Help! Surround Formats & Settings / Torrent Movies & Amp.?

moonseeker

Just can't figure it out myself and would very much appreciate a lecture on this subject.

Hardware: Sheerwood R-807 AMP with Klipsch 5.1. speaker set-up. Lenovo Y570 setup to match 5.1. Surround sound/movies.

http://www.sherwood-av.com.au/wp-content/uploads/manuals/Sherwood-R807-Manual.pdf

1. I seem to find the best choice of movies in DTS 5.1 format on torrents. What would the correct setting on the AMP be to play those surround movies? the AMP shows me Pro Logic & Pro Logic II and the NEO 6-Movie (Music/Game). more detail on page 26 in manual link above.

2. What would be the ideal format to download that I can play in my system?

Thank you for any hints how to understand all this. MS>

It should only give you DTS options if it sees DTS audio - so that means it's probably not getting that.

Are you sending the audio from your PC/media player using optical/coaxial digital cables, or over HDMI? Any of the digital surround formats (Dolby Digital/DTS) will be lost if you send the signal to the AVR over analogue interconnects.

Is the sound card in your PC/MediaPlayer able to support Dolby/DTS and/or be configured to output the raw audio stream over digital audio or HDMI?

Once you have it setup correctly, according to the manual, any DTS source audio should result in you only being able to select DTS * surround modes. The surround modes you're seeing are the simulated ones available for vanilla stereo audio streams.

Thank you so much IMHO. Now i understand why I see only few of the possible settings....I use DTS movies and VLC player shows audio as being DTS 5.1, but then I am clearly not getting the DTS possible settings and mediocre surround. Laptop is configured for 5.1. and tests show/sound correct. Now I must try to find out about soundcard in laptop. Great you got me on track here. I was totally confused. Any help much appreciated. Have a nice day. MS>

It should only give you DTS options if it sees DTS audio - so that means it's probably not getting that.

Are you sending the audio from your PC/media player using optical/coaxial digital cables, or over HDMI? Any of the digital surround formats (Dolby Digital/DTS) will be lost if you send the signal to the AVR over analogue interconnects.

Is the sound card in your PC/MediaPlayer able to support Dolby/DTS and/or be configured to output the raw audio stream over digital audio or HDMI?

Once you have it setup correctly, according to the manual, any DTS source audio should result in you only being able to select DTS * surround modes. The surround modes you're seeing are the simulated ones available for vanilla stereo audio streams.

I think I have just made a big step only thanks to your great feedback:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/5-1-surround-sound-dd-and-dts-from-laptop-to-av-receiver-step-by-step-guide.1279148/

I am going out via HDMI, but did not realize I had to change to Digital Output. Will test now and let you know.

Thanks again, you made my day! If it works or not... wai2.gif MS>

Thank you all. This has become one of the most difficult problems to figure out ever. Even the local computer wizards could not help me. But after 18 hours of not giving up, I came across this great link below in German / Translate in Google. The little point that was not mentioned in any of the manuals and instructions and forums: The AVR needs to be looked at as a monitor and in "resolution" settings detected and "duplicated" in the laptop. Also the steps for HDMI setup shown in the link need to be followed exactly. I use and configured VLC Player.

Got now my 2 systems setup perfectly and getting great DTS 5.1. surround, as good as from any original DVD. So happy.

http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1249167

Thank you again for your help and enjoy your weekend. MS>

• Like 1