Would Ebola Make You Leave Chiang Mai

uptheos

OK, so it's a Sunday hypothesis and I'm not 100% convinced we would hear about it, if it did.

BUT IF there ever was a confirmed case reported in Chiang Mai, what would be your (honest) response?

Let's assume the carrier had unknown contacts for a while.

Stranger things have happened.

• Like 1

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If allowed to leave I would go to a more sanitary environment.

Even if it was getting close I would bug out for a while.

Short of that it might make sense to start stockpiling water, food and other supplies to hunker down in my room to allow it to burn out.

Sound answer CSN.

I guess if single it wouldn't be too much of a problem, but I wonder how families might react?

Not sure why this question should be limited to Chiang Mai.

If it makes it there, it's in Thailand ...

It seems likely it will make it here so the question is how will this country DEAL with it.

Just happened to be in the Chiang Mai thread as I'm here, but you're quite right and if it pops up after pressing new content I welcome posts from anyone, anywhere

An interesting question, my answer has to be no. My plan from New Year onwards is to spend six months in Thailand and six months in the UK, I think I might curtail the UK part of things, if the situation worsens, simply because I wouldn't want to traverse airports/flights/major cities etc. Despite words of reassurance from the authorities in various countries, this doesn't look like it's going to end quickly, I hope I am wrong.

I'm in denial about this.

I think it will probably come here and the government is likely to do very freaky things in response.

Not that I exactly would blame them.

The measures to screen people at airports are just theater ... they don't work for this disease.

So if it comes to Thailand ... that means for most of us it's stay here or home country.

Viruses don't respect wealthy countries any more than poorer ones.

You may have better access to health care in your home country if infected ... there is no proven treatment yet ... but being taken care of well can increase chances.

So from a pure survival POV, it would probably be logical to leave if it starts here.

But people are usually not so logical.

Of course it's not only the risk of being infected ... but what life would be live anywhere in the case of a major outbreak.

Things would need to be different and definitely at very least ... less fun (to put it mildly).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

BTW, in many ways, this threat is really worse than HIV.

Talking about so many HEALTH WORKERS getting infected with Ebola.

When HIV started big, health workers were understandably afraid and even hysterical, but it turns out the risk was very small, basically down to accidentally needle sharing accidents. Then they learned this and health workers calmed down.

Right now, health workers have every rational reason NOT to be calmed down about treating Ebola patients.

• Like 1

Absolutely agreed JT, I was amazed the analogy was even made, it's a totally different ballgame.

EDIT: BTW if you haven't seen it, a second case has been confirmed in Texas.

Edited by chiang mai

I know JT said it shouldn't be confined to Chiang Mai and I agree.

However, IF it were just Chiang Mai and you decided to get out, would you stay in Thailand or get out of the country altogether.

Edited by uptheos

Excellent documentary running on BBC about the virus if you haven't already seen it.

BBC 1 - 2, World News? BBC Radio?

Dates please as I have catch up TV for 7 days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/n3csxhgk

It's not clear to me but I guess it would be on again tonight at 22:00? (GMT +7). I saw it this morning. Excellent.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 2

Never going to happen.

Thais have it all under control since August...that's why we have had no cases smile.png Have a bit of faith fellas.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4364

Passengers Screened at Chiang Mai Airport Aug 20, 2014

Environment

CityNews – Passengers from abroad will now be screened for the Ebola virus upon arrival at Chiang Mai airport.

Remember we did have that small outbreak at Downtown Inn and how quickly that was patched over up.

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 1

Never going to happen.

Thais have it all under control since August...that's why we have had no cases smile.png Have a bit of faith fellas.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4364

Passengers Screened at Chiang Mai Airport Aug 20, 2014

Environment

CityNews – Passengers from abroad will now be screened for the Ebola virus upon arrival at Chiang Mai airport.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic. But no. Such screening is ineffective. People infected won't always have fever upon arrival. You are describing security theater, not REAL security. Meant to make people feel better and not to PANIC. That's all.

Of course if the virus does make it to Thailand (given the travel from Africa here, seems probable) then be ready and EXPECT really radical government policies about travel here. Not that they will help but again as a way of doing SOMETHING.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-ebola/2014/10/10/6daf70de-4ffe-11e4-babe-e91da079cb8a_story.html

Many nations have banned flights from other countries in recent years in hopes of blocking the entry of viruses, including SARS and H1N1 “swine flu.” None of the bans were effective, and the viruses gained entry to populations regardless of what radical measures governments took to keep them out.
Edited by Jingthing

Someone sitting not to far from me, seems to think that as they are screening then we are quite safe and of course they must not let in any 'black people' sad.png

It would not surprise me at all if that kind of thing happens here ... not so much black people as travel from Africa, in case it starts here, which realistically, it might.

Forgetting the racist implications, it's actually understandable that people would think that way. Would it work is another question.

Edited by Jingthing

Someone sitting not to far from me, seems to think that as they are screening then we are quite safe and of course they must not let in any 'black people' sad.png

It would not surprise me at all if that kind of thing happens here ... not so much black people as travel from Africa, in case it starts here, which realistically, it might.

This is a fairly well educated person too.

Everything so simplistic Thai's screening = safety, Black people = danger. facepalm.gif

I don't think much distinction is made between African's and black people

There's just shades of black.

• Like 2

Everything so simplistic Thai's screening = safety, Black people = danger. facepalm.gif

Well as you have gone there, and yes, what you are describing should not surprise anyone who has lived in Thailand, I guess perhaps Americans might be concerned as well. The USA is associated with black culture, has a black president ... who knows how far irrational policies could go?

Well as you have gone there, and yes, what you are describing should not surprise anyone who has lived in Thailand, I guess perhaps Americans might be concerned as well. The USA is associated with black culture, has a black president ... who knows how far irrational policies could go?

Yeah, didn't really want to go there, just happened to be a local thing.

More interested in what people would do if it arrived in Chiang Mai? It's not impossible

Edited by uptheos