Bribing Thai traffic cops can get you in trouble

webfact

It is NOT just the traffic cops who take the bribes but the one's at the police station as well. I was told I needed to pay an officer 10,000B for him to do anything about an assault case and having given my statement he did NOTHING. Promised arrest of the person who assault me and after 3 months of chasing this officer up he still did nothing. Well done Nongprue police

Wish they would offer the same reward to citizens who report officers extorting bribes. Definitely could improve the median household income level in Thailand.

The one arrested was silly, everyone knows that the standard fine (tea money) in Bangkok is 400 baht, what was he thinking only giving 100

Now when I get stopped for speeding what do I do. If police ask for 200 baht (outside Bangkok and Pattaya) do I give money and risk being arrested

or ?????.

These people who make laws do not understand the real world. The next thing they will be checking tyres to make sure the cords are not showing too much.

Wish they would offer the same reward to citizens who report officers extorting bribes. Definitely could improve the median household income level in Thailand.

The one arrested was silly, everyone knows that the standard fine (tea money) in Bangkok is 400 baht, what was he thinking only giving 100

Now when I get stopped for speeding what do I do. If police ask for 200 baht (outside Bangkok and Pattaya) do I give money and risk being arrested

or ?????.

These people who make laws do not understand the real world. The next thing they will be checking tyres to make sure the cords are not showing too much.

That's it isn't it? The guy offered a 100 baht bribe and the policeman decided to make an example of him. Anything under 200 is an insult.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 2

or ?????.

That's it isn't it? The guy offered a 100 baht bribe and the policeman decided to make an example of him. Anything under 200 is an insult.

clap2.gif

Highway Robbery: I never make eye contact when crooked Thai cops set up a checkpoint. Just drive straight past without acknowledging their gestures and signals. Play the fool. They don't waste their time to pursue you on their motorbikes, as it means abandoning their lucrative hold-up.

• Like 2

Is it just me or didn't they already say they were using hidden cameras in the uniforms to capture evidence of bribes being offered? I doubt they're going to be able to just fine people 10,000 Baht at will without a public uprising.

As for people saying "it's their job", keep in mind incentivizing work with monetary reward is a practice used everywhere, but it's normally called "commission". Ask yourself what you'd rather live with, cops on commission (Thailand) or cops on power trips (Canada, USA, etc.)?

It's easy to make jokes about the Thai police, and it's easy to make fun of how to stop the corruption. The bottom line is though that if the "established" procedure of bribing the police is reduced/eliminated, the traffic situation would improve. Let's see how this works and stop complaining about every attempt to sort out the present "mess".

Unfortunately, I can only see this as possibly being used to obtain larger bribes. ohmy.png

or if stopped the one cop will say, ok pay that officer over there, when you go to give the other officer the money, hey presto the other cop takes a photo of you, you are arrested they get 10,000 baht, what a shit system, are they thinking of ways to let the BIB earn more money?

• Like 1

It's easy to make jokes about the Thai police, and it's easy to make fun of how to stop the corruption. The bottom line is though that if the "established" procedure of bribing the police is reduced/eliminated, the traffic situation would improve. Let's see how this works and stop complaining about every attempt to sort out the present "mess".

Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that this plan can't work as you are asking the perpetrators to grass up the victims - it's an enormous joke!

• Like 1

when i first came to live here over 30 years ago it was all so simple if you got caught with a minor traffic offence since police pay was so bad i never indeed giving odd 100 baht (then 20 baht) to save hazzle of gong to police station paying fine and rest and it was all good natured. Tea money was standard in Asia and their were very few if any scams. Then IMO it all started going badly wrong when Taksin started and he and his merry men got stupidly greedy. Corruption was really more of a tip and you did not need to pay it. Their was no cohesion no aggression no problem. It was totally accepted forang had moremoney so paid a bit more.

I never thought of it as corrupt and when dealing with government officials (also very lowly paid) i always considered it a fee for express service. It was very refreshing having come from London and New York where real corruption was and still is much worse or was much worse but very under the table. Here it was put in open.

Police corruption in London in 1950's was terrible and only cured by massive pay rises.

The old ways are sometimes best.

I guess this silly idea goes directly into the TOP 3... Just below giving tourist wristbands and "buddies".

Keep them coming. Always a great laugh!

I can't even guess the next silly idea (I simply do not have the imagination) and thats whats so great about it.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, I can only see this as possibly being used to obtain larger bribes. ohmy.png

10,000 baht a bribe? ten bribes and the cop would be very happy! I will be afraid to reach for my wallet from now on! will carry my drivers license in my shoirt pocket.

Now that last sentence is comedy gold!

we/I are not complaining about the present mess, we are discussing the new 10.000 thb bribe reward. I have no complaints about the way things were, in my opinion plain and simple. Police were always friendly to me and I always paid the 100/200thb without problem. I consider this "tea money" to boost their salary. Hell, I pay at least this as a tip in any restaurant!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand