Thai Women: A raw deal?

geronimo

It always amazes me how a bunch of fat, smelly full time bar patrons in pattaya are complaining about Thai people being lazy.....and this is exactly why I left Canada. Western hipocrisy. Now as far as bar girls are concerned watched a documentary which said their base salary is 3500 a month.... So no.....it's not easy money. Imagine people in retail putting up with customers they don't like....now imagine a poor bargirl having to be intimate with the same jerk. Eeewww

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree totaly with the OP,

I think some are taking the piss, or havnt seen the real thailand,

even in the vilage, all you see are groups of boys sitting about, you never see the girls, they will be helping there mum get things ready for the boys when they decide to come home and the father,

on the market you dont see many boys helping out,( there are the odd ones),

the girls allways want to do better at school,

i agree op i really do

thai women and young girls get a bum deal here,

its a darn good thing thai girls got a raw deal...............lol.

or else they might not be as hospitable to us as they are............lol.

Choochoo:

Enjoy it while it lasts. I live in a small village, and from what I can tell running off to Pattaya is becoming a less and less attractive option to village girls.

Don't get me wrong. I've spent more than my fair share of time in the bars. I'm not in a position to lecture or judge.

I too used to tell myself - - before I knew better - - that it was all good clean fun. I truly believed that there was none of the angst here usually associated with prostitution in the west (drug addiction, child sexual abuse, broken homes, poverty, etc.)

But you seem to be saying that it's OK to knowingly exploit these girls who have limited opportunities.

All I'm asking is, look into your heart. You might be surprised by what you find.

even in the vilage, all you see are groups of boys sitting about, you never see the girls, they will be helping there mum get things ready for the boys when they decide to come home and the father,

i agree op i really do

Choochoo:

Enjoy it while it lasts. I live in a small village, and from what I can tell running off to Pattaya is becoming a less and less attractive option to village girls.

Don't get me wrong. I've spent more than my fair share of time in the bars. I'm not in a position to lecture or judge.

I too used to tell myself - - before I knew better - - that it was all good clean fun. I truly believed that there was none of the angst here usually associated with prostitution in the west (drug addiction, child sexual abuse, broken homes, poverty, etc.)

But you seem to be saying that it's OK to knowingly exploit these girls who have limited opportunities.

All I'm asking is, look into your heart. You might be surprised by what you find

so what are the options opening up to village girls. IT does seem the bars are low on girls nowadays,

its not so much exploitation of the girls as it is business!

i agree op i really do

Choochoo:

All I'm asking is, look into your heart. You might be surprised by what you find

so what are the options opening up to village girls. IT does seem the bars are low on girls nowadays,

its not so much exploitation of the girls as it is business!

Take a look at Bangkok or any of the industrial areas during the Thai holidays. Empty. The ladies have all gone back to the villages. Thailand has excellent public transportation and it's not like it's a big country; more the size of a State in the US, Canada or Australia. The opportunities available to the village girls are the same as available to any woman anywhere. Get up off a** and go find a job.

In Thailand, over 38 per cent of board members and CEOs are female, while in the Philippines the figure is about 47 per cent. In other words, barriers have been lowered over the past few years, thus narrowing the gender gap in positions of power in the corporate world.

"Previously, female workers were often at a disadvantage due to perceptions that they are less capable than men, or they should stay home more and take care of kids and families rather than work in the corporate boardroom, management office or factory.

"In fact, Thai women generally are more fortunate than their counterparts in other Asian countries such as China, South Korea or Japan, where men are predominant.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Women-getting-ahead-in-the-workplace-30202046.html

Most of these CEO's are there for two things usually.

1. Family business

2.Someone powerful is shafting them.

...and of course the odd one who is there because of skill....usually of chinese extraction

Typical Thai Visa male poster lost in his stereotypes about Thailand and Thai women.

Try reading and looking at the links I post and you might learn something.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Women-getting-ahead-in-the-workplace-30202046.html

From housekeeper to GM Naowarat Arunkong started as a housekeeper but through constant hard work and initiative rose to become the first Thai woman general manager at Anantara Hotels, Resorts and Spas, a hospitality unit of Minor Group, serving as an inspiring example for women in an industry where executive levels are male-dominated.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/From-housekeeper-to-GM-30178025.html

post-187908-0-02574300-1413549808_thumb.

You fellas woman cant have facebook, line or any other of the addictive selfie things yet, or possibly they just aren't addicted yet, give them time and watch the difference.

Oh she cooks a good evening meal and puts the washing in the machine and of course shopping is good sport, but not a lot else, waste of breath asking her to do anything when she is sitting staring at the screen

• Like 1

It always amazes me how a bunch of fat, smelly full time bar patrons in pattaya are complaining about Thai people being lazy.....and this is exactly why I left Canada. Western hipocrisy. Now as far as bar girls are concerned watched a documentary which said their base salary is 3500 a month.... So no.....it's not easy money. Imagine people in retail putting up with customers they don't like....now imagine a poor bargirl having to be intimate with the same jerk. Eeewww

So you think a prostitute only earns the base salary of 3500 baht / month ? You need to get a life and stop feeling sorry for lazy hookers.

