Got Stopped Tonight...

ChiangraiTony

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me a sceptic, but the OP seems to remember every detail, of the encounter, far too clearly.. I suspect a lonely night with not much to do, so came up with this story.

Actually I wasn't drinking so my mind was fairly clear. It was late and the baby was sleeping and wife at home so I had some free time to go get some dinner. As for knowing every detail, well actually I have been known to be very detailed so it's nothing new for me but thank you for pointing it out.

• Like 1

Sounds like he wanted to practice his Engrish and you obliged.

The correct action would have been to ask, "Am I being detain or arrested, officer? If not, am I free to go?"

As far as having been in Thailand for five years without learning any Thai passed hello and thank you -- yes, they are right it is an outrage.

Would it be OK for a Mexican to move to your hometown in New York and not learn any English? Wait...don't answer that...

You did the crime (no helmet, paperwork) you paid no fine, but you had to do a little time practicing English with him. While it may be inconvenient look at it as an opportunity to make a positive acquaintance with a policeman, you never know it may work out in your favor in the future. The best way to get out of it would be to ask questions in return, Yes I have a wife and children... are you married and have children? If it goes on much longer invite him and his family to dinner, never hurts to have a policeman as a friend.

• Like 1

-snip-

Would it be OK for a Mexican to move to your hometown in New York and not learn any English? Wait...don't answer that...

It is SO much easier for a Mexican to learn English or for an NES to learn Spanish than it is for an NES to learn Thai!!

I don't hear tones real well any more and I give up.

English and Spanish are both Latin derivative languages and have a similar sentence structure and even some words that are easy to remember. Neither is tonal. They share the same alphabet.

I can speak some Spanish (Mexican actually) just from being around it some, but I'll never learn Thai.

Thais who are tone deaf speak their own language with no difficulty, English is not a Latin based language as Spanish is, English comes from Low German and a large part of the vocabulary is French from the Norman Invasion of Britain. Mexican is not a language, Spanish is the language, now if you said Mexican Spanish that would be correct, but redundant. As a 37 years resident who speaks Thai fluently and a New Yorker I can tell you this. Take the time to learn the language it really isn't that difficult, If you are lazy and don't want to do it, fine but then face the criticism and stop blaming in on tones, Own up to your laziness and shortcomings.

• Like 1

I think you did fine. I would be more than happy to engage with them on conversational topics to put both parties at ease. Think of hostage negotiations and such. I was a bit surprised they asked some follow up questions, as it goes against conversation rules as outlined in fun book "Siam Smiles". The longer they can talk and see you are not drunk, trying to prove your superiority, treat them with respect as a fellow human, the more likely you are to get off with a warning.

The correct action in this case is to divert the conversation towards football, the English premiership if course. Ask the officer which team he supports , tell him yours and say next time they play lets watch together. May i go now? This of course requires the Thai language. PM me if you would like to know my rates.

• Like 1

Big checkpoint near my house on the middle ring road last night.

Got stopped at about 11:30, in my car.

Had had many drinks, was certainly over the limit but not quite paralytic.

All very polite and friendly.

No big deal.

They are looking for drugs, I think.

Too many posters on here make an issue of nothing.

Admitting to driving drunk on a public forum and seem to think nothing of it since they did not arrest you. You sir are a menace to each and every one of us who shares these already dangerous roads with you. Words cannot express the utter disdain I have for you and those like you! You do realize that your CHOICE to drive intoxicated puts peoples live at risk right? Utterly pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Globalctzn , you have a choice also.

Shelter in your condo because the reality is there are drunks out there.

Care to explain whose lives I put at risk ?????

Justify your comment, perhaps ??

And to Guitarboy, this is Chiangmai, not Japan or an American enclave.

Chiangmai rules apply.

The outrage is amusing and still tasty.

