Manchester City

mrbojangles

From skysports:-

Eriksson eyes top four

City boss targets 'top class' reinforcements

Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson believes his side are 'on the right track' to break into the Premier League's top four.

Champions Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal have been mainstays in the table's top spots over recent years.

However, City - who currently occupy seventh place in the league - travel to Newcastle on Wednesday hoping to maintain the pressure on the 'big four'.

Eriksson's side secured a battling 0-0 draw with Liverpool on Sunday to continue their hunt for UEFA Champions League places and the City boss is confident this season's form will progress.

"If we want to get into that top four we need continuity here," Eriksson told The Sun.

"By that I mean continuing to develop good young players and get in some more quality.

"We are definitely on the right track to breaking into the top four - but when that will happen I do not know.

"If it does not happen this year it means the top four above us are just better. But I know that if we can sort out our away form we will have a lot better chance."

Eriksson made a number of quick-fire big-money signings when he took over at Eastlands last summer and the Swede, who has already signed Nery Castillo, has hinted that he will use the January transfer window to reinforce his squad.

City have been linked with a move for Newcastle striker Michael Owen and ahead of his side's trip to St James' Park, Eriksson admits he is again targeting star signings.

"We already have one new player in Nery Castillo who will hopefully surprise everyone," Eriksson added.

"The other players I want will be difficult to get. They are expensive and top class. But if we do get them it will all happen in the next week."

Interview with Bianchi

Bianchi's Champions aim

Bianchi wants to keep scoring to help City into the Champions League

Italian striker Rolando Bianchi wants to net at least 10 goals this season to fire Manchester City into the UEFA Champions League. :D

After an indifferent start to the season, Bianchi is well on his way to his goal after netting four times in the league.

The Italian is now commanding a regular place in the City team, after finding it hard to establish himself following his £8.8million switch from Reggina in the summer as part of Sven Goran Eriksson's foreign revolution.

But, while becoming increasingly influential on the pitch, Bianchi warns City fans not to get too used to seeing him in the team - as he longs to go onto Spain's La Liga and play for Atletico Madrid!

Speaking of his aims, Bianchi told Gazzetta dello Sport: "I hope to score at least 10 goals and I want to win a place in the next Champions League with City. It would be like winning the championship. :D

"Then I'll pack my bags again and go in search of new adventures. I'd like to wear the shirt of Atletico Madrid and score 15 goals in the Primera Liga too."

Bianchi admitted his long-term aim is to return to Italy as he believes playing abroad is not helping his chances of securing a place with the national squad.

And while relishing his time on the pitch, he has differing views of both the English diet and the culture of drinking.

He said: "I have raised the white flag with English food. I don't like it. :D

"I think I'm the only teetotal player in the Premier League. My team mates were surprised when I refused a beer. They looked at me as if I was an alien." :D

As well as the culinary and cultural differences, Bianchi also has doubts about English refereeing.

He said: "In Italy, the referee whistles as soon as a defender brushes against you. In the Premier League, you don't get a free-kick even if the defender runs over you with a tank." :o

A couple of snippets from the Daily Mirror

"Inter target Elano"

Manchester City are bracing themselves for a transfer assault by Inter Milan to prise Brazilian schemer Elano away from Eastlands.

The Serie A champions and run away leaders have identified the summer signing from Shakhtar Donetsk as the answer to a midfield injury crisis which has seen Patrick Vieira, Olivier Dacourt, Luis Figo and Dejan Stankovic all sidelined.

Inter boss Roberto Mancini is ready to bid £11m for Elano, who has excelled in his first season in the Premier League but City will be reluctant to let the fans' favourite leave.

"New City deal for Dunne"

Richard Dunne is set to give Manchester City a New Year boost by agreeing a new five-year, £40,000-a-week deal with the club.

City skipper Dunne was the hero of Sunday's 0-0 draw with Liverpool, with a towering performance.

The 28-year-old centre-back has been at City for seven years and has 18 months left on his deal.

