Personal Allowance 10,000 baht update.

Hi there.

I am wondering if anyone who has arrived at BKK airport within the past week can update what is happening with the personal allowance of 10,000 Baht?

Are all passengers bags scanned or is it random. I am bringing 2 iPhones and a bag for my friends. Will this cause any problem. Have a lot of conflicting reports so asking what the new procedure is right now. I am Thai and live in Bangkok.

Why do members here keep talking about customs checks, especially bag "scans" at the airport upon arrival. Bags are scanned upon departure for explosives and maybe drugs. They get the luggage out of the containers and up to the arrival carousels to make room for more incoming flights so there is no time to scan any incoming bags

And no one has ever reported a line of passengers waiting to go through the "red" channel because of these supposed "random" incoming customs checks. Maybe someone gets checked occasionally but I have never seen it happen

And two iPhones certainly doesn't rise to the level of trafficking anyway

• Like 1

Dear Languan man,

The reason I asked is that I was told by 2 fellow Thai that as soon as you pick up your luggage and go towards the green channel they will now x Ray all the bags. This is what I am trying to find out if this is true.

I have been through green channel many times and yes sometimes I get stopped and I xray my luggage. Now I am wondering If they set up new area and all bags are now scanned. Is this true.

Why do members here keep talking about customs checks, especially bag "scans" at the airport upon arrival. Bags are scanned upon departure for explosives and maybe drugs. They get the luggage out of the containers and up to the arrival carousels to make room for more incoming flights so there is no time to scan any incoming bags

And no one has ever reported a line of passengers waiting to go through the "red" channel because of these supposed "random" incoming customs checks. Maybe someone gets checked occasionally but I have never seen it happen

The reason I asked is that I was told by 2 fellow Thai that as soon as you pick up your luggage and go towards the green channel they will now x Ray all the bags. This is what I am trying to find out if this is true.

I have been through green channel many times and yes sometimes I get stopped and I xray my luggage. Now I am wondering If they set up new area and all bags are now scanned. Is this true.

I passed thru Suvarnabhumi arrivals mid-Tuesday morning last week. No customs checks whatsoever but who knows, they may well have been scanning every bag an hour before or an hour after I was there.

I arrived SBIA/BKK last Thursday, ~ 6:15 AM from FRA on TG 921 (and LH from U.S. to FRA). I went through the green channel on the far left (C, opposite carousel ~ 20), Customs staff requested that I put both my bags, but not my carry-on bag, onto the X-ray machine. But that was it, no subsequent search. I did have quite a bit of stuff - new (not limited to my existing phones, notebook PC, tablet) ladies handbags, cosmetics, perfume, networking kit, new iPhone 6 (all from the U.S.) - well over the 10,000 baht limit (although I think you can also grab up to another 20,000 baht at duty-free on arrival, for a total of 30,000 baht (?), so was pleased they didn't look in my bags. About half the pax. arriving were asked to put some/all bags onto the X-ray machine.

Note that there are Excise Dept. officials roaming the Arrivals area - they are looking for those exceeding duty free allowances. among other things, and they also can perform spot checks.

Based on comments on Thai social forums, it seems like they are specifically targeting the higher-volume importers - pre-ordering of hand-bags, for example, there are many web-sites offering this service - but air-crew who specialize in this activity are still exempted.

Maybe because Customs DO perform random x-ray checks at arrivals, and who knows what they do behind the scenes for incoming luggage. Do you? I have been checked twice myself - white guy, dressed for a business trip and nothing looking out of the ordinary. That's maybe a two percent random check rate for my entries, but it happened. That's not often, but if you are planning to bring in something you shouldn't, do you really want to spin the wheel and take a chance? I can think of better low-risk investments than attempting to smuggle a bunch of iPhones through Thai Customs.

Maybe because Customs DO perform random x-ray checks at arrivals, and who knows what they do behind the scenes for incoming luggage. Do you? I have been checked twice myself - white guy, dressed for a business trip and nothing looking out of the ordinary. That's maybe a two percent random check rate for my entries, but it happened. That's not often, but if you are planning to bring in something you shouldn't, do you really want to spin the wheel and take a chance? I can think of better low-risk investments than attempting to smuggle a bunch of iPhones through Thai Customs.

