Thai tourism industry: 'Martial law killing arrivals'

webfact

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come On, 99% of tourists don't know there is Martial law in effect in Thailand

What effect has it had on your life in the last , say month living here in Thailand.

You will find out in minutes that your holiday destination is under martial law, but it will take hours to find out if that will affect your holiday experience and insurance coverage.

Bottom line is that scares people away, no matter if it has a real impact.

You wouldn't care to tell us how much the insurance cost has gone up because of Martial law would you. Here today October 14, 2014?

It would be nice to see the degree of validity to your statement.

My money says it has gone down since Martial law was introduced.wai.gif

Please read my comment again and find out yourself why your question does not make any sense.

Hint, it has something to do with "take hours" and "coverage" while a particular word is missing: "cost".

Its not the material law. Don't break down the tourism problems on just this!!!!

There are sooo many more things TAT and all tourist operators in Thailand have to put an eye on!

An enormous increase of crimes, no clear administation on the visa facts, no consistent punishment of offenses against tourists and long-term residentials.....and and and...

Thailand only learn the lesson when it starts to hurt them!!!!!!!!!!

Hi bob12345,

Insurance for tourists with valid tourists visas in sold and available when they arrive here in The Kingdom.

I don't know how to find out but I believe most chose not to purchase it.

Yes most if not all Travel Insurance policies have terms which do not cover the insured in case of Force Majour, Terrorists Activities, and on and on. Most don't cover you on a motorcycle also.

Myself when ever I leave The Kingdom I get Travel Insurance, it is just a prudent move and covers me also against travel delays, liability, on so on. On my last trip Out of The Kingdom, the price was the same as always for 3 days coverage, and yes Thailand had Martial law in effect at that time.

I just had my House Insurance renewed here in The Kingdom , the premium was almost the same as last year.

My Social Insurance coverage is not effected nor is my Vehicle Insurance.

Luckily for me my business does not depend on Tourism Directly so I feel little effect, but my customers do and I will feel it in the long run

Tourism is down all over the world, just look at passenger load factors from the airlines. @ airliners disapear , get shot down, Ebola, Isis, threats from all over. Thailand is not alone in the Tourist Slump.

So No It has not effected me personally, maybe I am just lucky, but yes I am concerned.

FYI: Tourism worldwide was up 5% in 2013, Asia at 6%.

Current UNWTO forecast is 4.5% for world, and 6% for Asia.

The slower world growth is mainly due to the Middle East crisis. Asia is unchanged with the strong growth in Korea and Japan making up for losses elsewhere in the region.

.. note that the only Asian country experiencing a decline is, as would be expected, Thailand.

• Like 1

saramsland certainly has a point. I doubt most tourists are really concerned about visa restrictions on long-timers or about martial law. However, the bad press on crimes directed toward tourists, tourist ripoffs, police corruption, as well as the unstable political turmoil does send a poor message on the LOS.

No, Thailand has always had a reputation for things like crime, and worse. People don't want to come anymore EXACTLY because of visa restrictions, martial law, and an unelected Military Government. That's what it is.

As I said, I doubt that.

The slower world growth is mainly due to the Middle East crisis. Asia is unchanged with the strong growth in Korea and Japan making up for losses elsewhere in the region.

.. note that the only Asian country experiencing a decline is, as would be expected, Thailand.

Yes sir -" the only" Asian country experiencing a decline is Thailand.

People, simply don't want to take their Families into a military state.

Not one that is threatening to free speech .

And the rapes and murders and constant bad press, just highlight matters.

Seeing the horrible apathy in their crime solving - lack of empathy for the victims .

And the real awareness that Thailand is plummeting into a North Korean style future rapidly.

Helplessly.

The propaganda and daily doses of what is a very loose excuse for affairs of state.

Simply put, people are heading off in droves," elsewhere" Thailand is no longer on their radar.

Left to the Indians and east Europeans -

Its sun is setting.

All indications are that its, financial position will painfully continue to support that assertion.

But the world beating rhetoric from the state , will just clarify even further to onlookers how out of reality the place is- not to mention increasingly unpredictably dangerous.

Edited by Fred Flinstone

Thai martial law must have hit Singapore toowhistling.gif .

In the first half of 2014, there was a 30% drop in Chinese tourists, and a 3% percent drop of tourists overall.

Taking into account that around 20% of all tourists coming to Thailand are Chinese. Do the math Fred and co.

