Bangkok traffic cop arrests motorist for 'bribe attempt'

webfact

I think the logic behind it is to get a message to drivers and scare them into not giving tea money even they are asked or you are likely to get arrested.

Only problem is there's too many for 10k that will say you tried to bribe them if you don't pay.

Best idea!! leave your car at home and take a taxi until it blows over

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for all the people here that think this is a good step:

Would you like losing a half day or a day just to pay a fine of 300 baht to pay at some far away police station to get your license back?

The insinuation there is that paying a bribe is a good thing to avoid that hassle. That's the kind of mentality that keeps bribes going. The system needs to be improved, for sure, but keeping a culture of bribes going isn't the answer.

I don't see your answer to my question:

Do you choose to loose a lot of time to pay a 300 baht fine iso paying the bribe suggested by the bib?

I did that a few times actually, but it's just a too big of a hassle. I would be happy to pay the actual fine if they make it easy to pay!

The problem would disappear when the tickets become payable by bank transfer or directly on the spot by credit or debit card. No cash on the spot. Problem solved but this country is not famous for a logical approach to any problem.

Bingo!

The queues at the police stations of motorists lined up to pay fines and reclaim their licences may force the introduction of an on -the-spot fine system. One that will leave the motorist with his/her licence and 28 days to pay, thus removing the need to pay a bribe which is usually a bribe of convenience anyway.

I've seen a lot of posts ridiculing this new scheme (an understandable reaction to anything related to the RTP, of course) but I actually think this could work. The simple fact is, no-one will offer a bribe of 10,000 THB for any motoring offence. And if there's a genuine fear of entrapment and arrest, no-one will accept a police officer's request of a bribe either. So with the reward set so high, they're effectively pricing bribes out of the market. So it's a win-win situation surely?

It could be, but the problem is that if it's successful, the bib will lose his daily extra money!

What will happen then? They will need their daily extra money back somehow I guess.

Would you like losing a half day or a day just to pay a fine of 300 baht to pay at some far away police station to get your license back?

With this anti bribe action they should also improve the way to pay your fine on the spot. Only then it can be successful.

I don't know how it works elsewhere but on Highway 2 Nong Khai - Udon Than ( and around the municipality ) - Khon Kaen I've paid on the spot, and with receipt, to an officer at a table. It's always been very polite and only once would I have said it was a stretch that I disobeyed a Red Light but I didn't argue.

I've also received a friendly warning, no action, twice.

I can't agree this reward system is good as it doesn't take long for the BIB to work financial things out which will lead to abuses.

If this scheme is restricted to Bkk what about moral elsewhere and will their be a flood of transfer applications ?

I had that once as well, where they set up a good payment point. No bribes there :)

I've seen a lot of posts ridiculing this new scheme (an understandable reaction to anything related to the RTP, of course) but I actually think this could work. The simple fact is, no-one will offer a bribe of 10,000 THB for any motoring offence. And if there's a genuine fear of entrapment and arrest, no-one will accept a police officer's request of a bribe either. So with the reward set so high, they're effectively pricing bribes out of the market. So it's a win-win situation surely?

It could be, but the problem is that if it's successful, the bib will lose his daily extra money!

What will happen then? They will need their daily extra money back somehow I guess.

With this anti bribe action they should also improve the way to pay your fine on the spot. Only then it can be successful.

I don't know how it works elsewhere but on Highway 2 Nong Khai - Udon Than ( and around the municipality ) - Khon Kaen I've paid on the spot, and with receipt, to an officer at a table. It's always been very polite and only once would I have said it was a stretch that I disobeyed a Red Light but I didn't argue.

I can't agree this reward system is good as it doesn't take long for the BIB to work financial things out which will lead to abuses.

If this scheme is restricted to Bkk what about moral elsewhere and will their be a flood of transfer applications ?

I had that once as well, where they set up a good payment point. No bribes there :)

MODS: Pls delete this post. Double post. Sorry

Edited by Cheops

Update: Police officer Wuttachai Moobacon was recently faced with a dilemma on the Don Muang section of the tollway when an offending motorist offered him a 11,000 baht bribe to avoid a traffic ticket.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif....mca....best post of the week award

......"Yes said PO Wuttacai "this put me in a really difficult position for at least 2 seconds...but I resolved it quickly...I took the 11,000.....photographed the driver giving it too me.....arrested him.......searched his pockets.......located the 11,000b again......confiscated the 11,000b (evidence)...took the arrested driver back to the station....showed the boss my photograph...boss congratulated me and handed me the 10,000 reward"

"I then rang the wife and told her ...guess what?...I just made 21000b in 30 minutes...".

Good to hear all this ! I ask myself how this system works since two policemen have already been rewarded. Is it on a simple allegation? Because an attempt ti corruption is not a traffic offense! It should go through a court and this is a long procedure also uncertain that the case can be proved sucessfully.

The problem would disappear when the tickets become payable by bank transfer or directly on the spot by credit or debit card. No cash on the spot. Problem solved but this country is not famous for a logical approach to any problem.

Bingo!

