Cost Of Hospital Visits And Birth

N47HAN

anyone recently had childrenin Phuket?

best hospital with charges would be great.

baby is due in 6mth so just starting with the blood tests ultrasound etc....

thx

My little boy was born in Thalang government hospital 9 months ago. We were fortunate enough to have the entire delivery room to ourselves and the attention of all the staff. I couldn't have praised them more for all help and support we received....Of course most expats use a private hospital - Phuket Bangkok hospital seems to be the favorite, but it's not cheap. :o

I posted re this a couple of months ago. Our baby son was born in Phuket International (Siriroj) Hospital by casaerian section (birth canel too small...)

Total cost for operation was 12,000 baht. Stay in top-notch room for 5 days plus all nurses/doctors/medication etc added another 22,000 baht to the bill.

Looked after very well - no complaints

Simon

Baby girl born @ Bangkok – Phuket Hospital 1 year ago

In my Opinion BKK-HKT Hospital is the finest one on the island but that also comes with a steep price.

If you want the best go to BKK-HKT if you want also very good and comparable got to Phuket International hospital.

In any event your should tour both these hospitals and also give mission hospital a look at.

Top 3 on the island in my own personal opinion ( I believe also ranked by price)

Bangkok-Phuket Hospital http://www.phukethospital.com/

Phuket International Hospital http://www.phuket-inter-hospital.co.th/

Mission Hospital Phuket http://www.mission-hospital.org

Rough prices given by the hospital (This is form memory so may not be exact + for some reason it’s hard for them to give you a straight answer on price, they’ll give you a range )

Natural birth package 30,000THB

Planned C-section 60,000THB

The above prices are also subject to certain surcharges such as your room preference (Super deluxe, Deluxe, Standard, Ward) and if there are complications requiring additional Meds or procedures. If you want local anesthesia or the spinal block. There are many factors that can affect the cost.

Top notch Hospital, looks more like a hotel then a hospital.

Started our pre-natal care there, and switched doctors once (old doctor –female- was fine but the one we switched to a male Dr. who had studied in America and his English was better and we felt more comfortable with him.)

Our Experience at the Bangkok Phuket hospital:

Arrived at the Hospital with appointment for inducing labor (wife was 3 weeks overdue) 10am Saturday

Doctor administers oxytosin to induce labour at 11am wife hooked up to fetal monitor. (Note for some stupid reason the mattresses on the beds in the pre-labor room are ridiculously thin, less then 2 inch. I recommend bringing a futon with you or getting them to upgrade your pre-labour room mattress long before you get there. Start complaining in the 8th month when you take a tour of the facilities.

Wife is hooked up to fetal monitoring equipment and contractions start small and far apart.

Little progress is made and my wife is taken off the drugs at 10pm so she can get some sleep that night (yeah right) Though off the labour inducing drug she continues to have small contractions during the night and doesn’t sleep well because of them and the hard bed.

Next morning Sunday 8am my wife is placed back on the oxytosin and WHAM contractions started hitting in a big way.

Demoral shot in the butt right away, followed by one the next hour and the next.

Wife’s water broken for her at about 10am

10:30 am contradictions intense epidural administered. It took a while to put in as it’s a delicate procedure and you have to be very still so the anesthesiologist had to work in-between contractions.

Doctor noticed drop in heart rate with contraction for the baby and prepped his surgical team. (since the Dr. prepped his team wife could have the bikini-line c-section)

Heart rate dropped again each time for the next 5 contractions. Dr. made the decision for C-section

Wife prepped for c-section, I’m allowed in the OR.

“Can you feel this” doctor pressing on abdomen and poking toes

“Yes”, replies my wife, “just give me what it would take to knock our a 300 lbs man” My wife has a high pain medication resistance.

The doctor asks if he should knock her our? I say give the meds 5 more minutes. So, after double the dose of epidural it finally takes effect after a few minutes.

11:22am c-section preformed, Dr. shows me cord wrapped around the baby’s neck. (Dr. made absolutely the right call for C-Section) and out comes baby. I get to cut the cord. And follow the baby to the nursery where it is weighed and examined and given oxygen.

They hold on to the baby to monitor for awhile and we get her back in our Super Deluxe room at 18:00

So after 5 day stay in hospital and lots of meds for the failed natural birth and anesthesia and everything else the total bill came out to 85,000THB

My wife says for the next one we’re just going in for the planned C-section package.

I had my son in Mission Hospital. It's not all frills - just basic. The reception nurses couldn't speak much English though.

The delivery staff were all very professional. I booked myself into a private room. The going rate was less than 1,500 THB per day for the room.

For a drug-free natural birth the bill came up to no more than 12,000 THB in total including the private room. I left the hospital after the 3rd day. I was working and had social insurance so half of the bill was paid by the government.

Why not have a look at the hospital to see if you are comfortable with it?

I can also recommend a good gynae, he is based in Phuket town, inexpensive, no frills, but very experienced. Just send me a PM if you want to get in touch with him.