Buriram or surin for over nighter?

samran

Near Surin (Well about 50km north) there's an elephant village which has elephant shows etc. Baan Chang is the name of it I think.
Near Burriram (Well about 90km away) there are the best Khmer ruins in Thailand (Not as good as Angkor Wat, but the best in Thailand). Phnom Rung I think it's called, but don't quote me on that.

Otherwise, as far as the cities go, I've been out in both, albeit only briefly (1 night in each with some friends, none of us knew anything about the town), and don't know if I'd pick one above the other at all. However in both we went out to a nice restaurant and then out for a few beers at the bars/clubs afterwards, all of us had a good time in both cities.

Surin also has an annual Elephant round up / festival around this time of year, although I think it might have just passed already I'm not sure. Burriram also has a pretty good football team, so if they're playing at home while you're there, it might be worthwhile checking out a game. I think they also have a car racing track in Burriram now too, or are building one (I can't remember, I only briefly read news about other provinces lol).

• Like 1

The Surin elephant round up is 14 - 16 November.

The Chang International circuit is indeed now open. Rce calendar here:- http://www.bric.co.th/home/default.aspx

Buriram United have 2 remaining home games this season: 25th October vs Chainat and 2 November vs Police United.

What are you looking for in terms of accommodation/restaurants/entertainment ?

Khao Panum Rung is the biggest tourist attraction in the area:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phanom_Rung_Historical_Park

How long in Siem Reap ?

Edited by Jip99

Thanks for that. Seems like there is plenty to do though might not get much of a chance to do much. Will likely get there late afternoon and leave early morning ish.

Headed over early December, looking to do the Angkor 10km run so only will be there for a day or two.

Thanks for that. Seems like there is plenty to do though might not get much of a chance to do much. Will likely get there late afternoon and leave early morning ish.

Headed over early December, looking to do the Angkor 10km run so only will be there for a day or two.

So, what you are actually asking about is nightlife type recreation?

No elephant rides in the dark!

Soi Kola Surin.w00t.gif Dusk to dawn..whistling.gif

Thanks for the tip. :)

Really just trying to figure out which has the best hotels for an overnight stay ;)

Thanks for the tip. smile.png

Really just trying to figure out which has the best hotels for an overnight stay wink.png

The Surin Majestic by the bus station and your only about 3 block from Soi Kola.

http://www.surinmajestic.com/contact.html

• Like 2

Dusk till Dawn had vampires in it, didn't it?
  • Like 1

Buriram city now has many top class hotels. The Amari at the football stadium is the best known but other good Western quality hotels are the Best Western, Mamaison and Phanomrunpuri.

My favourite however is here - http://www.agoda.com/en-gb/thada-chateau-hotel/hotel/buriram-th.html?asq=bs17wTmKLORqTfZUfjFABubdK99VRIP5leFuOrjiUNJNy3JjOMTnxemC%2bjH%2f55FTSXdb97ssmsWZCSq85ZAgaGfsQkmf%2bXj785MH999fcO5KzguvS7BEWSY41qNdWAwZpgSU8AP%2fr9Ig6Tjfuh7JfusJzwGW08rFi4oQttyCy64gdmsftt7v%2bG618IscFk0EiHcEDczDufmZnRuBq1jxC%2bL2AUnfOhFRTEDVteJxPyI%3d

To pass the evening theres plenty of restaurants, a cinema, shopping mall and bars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phanom_Rung_Historical_Park is well worth seeing also.

Dusk till Dawn had vampires in it, didn't it?

Have you checked out Soi K recently?

Boo Lee Lam rue Soo Lin, what a choice, answer, neither, they are both as un-intersting dumps with nothing to offer.

If you want to stock up on farang food, head of the 24 at Prasa®t and stock up in Staffords.

Another poster had a great place for food (sorry, those bloody red seating stools did my head in in the morning). LOL

Boo Lee Lam rue Soo Lin, what a choice, answer, neither, they are both as un-intersting dumps with nothing to offer.

What is it they are missing you feel you get in other Thai towns? Hookers? Beaches? I find both places rather typical Thai towns and think Buriram even has a little more than that. Certainly not sure why they would be called dumps, unlike say Pattaya which you mentioned in another thread you visited recently.

OP if you are coming on a weekend the new Walking street is worth a browse and some decent bars around there also http://www.buriramtimes.com/buriram-news/88-new-walking-st-opens.html

• Like 1

Have been that way and stayed a couple nights in each town... To be honest , Surin was a bit larger and hotel was a bit nicer...

Also seemed to have a bit more options for resteraunts and also saw a bit more night life stuff going on... Although didnt partake...

Also believe it was the Surin Majestic I stayed at... Was clean and decent service.. A little bit older style, but well maintained and pretty inexpensive ...

Also in a good location, as plenty of resteraunts and nightlife and a 7-11 within walking distance from the hotel

Would also pick Surin, as a bit closer to Siam Reap, so will be a bit closer to your final destination once you wake up and are ready to go...

