Howding Invisible Helmet

ll2

Just seen this product. An invisible helmet! From a Swedish company called Howding - two dots on top of 'o'.

It is for cyclists or small cc bikes like mopeds etc. for now.

The technology is new so maybe in the future we see the same tech as a proper motorcycle helmet and a product that can withstand the abrasion and road rash.

But i believe it is a good an interesting idea.

Check it out:

http://www.hovding.com

post-184955-14137884559216_thumb.jpg

post-184955-14137885789344_thumb.jpg

post-184955-14137885962272_thumb.jpg

post-184955-14137886072981_thumb.jpg

post-184955-1413788694412_thumb.jpg

post-184955-141378870188_thumb.jpg

post-184955-14137887149133_thumb.jpg

I think this is an airbag and not an invisible helmet. Their page confusingly calls it helmet in some places but right at the top they say "Airbag for cyclists".

Ducati has unveiled an airbag for motorbikes inside the jacket that is connected to the bike earlier this year:

I'm sure it'll sell because people often put fashion and 'being seen' (by people they'll never see again) high up on the list of priorities. However, regardless of the technology involved, I'm sure there'll be scenarios which it wouldn't deal with, but which a traditional hard helmet wood. For example someone crashing into you and your head.

Wouldnt work as a bicycle helmet in thailand as its much too hot and bulky at the neck area. Maybe good for the netherlands in cold weather if you think you need a helmet but dont want to put one on your head.

Very good of course is the protection of the neck, which lacks with normal cycle helmets.

I could see this being used alongside conventional helmets in the future, for example as an inflatable neck brace or an extra layer to a normal helmet.

As a standalone solution, I wouldn't be interested in using it even if it worked. I like the protection my helmet gives me from the sun, rain, wind, insects etc. I also like the certain level of anonymity that the helmet provides, especially as a farang rider in Bangkok.

• Like 2

I could see this being used alongside conventional helmets in the future, for example as an inflatable neck brace or an extra layer to a normal helmet.

As a standalone solution, I wouldn't be interested in using it even if it worked. I like the protection my helmet gives me from the sun, rain, wind, insects etc. I also like the certain level of anonymity that the helmet provides, especially as a farang rider in Bangkok.

Having almost snapped my neck when my bike landed on me (Leatt brace saved me), it would be nice to have an airbag in the bottom of a regular helmet so it becomes a neck brace.

Activating it might be hard to distinguish between an accident and fast braking/acceleration.

Maybe a sensor on the bike and another in the helmet and any very quick separation activates the airbag.