Airport at Mukdahan

craighj

Hello all

I was in Mukdahan last week, for the week.

During my visits to family and friends I was told on a couple of occasions that an airport will be built within the next two years.

While I've seen significant investment in the town over the last few years I'm wondering if a project like this could be possible?

Anyone heard anything about an airport for Mukdahan?

Craighj

Transport Ministry to build six airports in preparation for AEC

in Business | October 5, 2014(498 views)
  • 10-5-2014-11-57-46-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg
The Transport Ministry will conduct a study for the possibility of building six more airports to link up with neighbouring countries in preparation for the Asean Economic Community (AEC), said Deputy Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisit during a seminar on Saturday.

He named the six potential airports as Betong in Yala province which will link with Malaysia and Indonesia, Mae Sot airport in Tak province to link up with Myanmar, Muk Dahan airport to link up with Laos and Vietnam, Uttradit airport , Kanchanaburi airport to link up with the Dawei project in Myanmar and Aranyaprathet airport in Sa Kaeo province to link up with Cambodia.

The study will take two months and construction is expected to commence next year if any of the projects get the nod from the government, said Mr Arkhom, adding that construction of each of the airports will take about five years.

Meanwhile, Transport Minister ACM Prajin Juntong announced that the government would go ahead with the second phase of the expansion of Suvarnabhumi international airport estimated at 62 billion baht in costs.

Also, he said that the committee to be set up to study the second phase project would, at the same time, consider the Airports of Thailand Company’s plan to build a new multi-function terminal.

The phase two expansion project for Suvarnabhumi airport includes the expansion of the passenger’s terminal, a monorail train to link the old and new terminals, new runway, 28 parking bays for planes and a car park.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/transport-ministry-build-six-airports-preparation-aec/

Edited by khwaibah

In Thailand Airports must be 25Kl from any Border with another Country, So Mukdahan is out. There have been many, On again Off again reports about Leong Nok Tah's old airstrip from the Vietnam war being opened but I think it would have to be extended somewhat to cater for big jets. Anyway it'snly a 1 hour drive to Nakhon Phanom Airport which has a reasonable service.

In Thailand Airports must be 25Kl from any Border with another Country, So Mukdahan is out. There have been many, On again Off again reports about Leong Nok Tah's old airstrip from the Vietnam war being opened but I think it would have to be extended somewhat to cater for big jets. Anyway it'snly a 1 hour drive to Nakhon Phanom Airport which has a reasonable service.

This country is under marshall law and they can do anything they want to..whistling.gif

khwaibah, on 14 Oct 2014 - 09:38, said:
DJH77, on 14 Oct 2014 - 09:34, said:

This country is under marshall law and they can do anything they want to..whistling.gif

DJH77 obviously knows Nakhon Phanom Airport which is only 16km from the Laos border.

• Like 1

All true, almost.

Anyway, given the recent development in the area one nevers knows.

It would be great to fly direct to Mukdahan, rather than a turbo prop to NP and then road or Ubon and then road.

I never thought I would see a Big C, Makro or Robinsons in Mukdahan either, but...................................

Craig

I have used Nakhon Phanom with a light aircraft and have to say like many Thai airports it has big ambitions but little or no traffic.

Savanakhet has a run down airport which is hardly used on the Laos side so where is the logic in building another white elephant in Mukdahan?

The only aircraft I ever see at a lot of these places are either military or light aircraft.

Just like the Buriram F1 track it is local political egos that get Government money to fund these places.

Edited by Jay Sata

One hour is a little optimistic, Google Maps show it as one hour and thirty seven minutes with no traffic. The few times I have gone to That Phanom, from Mukdahan it has taken about an hour.

• Like 1

One hour is a little optimistic, Google Maps show it as one hour and thirty seven minutes with no traffic. The few times I have gone to That Phanom, from Mukdahan it has taken about an hour.

An hour to That Phanom, George you must have gone by Tuk Tuk.

Last night there was a Mukdahan Chamber of Commerce Meeting in which the Airport Proposal was on the agenda. There are still some business people pushing for the Airport to be in Mukdahan. I havn't heard what the results of the discussion were as yet but when I get the info I will pass it on to you all. My big Question is where in Muk you can put an airport. Once you head inland the terrain becomes very hilly with a couple of small mountains also to be avoided. Obviously there must be a reasonably flat area somewhere but how far from the city, and don't forget the noise of the Aircraft so it's need to be a good distance out. The Lao Air flights to Savannakhet when landing usually come in heading north alone the centre of the Mekong River and make a right turn for their approach to Savannakhet Airport. No real noise problem to Mukdahan City and as we don't see much in the way of planes here it is a nice sight from my house on the rivers edge only about 1kl from their right turn.

An hour to That Phanom, George you must have gone by Tuk Tuk.

We tool today a drive from That Phanom to Mukdahan and it was 55 minutes almost an hour. It's 51km I think but we had two road blocks on the way.

I have done it a couple of times, and it has been close to an hour each time, either way, there is no way you could drive to the airport in Nakhon Phanom in an hour. I would think you would have to allow at least two hours to be safe, probably never take that long, but you don't want to miss the one flight of the day.