But manager Sven Goran Eriksson expects him to sign a new agreement within the next fortnight.

"Contract talks are ongoing with Richard," said Eriksson. "It is not far away before he signs a new contract.

"He is very important for us as a captain and in the steadiness and quality of his performances."

Yet Eriksson did not rate the Republic of Ireland star on first viewing.

"When I came to manage England I watched Manchester City but I wasn't that impressed with Dunne," added Eriksson.

"But what a fantastic player has has become. He was the captain when I came here so it was natural for him to stay as captain and I'm glad I made that decision."

Eriksson also insisted unsettled striker Rolando Bianchi has no desire to leave, despite claiming in an interview that he hated life in England and wanted to return to Italy.

Non-drinker Bianchi was said to have complained of the booze culture among players in England, and rubbished the standard of food in the UK.

But Eriksson said: "I've known Bianchi now for six months and I know his character. I believe him when he says he didn't say these things.

"He wants to stay and fight for his place."

From the BBC

Newcastle 0-2 Man City :o

Manchester City moved up to fourth in the table after beating Newcastle for their first away Premier League win since the opening day of the season.

Newcastle had the best early chances with Joe Hart saving from Habib Beye, Charles N'Zogbia and Obafemi Martins.

But City took the lead with Elano's precise shot into the bottom corner.

Hart had to deny Michael Owen, who ran clear immediately after coming off the bench, but Gelson Fernandes rounded off a neat move to seal victory for City.

Just as in their defeat against Chelsea on Saturday, Newcastle could claim they deserved better from this match but, again, that will not help Magpies boss Sam Allardyce who, despite the reassurances of club owner Mike Ashley, will remain under pressure until his side start winning.

City had also been without a win in their previous three games, but the trio of draws they managed points to a growing resilience, even when they are not in full flow.

Led by the impressive Richard Dunne, Sven-Goran Eriksson's defended well again in the early stages here, and were grateful to Hart when their back-line was breached.

Hart did well to keep out Beye's header from N'Zogbia's corner and then recovered to block a follow-up shot from the Senegal defender.

The England Under-21 keeper also got across well to keep out Martins' shot and kept out N'Zogbia's shot after a mazy run had taken him into the box.

Apart from Dunne, the best outfield players on the park were both left-sided with N'Zogbia and City's Martin Petrov causing havoc.

Petrov brought a flying save from Shay Given after cutting in from the flank as City came into the game for the first time but it was still something of a surprise when the visitors took the lead just before half-time.

Darius Vassell and Stephen Ireland combined to create space on the edge of the area for Elano and he finished superbly, curling his shot past Given's despairing dive.

Allardyce's response was to bring on Owen at half-time and the substitution almost paid off instantly.

N'Zogbia's pass split the City defence and found Owen on the edge of the area but he could not find a way past Hart, who stretched out a leg to deflect the ball wide.

It was a great chance that should have been the start of some concerted pressure by the home side but instead they floundered.

City were still being forced to defend but Hart was more of a spectator now following his earlier heroics and an equaliser looked unlikely.

Instead it was City who wrapped things up with Gelson's goal on 76 minutes.

Vedran Corluka pumped the ball up to Kelvin Etuhu and he laid it off for the Swiss midfielder to smash the ball past Given.

That was the cue for Newcastle's fans to begin to leave St James' Park and, although Nicky Butt did force another flying save from Hart, there was nothing in the closing minutes to make them return to their seats.

After three successive defeats, the Magpies' next game is a tough looking trip to Stoke in the FA Cup on Saturday and Allardyce will be aware he is running out of time to show he is the right man for the Newcastle hot-seat.

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce:

"The pressure mounts because we have lost a game that we should not have done.

"A team like Newcastle should not lose three on a trot and it is a low moment.

"But we have to believe that, with the way we played against City, we will get out of this slump and we will start on Saturday against Stoke in the FA Cup."

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson:

"We played very well defensively and on the counter-attack too.

"We scored two very good goals - both were beautifully set up.

