Why do 7/11's close during power outages?

keestha

Have been wondering why 7/11's lock up when the power goes off. Of course they couldn't do certain things like microwaving food, but it should be doable totaling bills with a calculator which produces a slip, and put it in the computer system later. A stand alone supermarket in my area does it like that, takes time, the cashiers having to write on the slip what articles they sold, but at least customers can be served.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's harsh bertty, they're not particularly paid very well so what would you expect?

I've met some of the nicest Thai people in 7/11 shops, as I'm sure many other people would agree.

I didn't say they were not nice people. I said they were thick.

• Like 2

Most of the people I have seen working in a 7/11 wouldn't be capable of turning on a calculator let alone work out how to use it.

Someone has a chip on their shoulder against Thai people ^^

Also check out bertty Topic about -Thais taking selfies - "And it doesn't seem to matter if they are as ugly as a sack of spanners."

"Do they realize how retarded they come across as ?."

What makes you think I have a chip on my shoulder against Thai people

If I was to mention the wonderful woman who serves me in my local chippy or the wonderful fella who fixed my shoes for me, would that make you feel better?

I Guess now you are stalking me I could accuse you of having a chip on your shoulder against me.

• Like 1

Most of the people I have seen working in a 7/11 wouldn't be capable of turning on a calculator let alone work out how to use it.

Someone has a chip on their shoulder against Thai people ^^

Also check out bertty Topic about -Thais taking selfies - "And it doesn't seem to matter if they are as ugly as a sack of spanners."

"Do they realize how retarded they come across as ?."

What makes you think I have a chip on my shoulder against Thai people

If I was to mention the wonderful woman who serves me in my local chippy or the wonderful fella who fixed my shoes for me, would that make you feel better?

I Guess now you are stalking me I could accuse you of having a chip on your shoulder against me.

"If I was to mention the wonderful woman who serves me in my local chippy or the wonderful fella who fixed my shoes for me, would that make you feel better?"

How do I know that your just saying ^^ to defend yourself.

Your previous Topic and messages from the past 30 mins or so are all negative toward Thais.

It was not difficult to remember you as your previous topic was so ugly.

Defend myself against a TV poster on a thread about 7/11's.... Oh my. I need a lawyer.

• Like 2

7 eleven's get a hell more customers than your local shop sometimes it bad enough waiting in a queue even if 3 staff working and what about all the payments made with a barcode swiper (electronic)be realistic.

Edited by Brit_Doggie

They don't trust their staff.

Right - the CCTV and the cash register stop working during a power cut.

I have noticed that lately there are some appliances available that keep them working.

Think they're called UPS or something.

If they use a UPS to supply power to the CCTV and cash registers, then that would solve the problem. Not sure whether they use them though.

The last time I was in our local 7/11 and the power went out mid-afternoon the cashiers calmly closed the door and proceeded to hand-total every one's purchase and make change out of a register draw that was still open. Once the store was clear, they let in a couple people at a time to make additional purchases and then closed.

Don't know what the limit is.

Some of it back here at home is health and safety. You can't let people in case you get a sued by someone who injures themselves. Not sure if Thailand is the same though. Had to close the shop I work in here a couple times because of this. And in fairness my shop does get quite dark.

• Like 1

That's harsh bertty, they're not particularly paid very well so what would you expect?

I've met some of the nicest Thai people in 7/11 shops, as I'm sure many other people would agree.

+1...Mostly nice people I have met in 7/11's ...They seem to work hard and are always busy.
  • Like 1

What would a chain store in your home country do?

Most chain stores or supermarkets in UK have back up generators.

But having said that the reason they have back up generators is because usually it takes a long long time to restore power, whereas here in Thailand my experience (in Pattaya) is that power is restored fairly quickly