Thailand agrees to British police help over murders

Lite Beer

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to look at this in a positive way and here's why

1. As i read it, Cameron and the General had a face to face, so the General looked Cameron in the eye and told him to send cops to help. This is a big deal. As other have said this gives the General one last "get out". He cam feign mock outrage at the corruption, sack Cops that were involved and appease the online outrage from his own Countrymen and give his own PR a massive boost. Has anyone ever seen the Thai people actually rise up like this before and back Farangs against their own? I appreciate once the cops have their feet on the ground that might change. That's when Kent has to step in and do his job and make sure the General is briefed that the BIB on the ground are being uncooperative.

2. If they are seen to be hampering the UK Cops that in itself will paint a big black picture to the worlds press that will no doubt be buying tickets and booking hotel rooms up as we speak

3. At a minimum this should prove the Two Burmese lads are not the killers, right now, that is the number one priority.

4. That cretin Sean. Now the UK cops are involved they can easily order an international arrest warrant if they feel he is involved more than he says.

I could prattle on but will bore you and i'll only say what others have. Make no mistake though, this is huge and due to the dynamics of the PM office and his words of making Thailand happy again, this is a great opportunity to show that he really means business about corruption.

• Like 2

I think there are several possibilities now that they have approved the UK to get (involved).

In my first I think it will be a "dog and pony show" with the UK police being given the polices (evidence?) without any real investigation done independently.

The DNA samples can already have been (hehee) mislabeled at both ends being from samples taken inside the deceased and of the 2 Burmy men.

But let's say the police are good, really good and get through the RTPs BS and find out the men are REALLY the scapegoats the world is questioning and not the killers? What then?

Do you really think the UK police will go public and destroy Thailands image along with some of its main income (tourism)? Surely not! Instead they may insist the men get off on a technicality or other such reason that does not hurt this country, Gen Prayuth, and the RTPs (hehee) image.

I think any evidence that would have shown these men are innocent will surely have been changed to enforce the polices charges against the men. Any other situation leaves too much to chance to make Thailand look bad to the rest of the World. Something Gen. Prayuth is desperately trying to stop from happening since his coup.

Also, if the police do find this is all a cover-up to hide the real killers who are influential? How will justice be brought to them?

If Thailands main culture is "saving face" and their biggest fear is "losing tourists $$) then any situation which opposes their finding now will be swept under the carpet or handled secretly so as not to hurt Thailand.

Even an independent investigation.

Edited by thesetat2013

About bl00dy time!

It remains to be seen just how much 'help' will be permitted.

Exactly. I'm sure they will only be shown as little as possible, especially the contentious material, and requests for access met with ' no have ', ' cannot ' and other suitably weak excuses.

If it doesn't go well I sincerely hope the visitors don't get bound up by diplomacy and if appropriate make it clear they were not permitted to operate as they would have liked so their report is not as comprehensive as it should be.

In any case they are not coming for "a few weeks"----- can you imagine the scramble that is now going on to get rid of anything and everything that might point to a cover up----- sorry guys but much too late

exactly where did you hear they won't be here for weeks????? Mark my words they will be here in days, sorry to deflate your opinion

the article in the daily telegraph gave that impression, i dont think it was the posters personal opinion so chances are you didnt deflate it

Edited by slygeeza

In the Telegraph article, it says this: "They could travel to the country within weeks."

How many weeks? When is the trial set for? Perhaps they are going to get here after it is all over. Too little too late comes to mind, but better than nothing.

In any case they are not coming for "a few weeks"----- can you imagine the scramble that is now going on to get rid of anything and everything that might point to a cover up----- sorry guys but much too late

Who knows where those two boys will be by then !!!!!!!

You obviously know nothing of forensic science.

It's as easy to spot tampering as it is in taking a DNA sample.

These guys can spot tampering amile away.

If the sperm sample in the bodies were removed and replaced they would know immediately

• Like 2

#86 wackybacy.

I agree there's so much room for a diplomatic incident over this and it's a big test for the PM so will international diplomacy trump Thainess, loss of face. etc.

He's already praised the BIB and indicated he will reward the investigators so if he needs to do a 180 degrees he's going to have to throw a lot of people including at very senior level to the wolves to save his own reputation.

I'd hate to guess how he will handle that other than make sure it doesn't reach that situation.

I'll drink to that.

In the Telegraph article, it says this: "They could travel to the country within weeks."

How many weeks? When is the trial set for? Perhaps they are going to get here after it is all over. Too little too late comes to mind, but better than nothing.

even though such an exercise will of course need proper preparation (time) on behalf of the british police, I still hope they will send at least one senior "watch dog" immediate, and if just to make the point VERY clear for everyone to SEE, that the time of messing is over...