"Of course I am very happy - it has been a long time since we last won a game away from home and it is a very nice way to start 2008.

From the City web site:-

Boss delighted with win at Newcastle

Sven-Goran Eriksson is delighted with City’s first away win in the league since the start of the season.

The Blues beat Newcastle thanks to goals from Elano and Gelson Fernandes at St James’ Park, and the Manager is especially pleased that City have come through the Christmas league programme unbeaten and have gone back into fourth place above Liverpool.

“That’s good, of course,” Sven declares. “Liverpool have a game yet to play, but it’s better especially as we have played a lot of games lately. Three draws and a win from the last couple of weeks is very good.

“We started the season by winning away, and we have started the New Year by winning away, let’s hope it does not take another 19 games before we do so again!

“We did very well tonight, our defending was good and we were always a threat at counterattacks. Our two goals were beautiful goals, so I’m very happy.”

Fernandes’ goal, his first for City, came with his first touch and of this inspired substitution the Manager said:

“Sometimes you’re lucky! It was a good pass from Corluka in behind the defender that started it, Kelvin’s run was fantastic and so was Gelson’s finish. He’s very happy in the dressing room I can tell you!

“Now we go back to Manchester to recover and train ahead of West Ham and get back on it again for the weekend. We’re doing well at the moment, we played well against Liverpool and could have had two more points from the Blackburn game. We were good again tonight, and physically we don’t seem to have any problems at all.”

Well It was an ok performance, but the thing is we are getting results, grinding them out, without neccessarily playing great.

As for individuals, I like Hart as GK, the 2 centre halves are great, although we do seem to be dodgy on set pieces. I do like Onuha, although I thought he showed his inexperience last night.

Elano for me is still not fit.

Petrov, although he is able to provide a killer pass, and has got pace, to me is looking tired and not too keen on running around in the 2nd half.

I am not convinced about Ireland

I do like the look of this kid Etuhu.

I think Hamann is an integral part, our steady Eddie.

I think last night we beat a very very poor side, who are short of confidence, but this start is as good a start as I can remember.

Long may the good times continue. Hard game at the weekend though :o

This made my day! Treat people like you expect to be treated yourself, let's just hope he gets 6 months!

Magistrates have refused Joey Barton bail despite the Newcastle midfielder's lawyer effectively offering to put him under house arrest.

In an unexpected development during the hearing at Liverpool Magistrates Court into an alleged assualt in the early hours of December 27, it was proposed by Barton's counsel that the 25-year-old would travel to the Sporting Chance clinic in Hampshire where he would stay for 24 hours a day under constant supervision from a member of staff.

However, the application for bail was denied and the assault charge against the footballer was upgraded from a Section 39 common assault to a Section 47 assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Barton did not attend in person but watched proceedings via video link from Liverpool's Walton Prison. He is due back in court on January 16.

GUTTED!

Joey Barton was released from jail on Thursday night after being bailed by a judge.

The 25-year-old Newcastle United and England midfielder made no comment as he passed through the gates of Liverpool Prison into a waiting car.

Barton, of Widnes, Cheshire, had been in prison since he was charged with assault and affray last Friday.

He, his brother and a friend, were arrested in Liverpool city centre in the early hours of Thursday morning following a complaint to police by city centre CCTV operators.

It is alleged the group were involved in two incidents following a confrontation at a McDonalds restaurant in Church Street, Liverpool, at 5.30am.

Judge David Swift, sitting in chambers at Liverpool Crown Court, agreed bail earlier on Thursday afternoon.

Barton's solicitor Daniel Weed said: "Mr Joseph Barton has been granted bail with conditions until he appears at Liverpool Magistrates' Court on January 16."

Bail conditions were not revealed.

Barton, wearing the black jumper he was arrested in, a grey top and jeans, left prison at 6pm.

He climbed into a silver Audi A5 and sat in the rear with Mr Weed. At the wheel was Peter Kay, chief executive of the Sporting Chance clinic in Hampshire, who offered bail accommodation and supervision to the footballer at an earlier hearing.