Yes and if they don't pay then send payment reminders to their province addresses which will endup in the trashbin... tongue.png This country is not ready for non cash penalty payments..

• Like 1

[quote name="ClutchClark" post="8510381" timestamp="1412900143

Would there not be some incentive for an officer to just falsely accuse a motorist of attempted bribe?

But seriously, 50 Baht? Thats actually insulting.

50 thb is the normal bribe paid by 'poor' Thai people in a truck when pulled over by police in Bangkok.

Your comment is symptomatic of The incorrect western perception of value in Thailand that will increase the price of everything in Thailand especially for farang and has no place in the reality of Thai life, it is pure westspeak.

Honesty and dignity among traffic officers?

Try jail and fines for all cops demanding bribes instead of punishment for the public.

Do you ever wonder...what will be the next CRAZY idea out of Thailand?

Crooked arrests...Cure of Ebola...all in their warped little minds,but never reality.

I feel sorry for ASEAN. they are in for a shock.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

Sadly that will never happen. If ticket revenue were payable by bank transfer or credit or debit card there would be a traceable record of the transaction and the "big" police at the ticket processing centers would have to then explain why they were only showing 150.000 baht of revenue if their area wrote 300,000 baht of tickets last month.

Other than keeping the words "corruption" and "bribes" in the headlines, which is good, this is a failed program because it is the completely wrong approach. In my opinion this will do nothing to prevent bribes from being offered, accepted, or asked for. You don't reward a cop for not breaking the law, a concept which reinforces the fact that an honest cop in Thailand is a rare thing indeed, but instead why not conduct under cover stings and start arresting some cops that take the bribes. I have never heard of a sting to catch cops taking bribes in Thailand which is surprising when you consider most (all?) do.

I often bribed the police.. not because i did not want to pay but because I did not want to look for a police station to pay the fine. If they made the payment of fines easier then I would not bribe a single one. I have even offered normal price just so I did not have to look for a police box.

Guess I will have to be careful.

• Like 1

Agree that is the only reason I sometimes bribe as I dont want to spend my time looking for a police box in unfamiliar places.

I hear you can pay at the post office but never had this confirmed.

The level of hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Can you explain where the hypocrisy lies in this report? An officer arrests someone for offering a bribe, that's hypocritical?

That would be proper police work and what can be expected from a proper police force, but sadly not here. The hypocrisy lies in that now rewards are offered to those, who normally asked for a bribe in the first place, to arrest those who give in to their illegal demands for a long time already. Not to mention the potential for extortion that comes with this measure. Fox, hen house, guarding etc springs to my mind.

Why would anyone "lose a half day or a day" to pay a fine and what's with the "far away police station"? Police stations are open 24 hours a day and the fine would be paid and licence retrieved from the local police station in the area the ticket was issued.

Paying fines on the spot to the police officer is exactly what the authorities are trying to stop!

Obviously every traffic officer is going to want to "participate" in this sweepstakes giveaway, so what happens when motorists stop handing over their tea money. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to get on the winners list, no actual bribe attempt really required...

And how many of these "rewards" will be paid out before whatever's funding it @ B10K a pop runs dry? Then what happens?

The whole thing is so bizarre. A great setup opportunity and worrisome incentive for cops. But NO rewards in it for motorists, honest or otherwise. As if it's the motorists that were the problem!

"As if it's the motorists that were the problem!"

If they are committing an offence then the motorist is the problem.

I had that once as well, where they set up a good payment point. No bribes there smile.png

I got stopped between Saraburi and Bangkok and my tax had expired. My bad I thought it went until the end of the next month. Paid the 400 baht fine at a table, was given a receipt and the cop even said that if I was stopped at another checkpoint further down the road to show them the recepit that I'd already been fined. I wanted to say " Excuse me are you guys new to this?" biggrin.png

• Like 1

Interesting what will happen at the "tinted window Box, at Sigma on Jomtien. They are there most days collecting from tourists, Thais seem to go past with no helmets, Falungs get stopped even if they have one. Into the office and all sorted.

As some will know there is a laughable Russian tour office on the footpath, a bar that runs late with young clients, and a restaurant, all on the footpath next to the "Box", I assuming they are the landlord. They have not stopped me, I live right there, if they do I surely will take photos of their business empire.

Trouble with this new approach is that if you are actually guilty, paying them is easier than going to the station, that is why we pay.

Why would anyone "lose a half day or a day" to pay a fine and what's with the "far away police station"? Police stations are open 24 hours a day and the fine would be paid and licence retrieved from the local police station in the area the ticket was issued.

Paying fines on the spot to the police officer is exactly what the authorities are trying to stop!

Yeah, that's nice,but in many cases (like on Vibhavadi rd) the cop takes your license to send it to some main police distribution point, which is not the police post where they 'catch' you. You then first need to wait until your license arrives there to be able to go there and pay to get your license back. YES, that resulted in half a day loss! And this is in a for me known area! Can you imagine if the cop takes your license if you are in some area just passing through?

If they just give you a ticket to pay and let you keep your license it's ok and you can pay at any post office.

Let's be honest here:

all of us don't give a ... about the actual fine, which is mostly very small. It's all about convenience.