So you think a prostitute only earns the base salary of 3500 baht / month ? You need to get a life and stop feeling sorry for lazy hookers.

The guy is delusional.where does he think they get all their iPads iPhones from it's like the apple store in soi cowboy pre opening when they are arranging business.

They can't wait for Apple pay.

I'd say around 80% of the indigenous Thais have work ethic issues...(lack of), and that's males and females included. The women might have a few points in their favor... say if 5 on a scale of 10 is generally lazy, with most men scoring about a 5 and women a 5.5... mostly because of a stronger instinctual drive not to let their children starve. It's kind of like Mexico. It's a wonderful place to be if you're not lazy though. It's like being able to go back in time and play little league baseball as an adult.

You're attempts to stereotype all Thai people only make you come off as an uneducated dolt. Thais are people, like anyone else, no more or no less. Some work hard some don't. There is no evidence that any national stereotypes are true.

There are many stereotypes surrounding individual nations. X's stereotype for Y may be different from Z's. The stereotypes may have kernels of truth to them, but they are not wholly correct, and so are heavily misleading. In some cases, negative stereotypes have been spread by one country in order to discredit another. Sometimes countries may promote national stereotypes about themselves in order to instill a sense of patriotism, for examples in wars when an us-vs.-them mentality is often favoured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_stereotypes

You're attempts to stereotype all Thai people only make you come off as an uneducated dolt.

Brilliant post, heres a tip Kerry, know your poster, Heng is THAI.

His observations aint so far from the truth.

Based on your extensive experience in the land of the Thai, can you please explain why the, Muslims, Chinese or Southern Thai dont suffer from the same malaise, why is it restricted to a certain area of Thailand, big clue, NE, is it because they aint actually Thai by birth but more by land claim.

Thesis, do Cambodian men suffer the same malaise?

Back to you, "history prof"

So because "Heng" is supposedly Thai, this automatically makes him an authority who we should all defer to?

To my ear his comments are shallow, uninformed, and racist drivel. If he's really Thai, I can only feel sorrow for him for showing such self-disrespect.

If there's anything holding back the advancement of Thai people, it's educational opportunity.

To suggest that it's because Thais lack a "work ethic" is ludicrous.

Just 80% of them. That leaves a good 11 million or so with an acceptable level of work ethic. Again, just IMHO.

:-)

Edited by Heng

You fellas woman cant have facebook, line or any other of the addictive selfie things yet, or possibly they just aren't addicted yet, give them time and watch the difference.

Oh she cooks a good evening meal and puts the washing in the machine and of course shopping is good sport, but not a lot else, waste of breath asking her to do anything when she is sitting staring at the screen

Sorry for you. You chose wrong but that does not mean everyone did. Your post is an indictment of you and not me or maybe us depending.

Your a Sad man , with twisted views,

In Thailand, over 38 per cent of board members and CEOs are female, while in the Philippines the figure is about 47 per cent. In other words, barriers have been lowered over the past few years, thus narrowing the gender gap in positions of power in the corporate world.

"Previously, female workers were often at a disadvantage due to perceptions that they are less capable than men, or they should stay home more and take care of kids and families rather than work in the corporate boardroom, management office or factory.

"In fact, Thai women generally are more fortunate than their counterparts in other Asian countries such as China, South Korea or Japan, where men are predominant.

Most of these CEO's are there for two things usually.

1. Family business

2.Someone powerful is shafting them.

...and of course the odd one who is there because of skill....usually of chinese extraction

Typical Thai Visa male poster lost in his stereotypes about Thailand and Thai women.

Try reading and looking at the links I post and you might learn something.

From housekeeper to GM Naowarat Arunkong started as a housekeeper but through constant hard work and initiative rose to become the first Thai woman general manager at Anantara Hotels, Resorts and Spas, a hospitality unit of Minor Group, serving as an inspiring example for women in an industry where executive levels are male-dominated.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/From-housekeeper-to-GM-30178025.html

I rest my case.

What case? The lady made it from maid to manager.

You said "Most of these CEO's are there for two things usually.

1. Family business

2.Someone powerful is shafting them."

Exactly the opposite?

From right, Anusra Chittmittrapap, Jarunan Ithiawatchakul, and Naowarat Arunkong are not Chinese names and please don't denigrate Thais with that racial nonsense again about the Chinese connection.

Edited by thailiketoo

"In Thai, they say that the women are the back legs of the elephant. I agree. If they stopped working, the country would grind to a halt."