Barton, who is charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray, will next appear at Liverpool Magistrates' Court on January 16.

The court also decided that a charge of criminal damage against Barton, following an incident in a taxi in March 2005, will also be heard that day.

He will appear with Andrew Barton, 19, of Widnes, Cheshire, who is charged with actual bodily harm and affray, and Nadine Wilson, 27, from Huyton, Merseyside, who is charged with common assault and affray.

Just read a report that City have made a bid for Roque Cruz of Blackburn.

Mr Boj are you over there in UK. A ny word?

I think it was in the Mail. I read it on sky sports

Not read anything that is concrete Jack. Just the rumour mill at the moment.

West Ham 0 - 0 Man City

West Ham and Manchester City must replay their FA Cup third round match again on Wednesday week.

City had claims for an early penalty when Anton Ferdinand brought down the impressive Martin Petrov, while Robert Green superbly denied Stephen Ireland.

Joe Hart kept out Matthew Etherington's shot and palmed away a Mark Noble free-kick as the Hammers responded.

Ireland came close with another volley after the break, while Hart tipped over Dean Ashton's header near the end.

Neither side will relish the prospect of having to play another game but, after a week in which the tournament's importance was again debated, it was refreshing to see two strong line-ups approach this match with real gusto.

No-one epitomised that more than Petrov, who cut inside in the 16th minute and was clumsily brought down by Ferdinand, only for referee Rob Styles to wave away surprisingly muted claims.

Petrov's deep cross then found its way to the far post, where Ireland unleashed a powerful volley that Green brilliantly palmed over.

At the other end, Ashton was well marshalled by in-form City skipper Richard Dunne, leaving energetic duo Etherington and Mark Noble to produce most of West Ham's best moments.

Etherington, who was returning after two months out with a groin problem, came desperately close to a breakthrough when Hayden Mullins's cross was flicked on by Carlton Cole, only for Hart to tip his effort around the near post.

Hart then palmed away a free-kick Noble whipped in as the Hammers enjoyed a good spell but Petrov was never far from the action.

His cross would have been converted by Mexican striker Nery Castillo, who looked bright on his debut, but for a last-ditch interception from Ferdinand.

Lucas Neill, who had been tormented by Petrov, was replaced by Jonathan Spector and West Ham did nearly all the pressing at the start of the first half.

City appeared to have lost their first-half fluency but their threat on the break was illustrated when another Ireland volley was kept out by Hart.

Although a raft of substitutions affected the flow of the game in the latter stages, it remained an absorbing spectacle.

After a quiet spell, Petrov was again at the heart of some intricate passing moves from the away team, while West Ham were by no means overshadowed.

One of their replacements, Kyel Reid, delivered a good centre which Ashton made decent contact with but Hart made sure there would be no late drama by helping it over the bar.

From the City web site:-

Boss satisfied with cup draw

Sven-Goran Eriksson has declared himself satisfied with the solid performance that sees City still in the hat for the fourth round of the FA Cup.

The Blues drew 0-0 with West Ham at Upton Park, and reacting to his first taste of the famous competition Sven said:

“I enjoyed it a lot, we started very well and controlled it early on. I know it’s a long way to the final but we took a half step today and hopefully we can take the other half at home.

“We could have scored in the first half when we had the energy, but 0-0 is OK. It’s another clean sheet and a very good performance by us, so I’m happy and hopefully we can win when we replay at home.

“There have been a lot of games within a few days, and at the end we were tired, but that’s to be expected with all these games. But I’m optimistic we’ll go through.

“There were a lot of half-chances, but we could not take them. Having said that we performed well and I’m happy.”

Paying tribute to a back four that has not conceded in 270 minutes of football within the last week, the Manager added:

“We are defending very, very well at the moment and we should be pleased with that – I hope they go on like this for a long, long time!”

The Berbatov speculation rollercoaster takes another turn, with the Sun thinking that City now head the queue for the Bulgarian.

The Sun

"Name your price, Dimi"

MANCHESTER CITY are vowing to win the race for Dimitar Berbatov.