Why a helmet under the seat? You should be smarter than that!

i had been driving around phuket for about 3 or 4 hours and got to the beach road in Patong, foolishly i took off my helmet, put it under the seat and slowly drove along the road looking for somewhere to park my bike...then right at the bottom of bangla road , cop blew his whistle and pulled me into the side of the road...no luck, but what annoyed me more was that about 10 other farangs were pulled over, while hundreds of thais not wearing a helmet just drove bye and not even a glance from the cops...

As for drink driving, when i was younger and dumber,and full of it , i took that chance of driving home the 3 or 4 miles into the countryside, quite often , and ended up wrapped round a fence , and 1 night being chaced by the police, went through a red light , trying to get away., pulled over in front of me and i was bundled into the cop van.....i learned my lesson then... not only did i hurt myself but it could have been someone else i hit...nowadays , its taxis or tuk tuks every time i want a few drinks...cheaper in the long run , and wont cause loss of life (unless the bleedin tuk tuk driver is drunk ;-) )

• Like 1

The correct action in this case is to divert the conversation towards football, the English premiership if course. Ask the officer which team he supports , tell him yours and say next time they play lets watch together. May i go now? This of course requires the Thai language. PM me if you would like to know my rates.

getting stopped many times heading to Patong by their normal daily road stops, and usually turns into a conversation about football...confuses the cops when they see my british passport, danish license, and i have a scottish football team tattoo on 1 arm, a danish and german football teams "friendship" tattoo on the other with a wolf wearing boxing gloves...lol this usually makes the cop forget what he stopped me for laugh.png

It is interesting how submissive we become when stopped by police in a foreign country. They know we will be circus clowns for them, and without proper understanding of laws and language we will continue to be clowns. In your home country, I'm sure it's totally different. 100%. I think it's a little sad that we move to another country and change so drastically. I had to do it in Cambodia, and I know it felt wrong getting questioned at the border and delayed so they can try to separate me in order to use an atm or something ridiculous.

anyhow, no harm no foul. glad everything worked out. let's say you are there another 20-years, i know taking some thai classes would help. maybe speak with the wife on a deeper level, who knows. i don't mean the OP, just everyone in general. i won't retire in thailand, but if i do in a country with a different language and laws, i certainly will become knowledgeable in both.

No big deal.

Admitting to driving drunk on a public forum and seem to think nothing of it since they did not arrest you. You sir are a menace to each and every one of us who shares these already dangerous roads with you. Words cannot express the utter disdain I have for you and those like you! You do realize that your CHOICE to drive intoxicated puts peoples live at risk right? Utterly pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justify your comment, perhaps ??

And to Guitarboy, this is Chiangmai, not Japan or an American enclave.

Chiangmai rules apply.

The outrage is amusing and still tasty.

You put the lives at risk of each and every driver (and their passengers/families) on the road at the same time/same vicinity you were. You must know that???

Chiang Mai rules?

"The outrage is amusing and still tasty." You are sick. You belong in jail. You drunk.

• Like 2

The correct action would have been to ask, "Am I being detain or arrested, officer? If not, am I free to go?"

As far as having been in Thailand for five years without learning any Thai passed hello and thank you -- yes, they are right it is an outrage.

I would pay money to see your moronic azz say this to a Thai cop, it works a little bit in the U.S. but not here, obviously you think you are genious and right all the time, you must be a Brit or an Auzzie, good luck in the future with the cops, I hope I see a picture or video of you where the boys are doing a Rodney King on you.

Peace.

WB.

What a pant load that is.

I agree with your actions 100% bud, never get upset with the police, but if they carry on to much it is always smart to ask them to bring in your wife or GF or BF for some other people in the thread, this jerk off <deleted> talking trash about not being able to speak Thai is way out of order, I have lived here 13 years and have taken Thai language courses and i am still able to only speak 40%, so that <deleted> can fo back to where he came from, you are all good bud, I hope you have a great night.

Jeremy.

No big deal.

Every man, woman, child, and living creature in this highlighted area.

chiang-mai2.jpg
Edited by norstatin

The idea that a westerner can come here and think he/she can get away with it, just because they can't do so back home, is all a bit rich for my blood. And folks seem to confuse matters also, just because there is corruption in Thailand doesn't mean to say the place is totally lawless and the people are void of all standards and morals, go talk to some middle class Thai's and ask them what they think about drink driving and the 25,000+ people who get killed on the roads every year, they're amongst the first to want to change all of that.

