Second round of Thai vegetarian festival not active

webfact

Second round of vegetarian festival not active

10-17-2014-9-46-01-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The University of Thai Chamber of Commerce says only 10% of vegetarians will observe the second round of vegetarian festival starting October 24, while spending will also dramatically fall to nine billion baht from 41 billion in the first round.

UTCC said the survey taken on the predicted spending during the second vegetarian festival for 2014, from October 24 to November 1.

It revealed that spending by vegetarians will drop by 17.5 percent from the first round of festival to an average of 7,258 baht per person.

Meanwhile, the total revenues generated during this second round of festival would stand at only 9.978 billion baht, a huge decline from the income of 41.989 billion baht during the first vegetarian festival.

The survey attributed the decrease to the lower number of vegetarians, which would fall to about only 10 percent from the population of vegetarians in the country, choosing to participate in the second vegetarian festival for the year.

The private think tank also estimated that economy for next year would grow by about 4-5 percent, as the government has planned to hurriedly reimburse the fiscal budget to move forward with infrastructure development projects, which would yield results in the second quarter of next year.

The Fiscal Policy Office is confident that the measures to quickly reimburse the fiscal budget would help the overall economy to expand.

World Bank economist, Miss Kirida Paopichit has also forecast that the country’s GDP for next year would grow about 3.5 percent, though the figure would also rely on the global economy.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/second-round-vegetarian-festival-active/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-17

"The survey attributed the decrease to the lower number of vegetarians, which would fall to about only 10 percent from the population of vegetarians in the country, choosing to participate in the second vegetarian festival for the year."

Perhaps the other 90% of the vegetarians are also health conscious and decided not to consume the prepared food due to their high sugar and MSG content. I went to the local festival in my town and and every dish I sampled, except for the noodle soup, was loaded with large amounts of sugar. It was more like a "Support the onset of Type 2 Diabetes Festival". Of course, there were large bowls filled with sugar to load upon the noodle soup and add if one thought that there wasn't enough sugar in the other dishes. I am not sure, but do fly droppings negate the food as being vegetarian?

Vegetarian does not necessarily mean healthy, and in the case of a country where it appears that every prepared dish is loaded with sugar and MSG, vegetarian food offers the same hazards as eating animal products. Perhaps more so since people might consume more believing they are eating healthier.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 2

x10-17-2014-9-46-01-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg.

Vegetarian food my ass. There's not even a single spoon in each tray - hence, cross-contamination from the oil-filled pans at the front. Eww... ( if you are veggie, but I'm not; yet I understand at least the requirement of such ).

If the first round generated so much revenue then how can they say that all of a sudden there are less vegetarians? The first round was only a few weeks ago!

More likely is the fact that they found animal DNA in the foods served during the first round and the true vegetarians dont want to be scammed into being served meat byproducts in their vegetarian meals.

What a farce!

There is no logic at all in what you say. True vegetarians eat vegetarian food every day. What do you think they are planning to do during the festival? Starve just in case there is animal DNA in the food? The reason for the drop is that most people taking part are meat-eaters. These people don't mind eating vegetarian once a year but they don't want to do it two months running.I know Thais that almost never eat a vegetarian meal but stuck to the 10 days of being a vegetarian. Not a single one of them says they will do it this month. Once was enough for them.

• Like 1

If the first round generated so much revenue then how can they say that all of a sudden there are less vegetarians? The first round was only a few weeks ago!

More likely is the fact that they found animal DNA in the foods served during the first round and the true vegetarians dont want to be scammed into being served meat byproducts in their vegetarian meals.

What a farce!

There is no logic at all in what you say. True vegetarians eat vegetarian food every day. What do you think they are planning to do during the festival? Starve just in case there is animal DNA in the food? The reason for the drop is that most people taking part are meat-eaters. These people don't mind eating vegetarian once a year but they don't want to do it two months running.I know Thais that almost never eat a vegetarian meal but stuck to the 10 days of being a vegetarian. Not a single one of them says they will do it this month. Once was enough for them.

Nothing like a good old Macs or MBK, a new ISUZU, and sod all in the fridge. ;) Can't go hungry now can we? giggle.gif

What a farce!

What you say is true however a true vegetarian does not want to have their food laced with animal products which is what happened at the last festival.

What a farce!

What you say is true however a true vegetarian does not want to have their food laced with animal products which is what happened at the last festival.
I think what's being implied here is the number of people who choose to eat a vegetarian diet for the ten day festival will drop to 10% of the population. This number may or may not include people who maintain a vegetarian diet everyday. It's just poor editing by Thai PBS. Edited by eldragon
  • Like 1

Red kidney Beans and "Forbidden Black Rice" are two of the world's healthiest vegetarian foods.

How many Thai dishes have Red Kidney Beans?

None that I know of.

How often do Thais eat "Forbidden Rice", instead of Thai White/Jasmine rice?

Not often, although the Black Sticky rice might be related to FBR, but that desert (Black Sticky Rice with mango) is loaded with sugar.

"World Bank economist, Miss Kirida Paopichit has also forecast that the countrys GDP for next year would grow about 3.5 percent, though the figure would also rely on the global economy."

Lets hope so, because those damned part time vegetarians aren't helping.

How dare they not attend not really vegetarian festival part 2.

“The Fiscal Policy Office is confident that the measures to quickly reimburse the fiscal budget would help the overall economy to expand.”

And yet again, tax collections are down 8%-10% with a lowering of tax rates for personal and corporate incomes to come in 2015. Sure the inheritance and new property taxes might add to revenues but the former is a new tax with no previous audit and enforcement organizations in place while the latter depends on effective tax collection which has already failed both the Yingluck and Prayut administrations.

Thai imports are down, government and household debt continues to increase, and the Junta continues to doll out subsidies like water in a Songkran festival. The World Bank is probably more accurate with its 3.5% growth rate but I think it’s assuming the government will make practical and fiscally responsible business decisions which haven’t been apparent since the coup in May 2014. And then there may be worldwide events beyond the control of the Junta that could adversely affect growth as well as deliberate actions by other nations that could affect Thailand’s economic growth (ie., Western sanctions against the coup).

If the Thai economy continues to lose GDP growth beyond two fiscal years because of Junta's fiscal policies, its Rulers should consider future changes in government by means other than military coups.