OH YEAA

This is what we wanted all along, objective reached.

BIG thanks to everyone who made a fuss and helped get the word out.

For once its one up to the good guys. clap2.gif

It's not over till the fat lady sings!

You misquote.

"It ain't over 'til da fat lady sings."

That's the way the mafioso say it.

You say it like a toff.

Has anyone seen any photos of this meeting between Prayuth and Cameron. The general is desperate for international recognition at this Milan get together with loads of pics with him and the usual suspects from SE Asia. That he has had a meeting with a G7 leader yet no photos have been released speaks volumes.

• Like 1

I don't think the thai police have the brains to play this game with the British. They will shoot themselves in the foot with every answer they give, every excuse/piece of evidence they produce & they won't even know they've done it until the British inquest is complete.

i totally agree

even though the British police's role will be limited to observing they will smell a rat should there be one

one thing i have learnt about people out here is they are terrible at lying/hiding things, and hilariously they think they're good at it.

nothing hilarious about this case and the way it's been handled

• Like 1

Has anyone seen any photos of this meeting between Prayuth and Cameron. The general is desperate for international recognition at this Milan get together with loads of pics with him and the usual suspects from SE Asia. That he has had a meeting with a G7 leader yet no photos have been released speaks volumes.

Simle answer to that. it was a phone call or behind closed doors

I don't think the thai police have the brains to play this game with the British. They will shoot themselves in the foot with every answer they give, every excuse/piece of evidence they produce & they won't even know they've done it until the British inquest is complete.

i totally agree

even though the British police's role will be limited to observing they will smell a rat should there be one

one thing i have learnt about people out here is they are terrible at lying/hiding things, and hilariously they think they're good at it.

nothing hilarious about this case and the way it's been handled

Plus it will be very experienced seniou cops coming out. I'm sure Kent will have been involved in briefing them about how the BIB operate and to be ready for lies and deflection

Nothing is going to change much. UK police have no authority outside of their own country. They can only work within what Thai authorities allow. Pretty much what going to happen is Thai police will give the brits some tour, show some evidences, let them re-verify the evidences, take some of their opinions, and at the end they will agree with Thai police on most things. Case resolved. Basically just a show to satisfy interests of both sides. Nothing more than politics.

you are brain-dead, my friend... just watch... and don't bother us with your nonsense...

:-) Yes, just watch

About bl00dy time!

It remains to be seen just how much 'help' will be permitted.

Exactly. I'm sure they will only be shown as little as possible, especially the contentious material, and requests for access met with ' no have ', ' cannot ' and other suitably weak excuses.

If it doesn't go well I sincerely hope the visitors don't get bound up by diplomacy and if appropriate make it clear they were not permitted to operate as they would have liked so their report is not as comprehensive as it should be.

exactly where did you hear they won't be here for weeks????? Mark my words they will be here in days, sorry to deflate your opinion

If you read the excerpt from the British newspaper THE TELEGRAPH on Kaubangs post#13 you will see the quote "They could travel to the country within weeks"---sorry but you have not deflated my opinion----I just seem to read more than you. OK so as I say--- if anything nasty happens in the meantime it maybe the brits will cancel their team of experts holiday abroad

Pretty big deal in the scheme of things and doubtless some face lost, especially for the weak UK 'ambassador' to Thailand with his praise for the police's handling of the investigation. They'll get the runaround, no doubt, and it'll be like working with tetchy teenagers, but if the Thais do sandbag this (foregone conclusion) they could be looking at some interesting travel advisories.

You haven't been following closely enough, Kents positive remarks were fabricated by Thai officials

... and that stupid fabrication was probably the best that could have happened... how better prove to the Brits first hand how messed up they are, than publicly twist their words... the UK will NOT have been amused by that, for sure.....

• Like 1

This IS a result. Well done to General Prayut.

We have all been captured by this case it seems the truth will now come out and justice will be served for Hannah and David.

All our theories may be wrong but with an outside investigation the families will get some closure.

To all the people that will post negative comments DON'T. We got what we asked for.

There will definitely be confusion, badly translated quotes, clashes of culture,the Thai police will see a different way to investigate and hopefully this will help them with future crimes.

It should also teach us expats etc not to judge so quickly I for one am impressed I don't see this as a loss of face. Prayut Chan-o-cha is doing what he said he would do.

• Like 1

Saw on BBC that Thailand has been dealing with slavery by taking/ kidnapping men from poor countries like Bangladesh and selling them like garbage. All of Thailands secrets are going viral now. The game is over.

I bet the British cops are lied to more than a han sum man in a bar.

• Like 2