Edited by Nickymaster

Yes sir -" the only" Asian country experiencing a decline is Thailand.

People, simply don't want to take their Families into a military state.

Not one that is threatening to free speech .

And the rapes and murders and constant bad press, just highlight matters.

Seeing the horrible apathy in their crime solving - lack of empathy for the victims .

And the real awareness that Thailand is plummeting into a North Korean style future rapidly.

Helplessly.

The propaganda and daily doses of what is a very loose excuse for affairs of state.

Simply put, people are heading off in droves," elsewhere" Thailand is no longer on their radar.

Left to the Indians and east Europeans -

Its sun is setting.

All indications are that its, financial position will painfully continue to support that assertion.

But the world beating rhetoric from the state , will just clarify even further to onlookers how out of reality the place is- not to mention increasingly unpredictably dangerous.

Fred Flintstone, you should stop making up stories. You are misleading people. Your post is full of.. I don't want to call it lies but..

Talking about propaganda. .. See my post above, Fred.

Edited by Nickymaster

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/768451-some-figures-re-visa-runs/

Above is from Sponsor of TV who states their visa run business is down 50---80 per cent and they take into account other visa run companies in BKK. Many used visa exempt runs to stay on long vacations here, some got non-o then retiremnt extensions when the crackdown started but many were not over 50 yo , married to Thai or had a business so simply left. I think if you watch over the next year you will see how low the tourist level coming to Thailand is for numerous reasons, Koh TAo murders, jet ski scams, martial law ,higher prices, and more friendly reception at near-by countries.

No matter what a military run Government says Farangs don't like the idea of visiting a place where the leader is not bound by any laws, or constitution and can change rules as they see fit at any moment.

It will be much worse if the police and government don't do the right thing on the Koh Tao investigation. If they proceed down the present course, tourists will have a good chance of having a drink sitting next to a murdering rapist as they will still be on the loose.

They did not do the right thing. Period. Nothing more to discuss, really. They had a great opportunity to demonstrate to all of us how sincere they were, about going after corrupt individuals at the high levels. They did not.

Edited by spidermike007

Tourism in Thailand is going to keep going up. As always there is going to be occasional yearly dips be it Political, Tsunami or Sars but last year still saw almost 3 times the number of arrivals than 10 Years ago. Tourism makes up about 9% of GDP and near 30% of this is from domestic tourism. While numbers dropped earlier this year, I would not expect much if any of a drop the rest of the year making foreign tourism down just a couple percentage points over the record high previous year. For sure the sky is not falling nor is tourism dying in Thailand as so many here have been predicting for at least the last 10 years.

The thing that will hit tourism the hardest in the coming years is modernization. Many people come to Thailand because it offers a glimpse into the past and is an adventure and cheap. Much of this is going away fairly rapidly. Be it police, Taxis, hotels, night life and so on, as laws and higher standards are enforced then costs and freedoms you can't experience at home will be less attractive. I expect neighboring countries will continue to steal these types of tourists away as Thailand continues to try to move toward more quality (higher spending) tourists while trying not to completely forget the nightlife and backpacking crowd.

You might be right buy the inbound numbers to Bangkok looks horrible and Bangkok needs that inbound numbers otherwise a lof of people will loose their jobs.

Thai martial law must have hit Singapore toowhistling.gif .

In the first half of 2014, there was a 30% drop in Chinese tourists, and a 3% percent drop of tourists overall.

Taking into account that around 20% of all tourists coming to Thailand are Chinese. Do the math Fred and co.

Singapore has a drop by 3% overall but Thailand is way off the road by between 15-20%.

After the peak season a lot of Thais will loose their jobs. 3^ is still acceptable but 15-20% is very much above the line.

they forgot to add the visa crackdown for long term tourists ...which is one of the reasons like it or not

OMG, Thailand will go bankrupt without the pitances these foreigners spend here ... these visa runners are law dodgers living on the margin and thus not really what the nation will benefit from having. Get more Thai Elite Card members and sweep the other trash on out.

Very confusing post here - the foreigners you want out sound closer to Buddhists than the 'elite' card holders who spend 500k to get a tourist visa.

No questions are asked where the money originates, so it is an open door to any criminal types - as long as they cough up 500k...

As this (supposedly) is a Buddhist country, I do not understand your wanting to live here?

Understand my confusion?