SunSport revealed on Saturday that Sven Goran Eriksson’s men have joined the battle for the Spurs ace.

City claim they can beat Chelsea and Manchester United in the financial stakes, despite Tottenham slapping a £35million price tag on Berba.

Their Bulgarian midfielder Martin Petrov has met best pal Berbatov, 26, and told him the club has all the money he wants. He could even get £120,000 a week.

A City source said: “Owner Thaksin Shinawatra wants to make City the best in the country, then Europe. His aim is world domination.”

But City look set to miss out on Nicolas Anelka. Chelsea last night matched their £12m bid for the Bolton striker, 28.

Daily Mirror

"Arabian fright off Dunnie"

Saudi Arabia striker Yasser Al Qahtani claimed last week to have turned down an approach from Manchester City. But former City keeper John Burridge, working as a TV analyst in the Middle East, has a somewhat different take on proceedings.

He said: "Al Qahtani flew into Manchester with a huge entourage. He arrived at the City training ground like a prince and when he took part in his first training session, the members of his entourage lined the length of the touchline cheering his every move. :o

"When he got the ball, Richard Dunne smacked Al Qahtani with a good old fashioned 'welcome' tackle, and he fell on to the ground like a bag of chips. :D:D

"He started rolling around, squealing, then he was carried off. Then he started crying." :D:D

He said: "Al Qahtani flew into Manchester with a huge entourage. He arrived at the City training ground like a prince and when he took part in his first training session, the members of his entourage lined the length of the touchline cheering his every move. :D

"When he got the ball, Richard Dunne smacked Al Qahtani with a good old fashioned 'welcome' tackle, and he fell on to the ground like a bag of chips. :bah::bah:

"He started rolling around, squealing, then he was carried off. Then he started crying." :o;)

:o:D:D:D Get in there son!

Thats made my day Mr BoJ :D

He said: "Al Qahtani flew into Manchester with a huge entourage. He arrived at the City training ground like a prince and when he took part in his first training session, the members of his entourage lined the length of the touchline cheering his every move. :D

"When he got the ball, Richard Dunne smacked Al Qahtani with a good old fashioned 'welcome' tackle, and he fell on to the ground like a bag of chips. :bah::bah:

"He started rolling around, squealing, then he was carried off. Then he started crying."

:o:D:D:D Get in there son!

Thats made my day Mr BoJ :o

Yeah it did me too Jack. You can just visualise Dunney knocking the stuffing out of him can't you ;)

Talking of how hadr Richard Dunne is. This from Sven;-

Sven glad to play waiting game over Dunnie

City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has explained why City played with 10 men during the second half of Saturday’s cup draw with West Ham.

Skipper Richard Dunne left the field after taking a blow to the face around the hour mark, and it was nearly five minutes before he re-emerged.

Vedran Corluka moved back into central defence and the Blues coped admirably without their captain, but the Manager says that he was keen to give Dunne every chance to get back on.

“You have to take a decision eventually,” says Sven, “and twice I sent people down to find out whether he was coming back out or not.

“To have taken him off would have been difficult, it was the second half and I knew that we were going to be defending a lot more. We decided to wait for him, and I’m glad to say it was the right decision.

“He’s got a few stitches around his mouth, but he’ll be alright. He’s had a couple of black eyes already this season but nothing has ever stopped him before either.” :o

From the city web site:-

Nedum happy with the winning mentality

Nedum Onuoha knows that he can't take his place in the City side for granted even after his successful return to the side.

The England Under 21 international had only a few starting and substitute appearances under his belt prior to the game at Villa Park before Christmas, but since then he has been an ever-present in the current unbeaten run, with the Blues' defence conceding no goals at all in the last three matches.

"There is certainly more of a winning mentality about the club now than the past," he declares. "In previous seasons we might have been happy just not to lose but now we are disappointed if we don't win, as happened at West Ham.

"There is a real togetherness about the squad which is great because we all know that it is not just about 11 players. Others can come in and out of the side from one week to the next and change games."

