up on the sidewalk.

That, my friend is RARE. Mostly it's "No ploblem, I take care for you song roy baht".

I was pulled over for speeding, i wasn't speeding, the cop wanted 200 Baht, i told him i had no money and he had no proof, write me out a ticket and i will fight it in court,it's a matter of principal i don't care what the lawyer costs ( i speak Thai ) he stood open mouthed for a few seconds then waved me on.

Edited by soalbundy
  • Like 1

What a load of Bulls Wool been stopped twice this week and have been told pay me 500 baht or else for no reason as I was all in order can can you offer Bride when they Demand one straight away how much reward to i get for getting photo and evidence of them