ThaiPost leaves indie director’s pride in pieces

webfact

ThaiPost leaves indie director’s pride in pieces
By Coconuts Bangkok

ndr.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The achievement of an independent filmmaker’s life was left shattered in pieces Monday.

Nawapol “Ter” Thamrongrattanarit, director of “Mary is Happy, Mary is Happy,” was worried as soon as he saw the package delivered by Thailand Post containing his award from a German film festival.

Sure enough, when he opened the box, Nawapol’s worst fears were realized. They broke his award which, by the way, was made of solid stone.

"When I recieved the package, the condition of the box looked like it was dropped from an aircraft and penetrated my roof," Nawapol described. "The award is made of stone, and they broke it.”

When Nawapol was unable to attend Filmfest Hamburg earlier this month, organizers paid to ship his “New Talent Award” award to Thailand.

Congrats to Nawapol Thamrongrattanarit and "Mary is Happy, Mary is Happy" http://t.co/b6zaOdV4ef #FFHH14 pic.twitter.com/KMeLgWAnqI
— Filmfest Hamburg (@FilmfestHamburg) October 5, 2014

Apparently DHL managed to keep it in one piece across several continents, but once inside the kingdom, the plot took a dark turn in the hands of national mail carrier Thailand Post. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/10/21/thaipost-leaves-indie-directors-pride-pieces

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-10-21

"...the plot took a dark turn in the hands of national mail carrier Thailand Post." wai2.gifwai.gif

What a surprise.

I never received packages 3 times from overseas.

And with 3 packages sent inside Thailand, 2 never arrived, the third to my girlfriends son, was rifled through and his Birthday money stolen, that was that.

Never used the scumbags again.

And it not just the Post. I've had DHL try to extort me for an incoming package.

Had FEDEX Thailand try to rob me of a very important, valuable item sent to the US.

Took two weeks of calls and countless reports until it reached the desk of the top guy in L.A., who personally called me and had his personal secretary track it to a scumbag in Samui.

I still have all the paperwork in both cases.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by iReason

Why didn't DHL handle the delivery to him in Thailand?

Don't know if this helps or is applicable everywhere but when my new passport was sent from London 2 years ago it was by DHL to Bkk then delivered to me in Udon Thani by registered mail. There is a DHL office here but I've never seen a delivery vehicle.

Developing country - not surprised -

I sent 12 letters from Thailand -

5 arrived *(maybe they suspected money in the sent letters)

You are either very unlucky or exaggerating.

I have posted 1000's of letters from Thailand and lose less than 0.1% and most of those in the destination country.

I do not believe you lose over 40% and all within Thailand.

In fact Thai Post has given me excellent service over the years and at a great price compared to the UK and USA

• Like 1

Foreign companies are technically not allowed into domestic couriering services.

The director should ask them to reform the foreign business act.

DHL-couriered packages are delivered by their Thai arm. Even on Xmas Day, as I can attest to.

Foreign companies are technically not allowed into domestic couriering services.

The director should ask them to reform the foreign business act.

DHL-couriered packages are delivered by their Thai arm. Even on Xmas Day, as I can attest to.

Outside Bangkok, delivery services are subcontracted, because thr local couriers would have a fit.

Boxes can be dropped during shipping. As bad as ThaiPost is, the fault lies with the packer/shipper. A heavy object like this requires quite a bit of packing material to prevent breakage.

Sounds like the typical Thai excuse: it's someone else's fault.

How do you know how well the trophy was packaged?