Having had a succession of injuries that have interrupted his promising career in the past, Nedum is pleased with his fitness this season and he adds:

"My attitude now is just to hold the shirt. I never lost patience this season or before when injuries struck. I have more than 50 appearances for the club but they have been stretched over three seasons so you just know that patience has to be natural.

"We have not been this high in the league for so long since I broke through here so we are all learning all the time."

Gossip from the papers:-

Daily Mirror

“Cisse hopes City likes the cut of his Djib”

Former Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse is being target by four Premier League clubs.

Manchester City, Blackburn, West Ham and Bolton are chasing the £7.4 million striker, who is playing for Marseilles. Cisse still has four and a half years left on his contract with the French side, bur is believed to be keen on a move to City.

The Times

Window watch: Iraqi midfield player poised for breakthrough move to City.

Manchester City were last night in advanced negotiations to make Nashat Akram the first Iraqi player to appear in the Premier League. The midfield player, 23, has impressed Sven-Göran Eriksson while on a ten-day trial and is in talks about making a permanent move from Al-Ain, for whom he plays in the United Arab Emirates. He underwent a medical examination yesterday and has been invited to discuss personal terms.

One of his compatriots, the late Youra Eshaya, played for Bristol Rovers in the mid-1950s, but Akram, who recently finished third in the Asian Player of the Year awards, stands to be the first Iraqi to play in a top European league in modern times.

There is a report in The Sun today that City are serious about signing Berbatov - and they quote the bit again about Thaksin's aim being world domination! Mmmmmm....

Also that McLeish is to pay £2.5 million to bring Samaras to Birmingham. Now that's more like it!

Gossip from the papers:-

Daily Mirror

“Cisse hopes City likes the cut of his Djib”

Former Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse is being target by four Premier League clubs.

Manchester City, Blackburn, West Ham and Bolton are chasing the £7.4 million striker, who is playing for Marseilles. Cisse still has four and a half years left on his contract with the French side, bur is believed to be keen on a move to City.

The Times

Window watch: Iraqi midfield player poised for breakthrough move to City.

Manchester City were last night in advanced negotiations to make Nashat Akram the first Iraqi player to appear in the Premier League. The midfield player, 23, has impressed Sven-Göran Eriksson while on a ten-day trial and is in talks about making a permanent move from Al-Ain, for whom he plays in the United Arab Emirates. He underwent a medical examination yesterday and has been invited to discuss personal terms.

One of his compatriots, the late Youra Eshaya, played for Bristol Rovers in the mid-1950s, but Akram, who recently finished third in the Asian Player of the Year awards, stands to be the first Iraqi to play in a top European league in modern times.

Not sure about Cisse, he was prolific in France before he went to Liverpool, and has been since. He was unfortunate to break his leg, andf then not get regular football in his favoured position. He's certqinly done well back in France, and he has plenty of pace, which City could certainly do with up front.

As for the Iraqi guy, he was outstanding in the AFC Championship last year, and I think Sundrland did try and sign him at the start of the season. He won't have any problems obtaining a WP either.

BTW, whats happening with the three Thai players? Did they get a WP, or have they been loaned out?

Not sure about Cisse, he was prolific in France before he went to Liverpool, and has been since. He was unfortunate to break his leg, andf then not get regular football in his favoured position. He's certqinly done well back in France, and he has plenty of pace, which City could certainly do with up front.

I agree about Cisse, not bothered if we get him or not.

As for the Iraqi guy, he was outstanding in the AFC Championship last year, and I think Sundrland did try and sign him at the start of the season. He won't have any problems obtaining a WP either.

I've not seen much of him but i've heard glowing reports. Here's hoping

BTW, whats happening with the three Thai players? Did they get a WP, or have they been loaned out?

I think they're in limbo at the moment. Not got the work permits but i think they are still training.

There is a report in The Sun today that City are serious about signing Berbatov - and they quote the bit again about Thaksin's aim being world domination! Mmmmmm....

