Germany 'ready to share EU lessons as Asean integrates'

webfact

Germany 'ready to share EU lessons as Asean integrates'
Erich Parpart
The Nation

30245410-01_big.jpg
Rolf Schulze, the German ambassador to Thailand, speaks at a press conference yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- The success of regional cooperation takes time while investment in renewable energy and education is the name of the game when comes to sustainable development, and Germany is preparing to share its experiences with these issues, Rolf Schulze, the German ambassador to Thailand, said yesterday.

"One lesson learned from the European Union is that integration and closer international cooperation are a step-by-step process. It's a process that does not come overnight. It's a process with learning by doing, and it's give and take," he said regarding the launch of the Asean Economic Community (AEC) next year.

"In a region like Asean or the European Union, it's like in a family, where you have to accommodate the interests of all participants. No country can go at it alone and think that because we are big and we are wealthy, we can tell our friends which road to take," he said.

Schulze said economic and trade cooperation could serve as an avenue for peace and stability in the region, as seen in the success of the EU, but development in this region from the opening of the AEC would not be rapid.

"At the end of 2015 there will be a common space with free movement of goods, services, persons, and finances within Asean, but it will not be a big-bang development and not all the liberties will be implemented overnight. It will rather be more of a phasing in of various categories, precisely the way we know it from the Europe Union, since the CLMV [Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam] countries will need more time to adapt to this new economic space," he said.

The AEC will comprise one of the fastest-growing regions in the world, with a combined population of more than 600 million. This will be a very important development not only in economic and trade terms but also politically. The EU is willing to share with Asean the lessons it has learned, said the German ambassador.

He noted that among the European countries, Germany was the biggest contributor of funds to the Asean Secretariat in Jakarta.

Recently the country contributed another Bt122 million to new German-Thai cooperation projects for the next phase in the promotion of a low-carbon economy and the reduction of greenhouse-gas emissions, a project that started in 2009. The pledged amount from the Germany government for the overall project has now reached more than 7 million euros (Bt288 million) as part of its International Climate Initiative.

"Environmental protection is a big challenge in Asean but not in Asean alone," Schulze said.

"On one hand, Asean has very robust and strong economic development and robust industrialisation, and this of course creates a lot of environmental problems. But we are in a position to remedy some of these problems, and I think Asean countries would be well advised from the very onset to do both things hand in hand in terms of industrialisation and the protection of the environment," he said.

He noted that Thailand is a net energy importer, since it has very few energy resources of its own. Therefore to make use of renewable sources such wind, solar and biogas would be an important step, since this can lower energy costs in the long term. Germany is a good example of this approach, since 25 per cent of its energy needs are supplied by renewable sources despite being one of the biggest industrial giants in the world.

Vocational and professional training is another priority within the German-Thai cooperation projects. Germany has been in contact with Thai government agencies on the introduction of a dual-education system, which has been a success in Germany, where young students receive both classroom and on-the-job training at the same time.

Another project is a trilateral programme that aims at supporting Thailand's neighbours and narrowing the development gaps within the region.

A third agreement concerns joint projects to increase energy efficiency and reduce greenhouse-gas emissions in the land-transport sector within Asean.

Germany has contributed 2.5 million euros more for these Asean projects and has now provided about 50 million euros overall for cooperative projects in the region.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Germany-ready-to-share-EU-lessons-as-Asean-integra-30245410.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-14

Germany being the main driving force of the EU would do well to get its own house in order before offering advice to ASEAN, the useless Euro being the most obvious of things not to follow. 18 years of EU accounts not being signed off because of corruption sends out the right message to some!

Well the UK is only giving a small part compared to the other spender in the EU. Even Italy is paying more ... Since 1985 the UK is getting huge discounts. Some reason why I think they should change it or kick them out.

That process is called negotiation. I doubt Italy contributes more in reality. You need to check their claw backs and this is another country famous for accounting irregularities and scandal.

France has its inefficient farming and agriculture, Germany carries the Euro etc. Each country has pros and cons,

Sweden is free to leave anytime - it won't be missed.

Interesting how this comes across.

All the anti-bribery laws flying around in Europe. Yet this speech seems to keep reminding how much you get from Germany, more money that the others, ,,,,,,,,,,

Maybe that wasn't the intention, or it's a bad translation. Or maybe it was a timely reminder that Germany provides all this cash, not the EU. Just to avoid any confusion.

Well the UK is only giving a small part compared to the other spender in the EU. Even Italy is paying more ... Since 1985 the UK is getting huge discounts. Some reason why I think they should change it or kick them out.

That process is called negotiation. I doubt Italy contributes more in reality. You need to check their claw backs and this is another country famous for accounting irregularities and scandal.

France has its inefficient farming and agriculture, Germany carries the Euro etc. Each country has pros and cons,

Well at least my country isn't just picking the raisins from the cake. Sweden is integrated into the EU. For example why to the hell I need to show my passport when I enter the island? When you want the EU there should be no two class system.

Well at least my country isn't just picking the raisins from the cake. Sweden is integrated into the EU. For example why to the hell I need to show my passport when I enter the island? When you want the EU there should be no two class system.

Because Britain elected not to join the Schengen agreement. Which it is free to do. Notice some Schengen members like Italy and France are now expressing concerns about the lack of inherent security, this freedom of movement brings. A good idea, but has side effects. Maybe Britain was wise.

This is not EU. Sweden's wealthier neighbor Norway has joined Schengen but is not an EU member, like Switzerland.

Separate things.

Sweden keeps some of its strange laws, and that's fine. A one class system would mean changing them.

• Like 1

Nice idea. These other countries have massive farming communities to receive the CAP. The UK doesn't

Fair is fair.

Germany, Germany, you're already dictating terms (giving out orders) to the European countries that need bail-out loans. Yes, we all know that you're handing out LOANS and not gifts of cash, and those who recieve your loans must salute you and obey your commands.

Is it your intention to take over Thailand as well ?? Actually, Thailand don't really need you. A stack of Chinese money is already ear-marked to finance infra-structure projects in Thailand. If you want to compete against China in funding and carrying out these projects, fine, I think the Thais will take your money as well as Chinese money.

And the Thais, no, they don't regard Chinese money as 'money for taking over Thailand' and they don't regard German advice as 'free and educational advice from a giving and generous nation'.

• Like 1

Because Britain elected not to join the Schengen agreement. Which it is free to do. Notice some Schengen members like Italy and France are now expressing concerns about the lack of inherent security, this freedom of movement brings. A good idea, but has side effects. Maybe Britain was wise.

This is not EU. Sweden's wealthier neighbor Norway has joined Schengen but is not an EU member, like Switzerland.

Separate things.

Sweden keeps some of its strange laws, and that's fine. A one class system would mean changing them.

What kind of strange laws you exactly mean? I know that Schengen is not directly related to the EU. But it's one sign that the UK play there own game. And security wise? Well I think the UK have the highest internal security risk ... Sadly. So maybe it's a benefit that you control the people who try to left the island. Maybe a benefit!

Btw. without the EU subsidies I think it could be hard for Scottish farmers or?

Edited by arnestockholm