Is it really that many? I knew the number was high, but that's almost obscene. The per capita number must be equally frightening if that is the figure.

Figures range from 24k to 28k:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688565-thailand-ranks-the-worlds-third-in-highest-road-fatalities/

So if you take a middle figure of 26,000 road deaths per year, divide it by 365 days and you get about 71 people per day. Way too many.

During the 'dangerous' driving holidays like New Year and Songkran the newspapers publish daily statistics of deaths, and they are not usually far above these averages or can even be less. Hence they are probably safer days to be driving.

Is this due to the increased police presence, or the fact that most of the drivers are so drunk that they actually drive better?

The idea that a westerner can come here and think he/she can get away with it, just because they can't do so back home, is all a bit rich for my blood. And folks seem to confuse matters also, just because there is corruption in Thailand doesn't mean to say the place is totally lawless and the people are void of all standards and morals, go talk to some middle class Thai's and ask them what they think about drink driving and the 25,000+ people who get killed on the roads every year, they're amongst the first to want to change all of that.

Is it really that many? I knew the number was high, but that's almost obscene. The per capita number must be equally frightening if that is the figure.

Figures range from 24k to 28k:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688565-thailand-ranks-the-worlds-third-in-highest-road-fatalities/

So if you take a middle figure of 26,000 road deaths per year, divide it by 365 days and you get about 71 people per day. Way too many.

During the 'dangerous' driving holidays like New Year and Songkran the newspapers publish daily statistics of deaths, and they are not usually far above these averages or can even be less. Hence they are probably safer days to be driving.

Is this due to the increased police presence, or the fact that most of the drivers are so drunk that they actually drive better?

An interesting observation, I'd never looked at the Sonkran death toll in relationship to national daily averages but yes, you're right. Perhaps it's down to increased awareness or indeed, increased policing, maybe a combination of both. I also think that a part of that picture has to do with increased wealth in Thailand, more people have new cars than in years gone by and as a result they drive more cautiously than if they were in a beat up old pickup.

But I remember around ten years ago when those numbers were very different during Sonkran, the five day toll was around 1,100 at one point, if memory serves so whatever they are doing is working.

Sounds like it went well, and yes, he was certainly wanting to use his English. Good for him, and your patience. As far as your not speaking Thai after 5 years, I can understand his question there. I know, most of my friends here state "I don't need to learn Thai, they all speak English". Yes, if you only live in the middle of a tourist area, and don't go into the outlying areas. I truly believe that most Americans have a problem with Mexicans in the states because most Mexicans just live with their friends, and don't feel the need to learn the English. They are wrong. Their life in the U.S. would be so much better for them if they learned English, and your life will be better here if you learn Thai. It shows respect.

The road toll could be considerably reduced if they would have police vehicles actually on the highways, and by ways, making arrests/fines for irresponsible driving.

The practice of just setting up check points at holiday times is totally ineffective.They need a visible presence on the roads.

Speed cameras are a cash cow for many countries but they do actually make people think twice about speeding,especially if the fines are substantial.

Max speed signs are also in short supply and how many motorists would actually know the speed limit on the road they travel on,if there is one.

No big deal.

Every man, woman, child, and living creature in this highlighted area.

chiang-mai2.jpg

Thanks for the map, i didn't realise Chiangmai is so big.

Those Mexican beers with the lemon wedge thingy at the Goodview must somehow cloud ones vision.....

Thank you all for the ( light or is it slight ? ) entertainment and I will stop now.

Of course driving under the influence is quite properly a serious and criminal offence which I do not condone in any way.

Fact is though, there are a lot of drunk drivers out there.

Thank you all for your sanctimonious outrage.

A pleasure to witness.

sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous/ˌsaNG(k)təˈmōnēəs/
adjective
  1. making a show of being morally superior to other people.
  • Like 2