Rice husk surface among huge stockpiles of cassava: Thailand

webfact

Rice husk surface among huge stockpiles of cassava

10-10-2014-1-02-14-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Commerce officials have uncovered rice husk among huge stockpiles of cassava kept at privately-owned warehouses indicating another corruption scandal in the pledging scheme of the previous government.

The finding was a joint inspection of officials from the Commerce Ministry and the Public Warehouse Organisation (PWO) to examine the conditions of the remaining 497,000 tons of casava stocks kept at privately-owned warehouses across the country.

The ministry wanted to know exactly how much are good and bad are remained in the stocks before calling for auction to save warehouse cost.

The inspection of warehouses in Ratchaburi and Ayutthaya provinces revealed rice husk among the cassava stockpiles indicating fishy practice either by the private warehouse owners or state officials or it was a collaboration.

Inspection officials discovered piles of big bags containing rice husk were placed on top of rows of cassava sacks and then covered by cassava sacks on the top row.

Officials have filed complaints with the police and planned to file criminal charges against all relevant people, and to demand compensation for the loss.

It was not immediately known how much was stolen but initial assessment revealed several tens of thousands of tons were missing from the stockpiles.

Officials said keeping cassava and rice in warehouse was different as rice needed more than one person to hold the key and open the warehouse.

Opening rice warehouse is more stringent, officials said.

One official said that for cassava stockpiles, warehouse owner can open the warehouse to check or it required rotation of rows of cassava sacks once in a two-month period for ventilation and prevent moisture.

This practice could allow a chance for unscrupulous warehouse owner to steal them for sales when it fetches good price, and buy back to fill the missing when price falls.

The PWO board d has ordered its management to check all stockpiles to see how much us missing and how much is remaining good before pursuing court cases against all involved.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rice-husk-surface-among-huge-stockpiles-cassava/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-10

I fear many other dubious schemes are still waiting to be "un-covered". How the politicians think this stuff up so quickly amazes me. blink.png

When will it stop

As long as there is one corrupt official willing to work with corrupt businessmen, it will never stop. What are the odds of ridding Thailand of corrupt officials and businessmen, or, at least narrowing it down to a few hundred?

So to answer your question...Sometime around the twelfth....OF NEVER.wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

• Like 2

Knew about the stockpiles of rice and rubber but didn't realize they had cassava as well.

The OP does not say for sure but presumably these stockpiles belong to the Government, that is the country, the people.

Might be a good time to check the rubber stockpiles to see if they are padded with something as well.

These things would have all been the responsibility of the commerce ministry.

We have already seen 2 of the previous commerce ministers, a permanent Sec and from memory 15 others sacked, this looks like something else to add to the list of their sins.

Charges will be filed, a few low ranking government officials will be moved to their famous inactive posts until the storm blows over. Then its back to business as normal. There is no one in this country trying seriously to get rid of corruption. Results or rather lack of, speak for themselves.

• Like 1

Charges will be filed, a few low ranking government officials will be moved to their famous inactive posts until the storm blows over. Then its back to business as normal. There is no one in this country trying seriously to get rid of corruption. Results or rather lack of, speak for themselves.

I just hope you are wrong but I fear you are right. Come on General. Thailand needs some action, not just "inactive posts."

I fear many other dubious schemes are still waiting to be "un-covered". How the politicians think this stuff up so quickly amazes me. blink.png

When will it stop

As long as there is one corrupt official willing to work with corrupt businessmen, it will never stop. What are the odds of ridding Thailand of corrupt officials and businessmen, or, at least narrowing it down to a few hundred?

About the same chance as removing it from anyplace else in the World.

I read Canada and NZ are the only places without corruption...some mutant gene.

• Like 1

How in hell can anybody be trusted in thailand?

As far as the common people go, it is no wonder they don't trust farang. They figure everyone is corrupt.

I live in Isan and find that almost all Thais not involved in a business or government are as honest as people get.

Pretty much the same as the US.

• Like 1

I've grown man sam palang (cassava) for many years. I have never heard of any Government scheme that that controlled the price.Can anone point me to a scheme where tapioca growers were assisted in any way?.I'd love to hear about it, maybe I missed something.

looks like yl went in for food stuffs in a big way, maybe that is why her butt has become a tad fat but somehow I doubt she was eating all the profitsw00t.gif

Nah, it was most likely her influential, big sister eating those profits. They just told Ms Yingluck when and where to sign the papers.

The growers of any farm product that the government gets involved in are not intended to recieve any of the spoils, That is for the politicans, middle men cronies, millers/storage facilities, etc.

Someone asked ''how much does rice husk sell for''? The last number I heard was about 2000 baht a ton, if you could even find a buyer., that might be outdated but it would certainly be much cheaper than the cassava chips it was mixed with in the warehouse where storage was being paid to the storage ower by whoever owns the cassava (most likiely the government)

The more the army inspects the more outright fraud they find at the scene of inspection, but those companies/individuals who are reaping the majority of the vast sums of money seem to have been untouchable in the past. The present government is being monitored by the honest and the dishonest to see if their promise/mandate to expose corruption and persucute from the highest to the lowest level is fullfilled. The public support seems to be there for a gut wrenching house cleaning of the parasites sucking the life blood from the nation, hopefully this is recongized and acted upon swiftly.

Well, it starts with rule of law. Start jailing the Mr. Bigs and confiscating their ill gotten gains and you might start to see a change. But until the rich and powerful behind all these corruption schemes start to see jail time, NOTHING will change.

"Start jailing the Mr. Bigs and confiscating their ill gotten gains and you might start to see a change."

I admit it's a nice (right) idea. However, after jailing all Mr. Big, the corruption starts again with the sale of 100.000 deserted luxury mansions (must sell- owner gone fishing for 20 years). It's a vital part of their 'culture'.