Re-entry stamp with wrong date - refused exit at Don Muang

Thanks to a mistake at Chonburi immigration , I was refused exit at Don Muang as I was on my way to Phnom Penh for a weekend trip . I was told to pay for 6 days overstay or I could forget to leave the country .

On my old re-entry stamp from June the officer at the immigration office in Jomtien had mistakenly put the wrong date on the re-entry stamp and it did not match my latest visa renewal dates . So there was nothing they could do , they told me to return to Chonburi so they could correct the mistake, But my plane was leaving in one hour so I had no other choice than pay 3000 baht for overstay . There was nothing they could do to help me.

Lesson learned , check that the dates on the re-entry stamp match your visa renewal stamp or yo uwill end up paying for overstay.

Edited by balo

Not sure I understand. Your re-entry stamp has nothing to with being on an overstay.

Do you mean your permission to stay or extension of stay stamp? If the expiry of either the permission or extension was mistakenly set too soon, that would possibly create the impression that you had overstayed.

You don't need a re-entry permit to exit the country. Without one you could not re-enter the country without losing the permission to stay or extension of stay that you had, but exiting would not be a problem.

On my old re-entry stamp from June the officer at the immigration office in Jomtien had mistakenly put the wrong date on the re-entry stamp and it did not match my latest visa renewal dates . So there was nothing they could do , they told me to return to Chonburi so they could correct the mistake,

Was the wrong re-entry stamp giving you more or days in country than the extension of stay ?

Lesson learned , check that the dates on the re-entry stamp match your visa renewal stamp or yo uwill end up paying for overstay.

I'm a little surprised since you're often on this forum.

Not sure I understand. Your re-entry stamp has nothing to with being on an overstay.

Do you mean your permission to stay or extension of stay stamp? If the expiry of either the permission or extension was mistakenly set too soon, that would possibly create the impression that you had overstayed.

You don't need a re-entry permit to exit the country. Without one you could not re-enter the country without losing the permission to stay or extension of stay that you had, but exiting would not be a problem.

Ok let me explain this again .

The Re-entry permit I received at chonburi immigration has been dated wrong. "Valid until 03. october" This is an old re-entry stamp so already used when I returned to Thailand 10th of August . . My normal renewal stamp is valid for 3 months , until 13. October. I left the kingdom 09. October.

So the officer at Don Muang would not let me leave because of the wrong re-entry date the chonburi immigation gave me when I applied for it in June.

Are you all following me now?

balo, other members were confused because you mentioned "re-entry stamp", while the term "re-entry" is usually only used when talking about a re-entry permit. From your posts, it appears that that you had an extension of stay until 13 OCT 2014 from the Chonburi immigration office but when you applied for a re-entry permit it was given to you with the erroneous expiration date of 03 OCT 2014 and for this reason you were given permission to stay only until 03 OCT 2014 when you arrived with this re-entry permit on 10 AUG 2014. Then when you left Thailand on 09 OCT 2014 you were found to be on overstay and fined accordingly. Is this how it happened?

• Like 1

balo, other members were confused because you mentioned "re-entry stamp", while the term "re-entry" is usually only used when talking about a re-entry permit. From your posts, it appears that that you had an extension of stay until 13 OCT 2014 from the Chonburi immigration office but when you applied for a re-entry permit it was given to you with the erroneous expiration date of 03 OCT 2014 and for this reason you were given permission to stay only until 03 OCT 2014 when you arrived with this re-entry permit on 10 AUG 2014. Then when you left Thailand on 09 OCT 2014 you were found to be on overstay and fined accordingly. Is this how it happened?

Yes sorry about the confusion , english is not my native language you know.

So I guess I should have checked the validity date they gave me the first time for the re-entry , that it matched the expiration date of my exttension of stay. But it was not in my mind that the immigration would put he wrong date on a re-entry permit.

WOW! That was a mouthful! The scary thing is I actually think that I understand what you posted!

I see they make the mistake and you pay. How about they make the mistake and they pay you for the mistake. Sounds like a bunch of crooks. Are they really that dumb?

I think that makes them rather smart.

Have you been to Thailand....................................at all ?