Switching from Rugby to American NFL

murga

I see that an Aussie guy is going to attempt this. I hope he is successful but it will be very tough, as the sports are totally different. NFL is very specialized and the guys at each position are the best in the world at what they do both in terms of skills, athleticism and talent. They also spend years honing this specialty before jumping into the pro ranks.

Obviously a rugby guy trying to break in is not going to go for one of the lineman positions as those positions tend to be for the massive and not necessarily mobile blockers.

Rugby players seem to be more suited for a running position as they have more generalized skills.

The best fit would seem to be on offense possibly at fullback, but the guys at the running positions in the NFL are usually world class in terms of speed and talent. There have even been several successful Olympians in the past, such as Boy Hayes, Renaldo Nehemia (sp?) etc ,and then some simply amazing athletes such as Deion Sanders. The commercial pressure to perform is also off the charts, and a few bad games can see you quickly replaced by one of the thousand upstarts waiting to jump in.

So the question is, will this guy succeed and if so at what position? It would be nice to see him make it, but I wouldn't bet on it. I am not sure if anyone has ever become a superstar in the NFL from rugby?

From Rugby League !

Many Aussies call Rugby Union, Rugby and Rugby League, League.

They also call football, soccer, which is funny because they call League, Rugby and AFL, football but you don't really play it primarily with your feet.

Sorry, I digress.

His name is Jarryd Hayne & he is very good, most people will admit.

He certainly has his work cut out for him. Others have tried to make the transition, I can't recall names ATM, but their success was fairly limited.

He will be taking a substantial pay cut to head to the USA, unless of course he is successful in which case it could be very lucrative.

Time will tell, he's a battler from rough neighbourhood and there's plenty of guts, ambition and determination in him.

Edited by neverdie

Is he a kicker? Some of those rugby kickers are pretty amazing.

If not, what is his height, weight, age, 40 speed, vertical leap, bench/squat?

I see he is a running back, and Reggie Bush is pushing him towards Detroit.

Digby Ioane seems to be interested in the NFL as well.

My guess is that he has zero chance given there is an unending supply of experienced players coming out of college.

I heard this guy on NPR last week, amazing story. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/veterans121106/daniel-rodriguez-army-veteran-serves-inspiration-clemson-tigers-teammates-college-football

A few players have gone the other way, but never made it. Quite a different game. I'm sure he will have the physical attributes and has taken more punishment in RL games than he is likely to in an NFL game. It's just that he lacks education in the sport. I think he'll be back at Parra before long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, just saw this. Don't know if the guy has played yet or not. Haven't heard of it. If he is playing anything other than punter or kicker, he's going to get killed. Rugby guys may think they're tough, but when they find out that shoulder pads and helmets are used to hit with, more than protect from, they're going to be in for a big surprise. Of course, he might have an easier time of it today. Had it been during the days of Jack Tatum and Cliff Harris, this guy would be road kill. Today's sissyfied NFL might just let him get away with it.

Sadly the NFL and the state of officiating is somewhat suspect these days...just look at the playoff now.

Well, a different game with transferable skills...not the same guys.... not the same..

American high schools, many players run both track and football...as a compliment development program.. Hence, Bob Hayes, of Dallas

Look at the project with the 49ers Christian Okoye, a discus thrower, big as heck, runs well, but does not have the feel for the game yet...projected as a linebacker...not a good fit...as this take a different mentality of aggressive posturing and skill.

Sadly, it is a novelty factor with the boys down under... The College system, produce and refine... the American Football Player. The boys down under have a tremendous disadvantage in making the switch...

Additionally, it is a national character behavior as well. Americans have a significant history in gaining yards/ lands...