Bicycling on Koh Chang

kuma

Thinking of spending a week or two at year end back on Koh Chang.

Never have cycled there but thinking of taking the bikes to spin around this time.

Anyone have experience/comments about cycling on the island...on or off road?

Thanks in advance

Thinking of spending a week or two at year end back on Koh Chang.

Never have cycled there but thinking of taking the bikes to spin around this time.

Anyone have experience/comments about cycling on the island...on or off road?

Thanks in advance

It's a nice island to cycle around especially the northern side although you will need to be

fit because some of the hills are quite steep.

Mostly I cycled on road but there were off road stretches that had not yet been concreted.

Edited by Condorman

Roads aren't good for cycling on the West coast of the island, especially between Klong Son and Whitesands and Kae Bae to Bang Bao. Seems to be a few that cycle between Whitesands and Kae Bae. The East side is better, between Sapparot and Salak Phet as the roads are a bit wider and less traffic.

My problem with bike riders anywhere in Thailand is they think they are immortal, and road rules ( if any ) do not apply. I'd much rather be on a motor scooter, because at least then there is the ability to accelerate out of trouble. Good luck, think you will need it.

Hi kuma! I know the island pretty well. You want to "spin around" a bit. It's a very nice place. I like it a lot. Some of my friends don't like it at all.

It's a sort love or hate place. The roads are VERY steep uphill and downhill. If You are skiing downhill I would say it's a black pist for bikers.

Not comfortable at all. You can't relax not just because the roads but You must be aware of the cars,vans etc. I would say it's not suitable

for biking at all.If If You're not training for the olympics game smile.png But please go and have a look. Bring Your gear and see what's like.

It's beautiful! Take care and good luck!

Thanks all for the comments, pretty lopsided towards "don't be crazy, bike elsewhere" LOL.

I know only the outside edge of the island as I huddle near a beach each time I go. I agree the main roads are a no go, thought maybe there were interior roads or even trails available decent for biking, but sounds like no.

As the OP mentioned, if we rack them maybe will spend a few days spinning around en-chanthaburi...a spot we like that I agree has some decent spots to spin. Then we can go hit the island

Cheers