I asked my (Thai) girlfriend about this expression, and according to her it means that Thai women follow their men, not that they are supporting them. But she may be wrong.

She is.

• Like 1

Your a Sad man , with twisted views,

Explain why?

I'd say around 80% of the indigenous Thais have work ethic issues...(lack of), and that's males and females included. The women might have a few points in their favor... say if 5 on a scale of 10 is generally lazy, with most men scoring about a 5 and women a 5.5... mostly because of a stronger instinctual drive not to let their children starve. It's kind of like Mexico. It's a wonderful place to be if you're not lazy though. It's like being able to go back in time and play little league baseball as an adult.

You're attempts to stereotype all Thai people only make you come off as an uneducated dolt. Thais are people, like anyone else, no more or no less. Some work hard some don't. There is no evidence that any national stereotypes are true.

There are many stereotypes surrounding individual nations. X's stereotype for Y may be different from Z's. The stereotypes may have kernels of truth to them, but they are not wholly correct, and so are heavily misleading. In some cases, negative stereotypes have been spread by one country in order to discredit another. Sometimes countries may promote national stereotypes about themselves in order to instill a sense of patriotism, for examples in wars when an us-vs.-them mentality is often favoured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_stereotypes

You're attempts to stereotype all Thai people only make you come off as an uneducated dolt.

Brilliant post, heres a tip Kerry, know your poster, Heng is THAI.

His observations aint so far from the truth.

Based on your extensive experience in the land of the Thai, can you please explain why the, Muslims, Chinese or Southern Thai dont suffer from the same malaise, why is it restricted to a certain area of Thailand, big clue, NE, is it because they aint actually Thai by birth but more by land claim.

Thesis, do Cambodian men suffer the same malaise?

Back to you, "history prof"

So because "Heng" is supposedly Thai, this automatically makes him an authority who we should all defer to?

To my ear his comments are shallow, uninformed, and racist drivel. If he's really Thai, I can only feel sorrow for him for showing such self-disrespect.

If there's anything holding back the advancement of Thai people, it's educational opportunity.

Personally I think we should be grateful a THAI actually takes the time to reply and post on here, IMHO he must have a pretty thick skin, especially when we consider some of the anti Thai rants from those who fished in the wrong pool for a partner.

I have no idea, what difference does his nationallity have to do with HIS opinions and personal observations.

Believe me or believe me not, if my Thai mrs ever posted on here she would pretty soon be branded an anti Thai or racist, or called a troll. There arent many things she has to say that are complimentry to the country, as I have posted before, she cant wait to leave here, as soon as the MIL pops her clogs, we are offski.

To my ear his comments are shallow, uninformed, and racist drivel.

Thank you very much for you opinion, in my opinion a lot of what he says is true, my and my wifes prejudices are based on personal observation, neither of us have any time for freeloaders or work shy lazy tawats.

If he's really Thai, I can only feel sorrow for him for showing such self-disrespect.

Maybe he is a realist rather than a saffron tinted glasses member.

As I have already stated my mrs doesnt suffer fools glady and will readily call " a spade a spade" (no offence meant for our PC readers.

What disrespect is he showing?

Belive me you couldnt be further from the truth, I have no desire to get into that conversation, I have had more than enough bans on here of late.

As someone who lives in Bkk and can read Thai, today, Ror Por Por, 500 baht per day, Mae Baan (maid) 500 baht per day, delivery truck drivers, up to 20k per month.

Why arent the "hammock swingers" getting the bus to Mor Chit to snap up these vacancies.

You can educate people all they want, if there is no work ethic installed its all in vain.

For the record, I know plenty of lazy educated farangs, its not something only found here.

Was in a Chinese shop today (have know the owner for years) the young girl about 8 years old was doing her English homework, I spent about 30 minutes with her, good old "jay" tried to give me my purchase for free as a way of thanks, I told her i couldnt accept her kind offer.

Across the road in the noodle stall, the owner was rushed of her feet, her husband was sat watching Chicken fighting on the telly, her fat barsteward son was too busy playing games to get off his lazy ass and help, the mrs got fed up waiting and went elsewhere.

I could go on, why bother.

• Like 2

No surprises that a thread designed to acknowledge the contribution of women to Thai society rapidly degenerated into a discussion of the evils of prostitution and ladyboys - the moral minority on this board are nothing if not consistent in their zeal.

It only degenerated when "Thongkorn" tried to justify lazy prostitutes. The thread was about Thai woman, ie normal, regular woman , not hookers. Now back on topic please.

Its not a mystery the hooker s come from mainly places like issan. Its certainly not because the girls are lazy-more like they dont see any other way out.

I bet the majority of girls got phones that are shit. The majority arent making a whole lot of coin.

