Two crew badly burned in speedboat fire near Phuket

webfact

Two crew badly burned in speedboat fire near Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

b.jpg
The remnants of the boat are hosed down.

PHUKET: -- Two people were hospitalised with severe burns yesterday evening (October 20) after the engine of speedboat belonging to the Paradise Koh Yao Resort caught fire in the middle of Phang Nga Bay.

The Rescue Centre on Koh Yao Noi receive a call just after 6pm that fire was consuming the speedboat on the water.

No passengers were aboard at the time, but the captain, Sonsak Maikaow, 29, and crew member Weerayut Rumsakul, 28, were badly burned before rescuers could pluck them to safety.

After first aid treatment they were taken to Koh Yao Chaiyapat Hospital in Phang Nga, and later transferred to Vachira Hospital in Phuket for treatment to third-degree burns. A third crew member escaped with minor injuries.

The boat itself was wrecked by the fire. Police are to investigate the cause but were told by the crew that the flames broke out in the engine bay.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-crew-badly-burned-in-speedboat-fire-near-phuket-49245.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-21

Am I naiv? Why didn´t they jump into the water? Sharks? Cannot swimm, no life jacket? Yes must be me being stupid!

I'm the same ! blink.png Why do you need to be plucked from a burning boat for crying out loud ? The mind boggles. As said at least there were no passengers onboard.

• Like 1

This is a photo I took of a boat from the same company (maybe the same, they have only 2 or 3 like it) sunk at the A dock of Yacht Haven Marina in Ban Kho En. Photo taken in Fall 2012. The resort is nice, the food is amazing, great location in the secluded NE of the island facing Ko Pak Bia and Krabi Province. Too bad they seem to have trouble with their boats.

post-187534-0-62667700-1413893133_thumb.