Actually, I do know what goes on down in the baggage area since I used to go there to watch certain shipments arrive, and there are no X'ray machines in the incoming baggage sorting area. The containers or carts pulled by the TUG's are opened and the luggage is manually placed on the designated belts and is transported up to the baggage claim area. And as I stated earlier there is no time to X'ray anything since there is not enough space to hold anything so it all has to go up at the utmost speed otherwise the baggage trains would back up and block the tarmac

UPDATE: Came through the "Green Channel" yesterday at 11:45 A.M. with one very large cloth suitcase, one medium hard side suitcase, and a 50 inch long, by 5 inch wide cardboard box. There was a rope preventing anyone from using the "Red Channel" lane

As I went through a white uniformed Customs agent asked me to move over to the "Red Channel" X'ray machine where they placed the long box on the belt. They asked what it was and I told them a "hammock" and they said " Thank you" and I proceeded out. They did not check or even ask what was in the other two suitcases or my hand carry

I wasn't all that surprised that they wanted to check the box, since it could have been either a bazooka or rifle. They certainly were not checking any of the Thais that were on my flight for their "10,000 THB allowance"

Isn't this "10,000" figure already out of date?

From the TAT website http://www.tourismthailand.org/Travel-and-Transport/Travelers-Essentials/Customs-and-Immigration

Thailand customs allows visitors to enter Thailand with personal effects, the value of which does not exceed 80,000 Baht, without paying import fees as long as:

1) the items are specifically for personal or professional use;

2) the amount of goods are reasonable; and

3) the items are not subject to restriction or prohibition.

Restrictions:

* 250 grams of cigars or smoking tobacco, or 200 cigarettes
* 1 liter of wine or liquor. (i.e. you can't come with 80 bottles of wine at 1,000 Baht each)

I had some relatives come over from the US recently. Before leaving, they fretted about the 10,000 allowance, but did some research and found the above info, and came to Thailand with well over 50,000 each (including many gifts) - and were not searched.

"Isn't this "10,000" figure already out of date?"

There was some talk recently about raising this figure, as it seems hopelessly out of date. But as per usual for Thailand, all talk and no action, so assume that it remains 10,000 baht?

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/arriving+in+thailand/arrivinginthailand

There were threads/articles on this aspect here and elsewhere, ~ 4 July.

There also was a "clampdown" on enforcement, on or about 1 July - I arrived 1 July and noticed quite a but of new signage and activity, but again, This is Thailand, so this clampdown lasted a day or two.

There were threads and/or articles on this, ~ 2 July.

Quote from an article:

The proposed new limit is in the range of 80,000 to 100,000 baht, the source said, adding that the current duty-free limit is too low and not in line with economic circumstances.
The trip to the Customs line may be a little less stressful soon, if the Customs Department amendments pass. The 10,000-baht import duty-free restriction has been in place for several decades and is not in accordance with the increased income of Thais and foreigners.
The Customs Department recently raised the limit on the amount of money each traveller can take out of the country to 500,000 baht from 50,000 baht previously to comply with the growing value of cross-border trade.
The Customs Department this week caused panic among both passengers and airline crews by posting signs announcing the enforcement of the limit at Suvarnabhumi airport, saying if personal goods including new clothes, shoes and bags in non-commercial form exceeding the 10,000-baht limit are brought into Thailand, they must be declared to customs officials and the duty paid before their baggage goes through the X-ray machine.

FWIW, arriving on TG they do play a video outlining Thai Customs regulations, and it seemed like you could get a 10,000 baht exemption for goods purchased overseas, and an additional 20,000 baht for goods purchased in-flight or upon arrival, but I'll admit to perhaps not exactly understanding the wording of this video.

For me, over ~ 20 years (or about 150 arrivals) Customs officials ask that I put one or more of my checked bags through the X-Ray machine. Maybe three times they ask what is in my bags, they have never conducted a more thorough search (thank goodness). I can only assume that they have specific profiles, and/or tips, which might move them to conduct more thorough searches?