No surprises that a thread designed to acknowledge the contribution of women to Thai society rapidly degenerated into a discussion of the evils of prostitution and ladyboys - the moral minority on this board are nothing if not consistent in their zeal.

It only degenerated when "Thongkorn" tried to justify lazy prostitutes. The thread was about Thai woman, ie normal, regular woman , not hookers. Now back on topic please.

Obviously you know nothing about Thai women, only the poor ones you abuse, No i did not degenerate this topic you have with your twisted perverted views about poor Thai Girls, Your Name Munger says it all,

Edited by Thongkorn

i agree op i really do

Choochoo:

All I'm asking is, look into your heart. You might be surprised by what you find.

Hmmm... i looked into my own heart.......i was surprised of what i found.

Exploitation you refer too.....where does it start....believe me that it aint coming from the mama sans who run the bar.

It seems that by enjoying the bar scene in the past and hopefully happy in your relationship now, your rose coloured glasses are coming back. The side of make belief can be comforting but usually is deceptive. They do that job because their own families pressure them, softly, to make money for the family...obligations...structure of their way of ...hmm...thinking. Usually it is the most beautiful woman of the family who works in the barscene.....Another poster mentioned easy money, lazyness.....yes.....they are away from the constraints of the village and leading a holidaylife in the touristresorts along the coast.

Yes most of them have a heart but after a couple of months, if not taken out of the scene, usually it becomes a black money heart. We are brought up, the good guys, like you too IMO, with compassion. The thais, related to those girls, in general have not. Money money.....but all those girls are adults...thus, make the choice to start and continue in the business. With very few winners at the end.

i agree op i really do

Choochoo:

Hmmm... i looked into my own heart.......i was surprised of what i found.

Exploitation you refer too.....where does it start....believe me that it aint coming from the mama sans who run the bar.

It seems that by enjoying the bar scene in the past and hopefully happy in your relationship now, your rose coloured glasses are coming back. The side of make belief can be comforting but usually is deceptive. They do that job because their own families pressure them, softly, to make money for the family...obligations...structure of their way of ...hmm...thinking. Usually it is the most beautiful woman of the family who works in the barscene.....Another poster mentioned easy money, lazyness.....yes.....they are away from the constraints of the village and leading a holidaylife in the touristresorts along the coast.

Yes most of them have a heart but after a couple of months, if not taken out of the scene, usually it becomes a black money heart. We are brought up, the good guys, like you too IMO, with compassion. The thais, related to those girls, in general have not. Money money.....but all those girls are adults...thus, make the choice to start and continue in the business. With very few winners at the end.

thats a load of bs

• Like 1

Most in the NE are lazy...that was told to me by a Thai.

It's surely hundreds of factors all rolled into one relatively (and by no means absolutely) lazy rotee. Generations of living in a relatively non hostile environment plush with food resources probably is one factor. And yes, you can see this kind of behavior all over the planet, even in the first world (if Thai rivers laden with fish and harvests never ravaged by disease in ages has created some sluggish attitudes... you can bet gov't handouts are creating some lazy folks as well), nothing hateful about it.

Another big one, and it's not Thai specific... although I'm sure most folks here can see it everyday, perhaps in people close to them, and perhaps in their own selves... too many people choose to covet, to not delay gratification BEFORE bringing their earning abilities or WORK ETHIC up to speed. So they are not only 'not developing' themselves, they are also bleeding themselves dry at the same time.

Edited by Heng

I met two bar girls when I got to Thailand at 22 years of age. Now 45 years later I still know them and they are still working in a bar. They both have children who have gone to college and are married. I don't think they are the rule but they do exist.

It's surely hundreds of factors all rolled into one relatively (and by no means absolutely) lazy rotee. Generations of living in a relatively non hostile environment plush with food resources probably is one factor. And yes, you can see this kind of behavior all over the planet, even in the first world (if Thai rivers laden with fish and harvests never ravaged by disease in ages has created some sluggish attitudes... you can bet gov't handouts are creating some lazy folks as well), nothing hateful about it.

Another big one, and it's not Thai specific... although I'm sure most folks here can see it everyday, perhaps in people close to them, and perhaps in their own selves... too many people choose to covet, to not delay gratification BEFORE bringing their earning abilities or WORK ETHIC up to speed. So they are not only 'not developing' themselves, they are also bleeding themselves dry at the same time.

isaan was not flush with food in many villages just a few decades ago

isaan was not flush with food in many villages just a few decades ago

Not Confucian or Ashkenazi Jewish flush (where you take what is superfluous and go into trade)... but Issan flush where there was never any danger of starving, because every other plant is a salad bar item, and there are all kinds of living things all around that are edible... no chance of going hungry even in the far distant future (tomorrow), which they were more than willing to take advantage of and heavily invest this wealth into more time to drink, playing tokraw, strumming guitars, swinging from hammocks, and hanging out.

Edited by Heng