What was in the most recent SANDWICH you ate in Thailand?

Jingthing

One thing I miss about the states is their Philly Cheese Steak Sandwichlicklips.gif

If in Jomtien, you might try this place:

http://www.pastramionryethailand.com/welcome.html

Philly Cheesteak
The Real Deal. Thin sliced Ribeye cooked with green peppers and onions, then topped with our very own cheddar cheese sauce. Hands down the best in Thailand.

Yes I know, 300 baht, it had BETTER be good!

Edited by Jingthing

In about 30 minutes I will have a simple cheese and onion (or Branston pickle) sandwich with 7/11 brown bread.

The bread is an oversight as I ran out yesterday and forgot to make some last night.

I also do homemade ham, bacon, sometimes cream cheese with grated garlic and spring onion. Rarely for some reason do I make a chip butty.

Next week I can indulge myself as my 10 year old son is off to an English language camp in Penang with his Mum so I will be cooking for myself alone.

I may make either pork pies (with or without egg) or sausage rolls as I need to try to make flaky pastry.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

Well they are known for their corned beef and pastrami and I recently heard a glowing review of their Cubano. But with Philly Cheese steak the BREAD is super important if it's going to be authentic and for some reason they don't even describe the bread it's on. I'm just skeptical that anywhere in Thailand can really do the classic bread properly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheesesteak

Bread[edit]

In Philadelphia, most cheesesteak places use Amoroso or Vilotti-Pisanelli rolls; these rolls are long, soft, and slightly salted.[15] One source writes that "a proper cheesesteak consists of provolone or Cheez Whiz slathered on an Amoroso roll and stuffed with thinly shaved grilled meat,"[16] while a reader's letter to an Indianapolis magazine, lamenting the unavailability of good cheesesteaks, wrote that "the mention of the Amoroso roll brought tears to my eyes."[17] After commenting on the debates over types of cheese and "chopped steak or sliced," Risk and Insurance magazine declared "The only thing nearly everybody can agree on is that it all has to be piled onto a fresh, locally baked Amoroso roll."[18]

As far as the "Cheez Whiz" question, I won't even go there. whistling.gif

OK, I lied.

There is really something to be said for "Yuppie" Phillies with real cheese on them!

post-37101-0-81376200-1413782965_thumb.p

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Open face pork sandwich with mushroom gravy.

1zgarz5.gif Sorry, open faces are not sandwiches.sorry.gif

Thanks for playing though!

Of course an open faced sandwich is a sandwich. It is an open faced sandwich. It would not be called a sandwich if it was something else.

open–faced sandwich noun

also open–face sandwich
plural open–faced sandwiches
Learner's definition of OPEN–FACED SANDWICH
[count] US

: a piece of bread that is covered with meat, cheese, etc. : a sandwich made with no bread on top

called also (British) open sandwich
Merriam Webster
Not everyone likes pendants.

ruben sandwich from dean and deluca in Embassy bangkok.. to die for

I find Dean and Deluca food to be less than stellar - particularly their sandwiches. And their coffee is bad, too.

I think the Reuben at Landmark Hotel was fantastic, but I haven't eaten one in a year or so. They were excellent when I did have them. Authentic flavor and good size for Thailand. Half sandwich was enough.

• Like 1

I find Dean and Deluca food to be less than stellar - particularly their sandwiches. And their coffee is bad, too.

I think the Reuben at Landmark Hotel was fantastic, but I haven't eaten one in a year or so. They were excellent when I did have them. Authentic flavor and good size for Thailand. Half sandwich was enough.

Dean and Deluca

post-187908-0-78216300-1413802019_thumb.

Dean and Deluca

Is that cheddar cheese or cheze whiz?

Seriously?

The only cheese the goes on a Reuben is swiss - standard Swiss or Ementhal or a variation of etc. Never seen cheddar. At least never seen that in NYC, which is the place to get a real Reuben. Ooozy cheddar would ruin the sandwich. Even the swiss is not really oozy. It is melted slightly as the sandwich is lightly heated on a hot griddle, and served warm.

Also, as I recall... one has to ask D&D to heat the sandwich. And they MICROWAVE it. Ugh!

Sorry... no disrespect meant eeeya, but D&D don't know what a Reuben is. And since they are a gourmet shop from NYC they should.

Imagine a classic Japanese well known Tokyo Ramen restaurant making Ramen with spaghetti noodles? I don't think so.

There is really no excuse for D&D in Thailand. They miss the mark on so many counts.

• Like 1