Nursing Homes In Thailand

egeefay

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the orginal poster of this inquiry about nursing homes in Thailand

Since I first posted the inquiry last year a lot has happened.

My thai mother-in-law now requires weekly kidney dialysis. (diabetes) She needs daily monitoring of her blood and diet. And because she can no longer move around she has to be fed, bathed and diaper changed

We all felt that taking care of her at home was out of the question since she needs round the clock monitoring and much more care than any of her children could provide.

So when we went to Thailand last December we began looking for a nursing home in earnest.

We went to Google Thailand and were able to find references to different nursing homes on the Thai version.

We visited Golden Years and two other homes.

In the end we opted for a nursing home in Bangkok. The patients are all housed in one large room (on for men and one for women). The rooms are bright and air conditioned. There is always a nurse on each floor as well as orderlies. The doctor comes by once in the morning and once in the evening to visit each patient.

We've dropped in for visits unannounced and there always seems to be staff members working with patients.

The place seems clean and well run.

We've had the mother in law there for 5 months now and she is actually getting better. She speaks well of the staff and they seem to like her.

The doctor took her off a lot of the medications she was taking while in the hospital and she has started to eat solid food again (after being on a feeding tube for a month). She is started in do a little exercise out of bed with a walker.

More importantly they seem to have her blood monitored.

They don't perform kidney dialysis there so once a week an ambulance from a local hospital picks her up and takes her for her treatments and then brings her back.

All in all we are happy with her treatment though the cost is a little steep for thais

Her nurising home bill is 24,000 baht a month including food and care

Her medications run about 2000 baht a month

Her kidney dialysis runs about 24,000 per month (3000 baht including 1000 bath for the ambulance to take her to and from her appointment...6 times a month)

All totaled her monthly stay costs between 50,000-60,000 baht...which is more than most Thais earn each month

We are not sure how long she will live under these conditions..but it could be for years (she's 85 years old now)

The one drawback is that she doesn't have much quality of life. Family can only visit her occasionally and so she's pretty much there by herself. The other patients seem to be mostly coma patients or people "near the end" so she doesn't have much socialization other than with the staff.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had a similar experience with nursing homes in Thailand.

I have no one to compare notes with

Hello Egeefay,

My sympathy and emphathy for your situation, as it refects my own experience in Chiang Mai, with my Mum. We eventually found what was the best possible solution, for us, and I will gladly relate our experiences, if you care to PM me.

Regards,

Gladiator

I am the orginal poster of this inquiry about nursing homes in Thailand

Since I first posted the inquiry last year a lot has happened.

My thai mother-in-law now requires weekly kidney dialysis. (diabetes) She needs daily monitoring of her blood and diet. And because she can no longer move around she has to be fed, bathed and diaper changed

We all felt that taking care of her at home was out of the question since she needs round the clock monitoring and much more care than any of her children could provide.

So when we went to Thailand last December we began looking for a nursing home in earnest.

We went to Google Thailand and were able to find references to different nursing homes on the Thai version.

We visited Golden Years and two other homes.

In the end we opted for a nursing home in Bangkok. The patients are all housed in one large room (on for men and one for women). The rooms are bright and air conditioned. There is always a nurse on each floor as well as orderlies. The doctor comes by once in the morning and once in the evening to visit each patient.

We've dropped in for visits unannounced and there always seems to be staff members working with patients.

The place seems clean and well run.

We've had the mother in law there for 5 months now and she is actually getting better. She speaks well of the staff and they seem to like her.

The doctor took her off a lot of the medications she was taking while in the hospital and she has started to eat solid food again (after being on a feeding tube for a month). She is started in do a little exercise out of bed with a walker.

More importantly they seem to have her blood monitored.

They don't perform kidney dialysis there so once a week an ambulance from a local hospital picks her up and takes her for her treatments and then brings her back.

All in all we are happy with her treatment though the cost is a little steep for thais

Her nurising home bill is 24,000 baht a month including food and care

Her medications run about 2000 baht a month

Her kidney dialysis runs about 24,000 per month (3000 baht including 1000 bath for the ambulance to take her to and from her appointment...6 times a month)

All totaled her monthly stay costs between 50,000-60,000 baht...which is more than most Thais earn each month

We are not sure how long she will live under these conditions..but it could be for years (she's 85 years old now)

The one drawback is that she doesn't have much quality of life. Family can only visit her occasionally and so she's pretty much there by herself. The other patients seem to be mostly coma patients or people "near the end" so she doesn't have much socialization other than with the staff.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had a similar experience with nursing homes in Thailand.

I have no one to compare notes with

Hello Egeefay,

My sympathy and emphathy for your situation, as it refects my own experience in Chiang Mai, with my Mum. We eventually found what was the best possible solution, for us, and I will gladly relate our experiences, if you care to PM me.

Regards,

Gladiator

For those looking for Nursing Homes in Thailand - this facility in Chiang Mai - Dok-Kaew Gardens - Assisted Living Facility, may be of interest :

http://www.facebook....123719217654892

farang nursing/care home ,

i have looked , and never found such a place .

with the ageing farang population in thailand , a nursing/care home is certainly needed .

i would think a two tier resident home would be best suited.

one ,, for those folks that need nurses on standby 24/7.

two ,, for elderly ,lonely and active guys , that need a safe and comfortable haven .

i think it would be fantastic ,

xmas dinners , away days in coach ,etc .. and a friendly maid on hand , if reqd .. :whistling:

and last but by no means least .

to pop your clogs , with the aroma of roses ,

not that disgusting smell of burned chill . amen :jap:

<snip>

I'm not sure about the OP's situation but some estate planning is called for, whereby assets can be "protected", and the individual can go on Medicaire (the State pays for the nursing home). This involves a lot of planning, on the order or 39 ~ 60 months, for full asset protection.

If you are talking about the US, Medicare does not cover long-term custodial care, i.e. a nursing home. You need private insurance for that or deep, deep pockets.