Edited by lomatopo

Just one single check in 153 arrivals. I was so taken aback when the Girl said put main bag through Xray I was gawping at her in surprise. Bag goes in and she starts yakking with Mate not even looking !!

Most peoples laptops alone are 300% of that 10,000 Baht Allowance ??

"Isn't this "10,000" figure already out of date?"

There was some talk recently about raising this figure, as it seems hopelessly out of date. But as per usual for Thailand, all talk and no action, so assume that it remains 10,000 baht?

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/arriving+in+thailand/arrivinginthailand

There were threads/articles on this aspect here and elsewhere, ~ 4 July.

There also was a "clampdown" on enforcement, on or about 1 July - I arrived 1 July and noticed quite a but of new signage and activity, but again, This is Thailand, so this clampdown lasted a day or two.

There were threads and/or articles on this, ~ 2 July.

Quote from an article:

The proposed new limit is in the range of 80,000 to 100,000 baht, the source said, adding that the current duty-free limit is too low and not in line with economic circumstances.
The trip to the Customs line may be a little less stressful soon, if the Customs Department amendments pass. The 10,000-baht import duty-free restriction has been in place for several decades and is not in accordance with the increased income of Thais and foreigners.
The Customs Department recently raised the limit on the amount of money each traveller can take out of the country to 500,000 baht from 50,000 baht previously to comply with the growing value of cross-border trade.
The Customs Department this week caused panic among both passengers and airline crews by posting signs announcing the enforcement of the limit at Suvarnabhumi airport, saying if personal goods including new clothes, shoes and bags in non-commercial form exceeding the 10,000-baht limit are brought into Thailand, they must be declared to customs officials and the duty paid before their baggage goes through the X-ray machine.

FWIW, arriving on TG they do play a video outlining Thai Customs regulations, and it seemed like you could get a 10,000 baht exemption for goods purchased overseas, and an additional 20,000 baht for goods purchased in-flight or upon arrival, but I'll admit to perhaps not exactly understanding the wording of this video.

For me, over ~ 20 years (or about 150 arrivals) Customs officials ask that I put one or more of my checked bags through the X-Ray machine. Maybe three times they ask what is in my bags, they have never conducted a more thorough search (thank goodness). I can only assume that they have specific profiles, and/or tips, which might move them to conduct more thorough searches?

Flew in from Shanghai tonight on TG. During descent they showed a video from the Thai Customs Department. It was awfully made and badly dubbed but there you go. They made a big point of the 10,000 baht thing and the penalties. I flew in on the same flight about three weeks ago and we weren't shown this video so it is a new thing. But walking out from baggage claim absolutely nobody was checked that I saw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I flew in from Singapore tonight 21-Dec-14 , and was one of many foreigners getting their bags xray. The customs were quoting THB 10,000 limit on new personal effects and I was made to pay duty of 12% on a watch for my wife. I respectfully asked them to clarify the regulation as I was under the impression that B80,000 was the limit. All I got was no, no you are wrong and have to pay. Of course they said their computer was not working and could not give me a receipt, but I insisted on this and they gave me a handwritten receipt which my wife says makes no sense at all. I have lived in Thailand for 15 years and traveled through the airport at least 6 times a year and this is the first time I have ever been stopped. Whilst standing there I saw a number of Thai's with Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc shopping bags walking straight through without getting stopped.

So be careful if you are travelling through the airport, with Xmas gifts.

• Like 1

I flew in from Singapore tonight 21-Dec-14 , and was one of many foreigners getting their bags xray. The customs were quoting THB 10,000 limit on new personal effects and I was made to pay duty of 12% on a watch for my wife. I respectfully asked them to clarify the regulation as I was under the impression that B80,000 was the limit. All I got was no, no you are wrong and have to pay. Of course they said their computer was not working and could not give me a receipt, but I insisted on this and they gave me a handwritten receipt which my wife says makes no sense at all. I have lived in Thailand for 15 years and traveled through the airport at least 6 times a year and this is the first time I have ever been stopped. Whilst standing there I saw a number of Thai's with Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc shopping bags walking straight through without getting stopped.

So be careful if you are travelling through the airport, with Xmas gifts.

. TIT, Tourism is Number 1, Not...