Will I be able to come back to Thailand using an Emergency Travel Document (ETD)?

Has anyone travelled using an ETD? and come back to Thailand?
Currently I am on Ed Visa, travel will be during the first immigration extension. but the passport will not be usable for international travel, since it would have been sent for renewal.

1. will I be able to come back to Thailand using an ETD? I will be going to Sri Lanka (According to FCO, Sri Lanka, allow travel to and from using an ETD).

2. What will happen to my current Ed Visa (extension)? if the Thai immigration allow me me come back, the will that be on a 30 day on arrival stamp? or will my Ed visa still be valid (of course I will take a reEntry permit, if that's possible on an ETD)?

3. Can I apply for and receive an ETD from the British Embassy in Chiang Mai?

Thanks in advance for any experience or advice you might be able to share.
Best regards,
Jack

If you get the ETD in Thailand, you will need to visit immigration to get the details transferred to the ETD and at that time also apply for a re-entry permit.

Check with consulate about the possibility to receive an ETD there.

UK-passport is not send for renewal, a copy is.

• Like 1

Providing your itinerary in applying for your ETD included returning to Thailand then you will be allowed to return on that document. Your ED visa will not be cancelled providing you apply for a re-entry visa before you leave Thailand. This can be done at the local immigration office and will be put in your passport. You cannot apply for an initial ED Visa in Thailand. It has to be applied for outside the country. You can only apply for your extension of 3 months for up to 1 year at your local immigration office.

Edited by Holly1956
  • Like 1

I beleive that an Emergency Travel Document only allows you to fly to your home country. In this case the UK. It will only be issued on presentation of a police report stating that you have lost your British passport.

That totally depends on the country and the situation.

After making a passport application I unexpectedly needed to travel to Vietnam during the period my passport had (apparently) been electronically cancelled. A Thai immigration officer advised me that they would have no way of knowing that and to them it is still a valid travel document. So I made the trip and there were no problems.

I beleive that an Emergency Travel Document only allows you to fly to your home country. In this case the UK. It will only be issued on presentation of a police report stating that you have lost your British passport.

I believe this is correct and I know for sure passport control keep your ETD when you arrive in the UK, because they kept mine It cost £80 about 5 years ago

After making a passport application I unexpectedly needed to travel to Vietnam during the period my passport had (apparently) been electronically cancelled. A Thai immigration officer advised me that they would have no way of knowing that and to them it is still a valid travel document. So I made the trip and there were no problems.

If you can prove you are resident in Thailand then yes you can get the ETD for a return journey to Thailand.

HMPO Web site: What an emergency travel document does

An emergency travel document allows you to leave the country you’re in and travel to your destination via a maximum of 5 countries.

The emergency travel document can also cover a return journey if you’re resident in the country you’re applying from.

British Embassy Check List for ETD application:

a. There is no appointment for Emergency Travel Document (ETD).
b. Kindly to confirm which country you plan to travel to as an ETD doesn’t allow using in some countries and requiring for a visa.
c. ETD Requirement:
1. A completed ETD application form which you can download from www.gov.uk/world/thailand.
2. 2 recent identical photographs
3. Flight itinerary/ e-ticket confirmation
4. Fee THB 5,320
5. Receipt to proof for renewal passport
6. Proof of address in Thailand in case that you use the ETD as two ways documents and return to Thailand

I believe this is correct and I know for sure passport control keep your ETD when you arrive in the UK, because they kept mine It cost £80 about 5 years ago

I travelled BKK-EDI-BKK on an ETD in June. The details of the trip were posted at the time in the long-running Changes To British Passport Applications thread. I still had my original passport in my possession (it was full).