Of course another possible idea is to leave BKK later night with plan to hit the ruins by Burriam for half day then on to Surin to crash at hotel

What is it they are missing you feel you get in other Thai towns? Hookers? Beaches? I find both places rather typical Thai towns and think Buriram even has a little more than that. Certainly not sure why they would be called dumps, unlike say Pattaya which you mentioned in another thread you visited recently.

OP if you are coming on a weekend the new Walking street is worth a browse and some decent bars around there also http://www.buriramtimes.com/buriram-news/88-new-walking-st-opens.html

Your post deserves a reply.

Personally IMHO, they are both typical Thai provincial towns, there are much better towns IMHO in Issan.

Thunder Castle on an Asain Cup night is well worth a visit, aand has probably the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at a football game in Thailand.

Boring, flat dusty and hot, is how I could best desribe the area.

As for Pattaya, I concur, I went to visit friends who were visiting, play golf, eat farang food, drink farang beer and listen to live music, personally I prefer Bang Saen.

I dont know which way the OP will drive, probably Sara Buri (now there is probably the most boring uninspiring one buffalo town in Thailand) Pak Chong, then turn off onto the 24.

I would rather head up that way on the 304 via Chachoengsao and up the back of Khao Yai to Pak Tong Chai, then hang a right at the traffic lights onto the 24.

A journey I have made several times is Bkk to Chan, then head north, time will dictate how much time the OP has available.

IMHO, its fair to say, Boo Lee Lam and Soo Lin will never be in the top 10 of must visit towns in the country, the 24 will never make it to the top 50 of must drive roads.

As for hookers, I wont waste my time replying, the post would be deleted, or I would be accused of being anti the area.

Heck even my Thai friends from Surin laugh and joke about what a dump it is, some dont even bother going home for Song Kran or New Year, preferring to stay in Bkk.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip. smile.png

Really just trying to figure out which has the best hotels for an overnight stay wink.png

IMO the Amari in Buriram would win the hotel competition against anything in Surin.

Personally, I prefer Buriram to Surin although the latter is indeed nearer to Chong Chom.

Soi Kola is a <deleted> hole as is Mucky Street in Buriram.

Google directions will sort you out but I would also seek to avoid the 24. I don't like the 2 or the 1 so I mainly travel via Chachoengsao taking the 359/33/348/218 via Wattana Nakhon, Non Din Dang, Nang Rong.

• Like 2

As your only talking about a stop-over why don't you pass on both places and stay nearer to the Chon Chom crossing at Ryan's Resort, Prasat? Lovely small resort with good Thai & Farang food.

Good call....

I saw that place on Agoda. So you'd recommend it?

Your post deserves a reply.

Personally IMHO, they are both typical Thai provincial towns, there are much better towns IMHO in Issan.

Thunder Castle on an Asain Cup night is well worth a visit, aand has probably the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at a football game in Thailand.

Boring, flat dusty and hot, is how I could best desribe the area.

As for Pattaya, I concur, I went to visit friends who were visiting, play golf, eat farang food, drink farang beer and listen to live music, personally I prefer Bang Saen.

I dont know which way the OP will drive, probably Sara Buri (now there is probably the most boring uninspiring one buffalo town in Thailand) Pak Chong, then turn off onto the 24.

I would rather head up that way on the 304 via Chachoengsao and up the back of Khao Yai to Pak Tong Chai, then hang a right at the traffic lights onto the 24.

A journey I have made several times is Bkk to Chan, then head north, time will dictate how much time the OP has available.

IMHO, its fair to say, Boo Lee Lam and Soo Lin will never be in the top 10 of must visit towns in the country, the 24 will never make it to the top 50 of must drive roads.

As for hookers, I wont waste my time replying, the post would be deleted, or I would be accused of being anti the area.

Heck even my Thai friends from Surin laugh and joke about what a dump it is, some dont even bother going home for Song Kran or New Year, preferring to stay in Bkk.

Am going to be doing the drive with my 8 year old girl, so probably going up via Chock chai farm means I head north out of BKK then right onto 24.

304 sounds interesting, but I do want to minimise the driving, so my daughter isn't bored witless.

As your only talking about a stop-over why don't you pass on both places and stay nearer to the Chon Chom crossing at Ryan's Resort, Prasat? Lovely small resort with good Thai & Farang food.

Good call....

Yes, it's a nice clean resort with pool & gym. Sunday Roasts are very popular. Gary & Nok are great hosts.
  • Like 2

Good call....

Yes, it's a nice clean resort with pool & gym. Sunday Roasts are very popular. Gary & Nok are great hosts.

Just saw the owners needed to reload on some bacon and sausage. Best place to stay on a short visit. ryansresort. com

• 2 weeks later...

Good call....

Yep nice people Gary and Nok, nice resort with good facilities, and an 8-Ball pool table that even I never needed to get the rest out for a single shot.

• Like 1