Berbatove would be nice..................but world domination would be nicer :o

Also that McLeish is to pay £2.5 million to bring Samaras to Birmingham. Now that's more like it!

Absolutely. He can have him for 2.5 million peanuts if he wants :D

Well done City, Thomas Cook and Le Coq :o

City to don special kit for Manchester derby

Manchester City’s shirt sponsors and manufacturer will have their branding removed from the kit worn in the Munich anniversary derby on February 10 at Old Trafford.

The decision by Thomas Cook.com and Le Coq Sportif came after talks between the companies and the supporters.

Producing a kit that will incorporate a black ribbon of remembrance is just one of the initiatives City have adopted ahead of the match against Manchester United.

Other plans for the joint marking of the 50th anniversary of the tragedy on February 6 are expected to be announced shortly.

City spokesman Paul Tyrrell told the Manchester Evening News: “After discussions with the Official Supporters Club and the Centenary Supporters Association both Thomas Cook and Le Coq Sportif offered to remove branding from the shirts.

“Le Coq are happy to produce a unique kit for the occasion.”

All 3,000 City fans who get a ticket for the game will receive a letter from manager Sven Goran-Eriksson and skipper Richard Dunne as well as a picture of goalkeeper-turned-journalist Frank Swift, who died in the plane crash.

Eriksson asks all supporters to “uphold the good name of Manchester City and respectfully support the commemorations.”

Well done City, Thomas Cook and Le Coq :D

City to don special kit for Manchester derby

Manchester City's shirt sponsors and manufacturer will have their branding removed from the kit worn in the Munich anniversary derby on February 10 at Old Trafford.

The decision by Thomas Cook.com and Le Coq Sportif came after talks between the companies and the supporters.

Producing a kit that will incorporate a black ribbon of remembrance is just one of the initiatives City have adopted ahead of the match against Manchester United.

Other plans for the joint marking of the 50th anniversary of the tragedy on February 6 are expected to be announced shortly.

City spokesman Paul Tyrrell told the Manchester Evening News: "After discussions with the Official Supporters Club and the Centenary Supporters Association both Thomas Cook and Le Coq Sportif offered to remove branding from the shirts.

"Le Coq are happy to produce a unique kit for the occasion."

All 3,000 City fans who get a ticket for the game will receive a letter from manager Sven Goran-Eriksson and skipper Richard Dunne as well as a picture of goalkeeper-turned-journalist Frank Swift, who died in the plane crash.

Eriksson asks all supporters to "uphold the good name of Manchester City and respectfully support the commemorations."

It would be nice if they brought back the old circular badge as well. I've always thought that 'makeover' Italian design looks terrible with those ridiculous scrawny 'eagles' that look like they belong to an Italian police captain's uniform :o .

Berbatove would be nice..................but world domination would be nicer :o

Absolutely. He can have him for 2.5 million peanuts if he wants :D

Thaksin is full of <deleted>. :D

This I believe was Pearces biggest mistake.

He was given money to go buy a Goal scorer.

Samaras wasnt and still isnt the finished article.

Pearce said he was buying for the future. That was silly at that time as we had plenty of up and coming (and still have) youngsters. We needed at that time a PROVEN goalscorer. He blew his chance and now we aint going to get back even half of what we paid for him :o

It would be nice if they brought back the old circular badge as well.

Yes, it is forever in my heart :D

post-19542-1199893055_thumb.jpg

P.S. Do you like my little emoticon i just aquired

post-19542-1199893084.gif

There's even a better version of your old badge with the ship and the rose closer together but your one looks good enough. I think Taksin would win a few friends if he reverted back to the real city badge. I once saw a herbert in a nylon shell suit with the new badge on it when it first came out. It looked like it was from a Tesco bargain bin. Chelsea reverted to a version of their old badge and it certainly looks better. However there are probably more supporters in Seoul wearing the new shirt than in west London. :o As for the new City badge it looks like a dead pigeon that has been trodden on by Colin Bell's wooden leg :D