When do i loose my Australian Medicare

i am wondering if i can loos my australian medicare benefits if i am outside the country for too long.

its been almost 2years and i am not intending to return for quite some time. i live here in thailand.

i have a currrent card which expires 06/2017...

does that mean its valid till then....

i am asking in case i have an emergency or something like that...i haven't got travel or any other insurance and i am insured for the basic through my Thai wive's company....

thanks for any insights

Just in case a Medicare person decides to check your residency status upon returning to Oz you need to provide documents to support your residence in Australia if:

you are an Australian citizen returning to Australia to live after living overseas for more than five years. Read more about Medicare enrolment for returning residents

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

To cut many long stories short:- The right hand does not talk the left.

My renewed card always arrives at my nominated address every 4 years or whenever, my TW's card (her daughter is included) arrives at the address, their "Perminant Residency" ran out years ago and we have never bothered to go through the RRV rather than just get a 12 Month multi entry tourist visa into Australia.

I guess there is a legal system in place but for now it is transparent.

EDIT: Just in case anyone thinks I'm bludging on the system most of my investments are in Australia, I still file a tax return every year and STILL pay the Medicare Levy!

Edited by bdenner

Far as I know the cards valid till expired and then my wife who got a temporary card had it automatically updated.

So it should just keep updating itself in your case, long as your an Aussie citizen.

Then it's a piece of cake to get if you had to again anyway.

Medicare is not travel insurance if that's what you are thinking. Means zero overseas.

Far as I know the cards valid till expired and then my wife who got a temporary card had it automatically updated.

So it should just keep updating itself in your case, long as your an Aussie citizen.

Medicare is not travel insurance if that's what you are thinking. Means zero overseas.

not quite - while not a substitute for travel insurance Medicare has extensive reciporcal agreements mainly across the EU and NZ. UK probably being the most commonly used one (that'll get the resident whinging TV brits going!!).

not quite - while not a substitute for travel insurance Medicare has extensive reciporcal agreements mainly across the EU and NZ. UK probably being the most commonly used one (that'll get the resident whinging TV brits going!!).

Ok that's interesting and good to keep in mind.

Still I won't travel without the best travel insurance I can find. Would make a good topic who is best but we always use AAMI.

Still I won't travel without the best travel insurance I can find. Would make a good topic who is best but we always use AAMI.

Participating RHCA countries

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements/participating-rhca-countries

• Like 1

Participating RHCA countries

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements/participating-rhca-countries

Interesting, and I wonder when they add Thailand to the list ...

"when they add Thailand to the list ..."

When there is an incentive for the Government to do so.

I don't see any catalyst for that action on the immediate horizon.