Koh Tao case influences tourist mood

webfact

I do hope once this is all over and tourism returns, that the powers at be realise it is in spite of the p1ss poor handling of this case and not because of it.

This case is never over until the real killers are behind bars IMO...

"...until the real killers are behind bars" Whose bar?

Do you have any idea how ironic that statement actually is considering the location of the victims prior to the incident?

correct!! the problem in fact is that the real killers have not been removed from behind the bars where they sit comfortably and control burmese staff selling drinks to the tourists...

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In 6 to 24 months?

Unfortunately no matter which way the decision goes this case will be long forgotten by the and replaced with didn't something happen there sometime ago.

Plenty of nasty things have happen in the past that have been forgotten.

<<<< Off topic deflection comments removed >>>>

Business as usual in those places.

Not this one. Even the thai will not forget this one. Thousands and thousands on csi will not go. We all know the murderer is still out there waiting to strike again. And He will do it again.

• Like 2

I think it's a lot of things. These murders are indeed getting international attention and showing how dangerous and corrupt Thailand is.

There's also the matter of a coup and a dictator and martial law which keeps people from getting travel insurance. Even people who hadn't heard of the coup or the murders will find out fast enough when they find out they can't get insurance.

I think that the best tourists who simply want to visit and see Thailand will stay away in droves. It is no longer a safe place where you go to see the Eiffel Tower, The Louvre, The Gare d'Orsay and the Loire Valley. France is the #1 tourist destination in the world.

The US is #2 and no wonder with its amazing national parks and other attractions.

"Quality Tourists" can afford choices.

Edt. I forgot to add that a lot of young people have their vacations paid for by their parents who should put a big NO sign on Thailand.

Edited by NeverSure

Does anyone have a stat on what percentage of Thai tourists go to see Thailand as they would London or France, and what percentage go for the women/bar girls?

I'm really curious as to how many real tourists there are who simply want to see Thailand.

• Like 1

What's so great about Thailand? Can someone tell me what the allure is for millions of people aside from sex mongerers and young backpackers looking to go to a full moon party or yolo?

Holidays, for normal people.

Affordable place to retire.

Sometimes the weather.

What's so great about Thailand? Can someone tell me what the allure is for millions of people aside from sex mongerers and young backpackers looking to go to a full moon party or yolo?

Sometimes the weather.

So can you give me a list of the negatives?.Maybe you don't have the time.

Sometimes the weather.

Not as safe as many people think.

Road traffic accidents.

Sometimes the weather.

Sometimes the weather.

Not as safe as many people think.

Road traffic accidents.

Sometimes the weather.

I'd agree with you,but never had a problem with the weather.

The survey showed that 94 per cent of tourists from the United Kingdom have knowledge of the murder, against 73 per cent in other European countries, such as Austria, Spain, France, Russia, Germany, Sweden, Italy and the Netherlands.

Why not from Burma?

Tourists, not all-but-slave labour.

The concern in this survey is clearly more about how tourist revenue is being effected.

In that equation Burmese don't matter.

burmese are not used as slave labour anymore than Thais are. We pay our burmese workers 12-15000 a month plus 1 day a week off and overtime for a 8 hour day working on our farm at maids. They get this because they are legal they work hard they dont take piss. On other hand we've had Burmese who do take piss lazy and useless and they are given boot very quickly. Any burmese or for that matter Thai who works hard is honest can easily find plenty of well paid jobs with forang or good companies. We also give regular wage reviews and good bonuses every 3 months. We've also had good Thai workers but like a lot they are lazy and believe they deserve our good pay., We've had lots go either because grass seemed greener and left us without notice and begged us for jobs back and some wed take back for sure but others thought they could take the piss and never understood or will understand they are only valuable to get higher pay if they work well, are reliable donut take piss.

Many people we know say we are stupid to pay so much and in same breath say we arelucky to have such good workers.

• Like 1

The survey showed that 94 per cent of tourists from the United Kingdom have knowledge of the murder, against 73 per cent in other European countries, such as Austria, Spain, France, Russia, Germany, Sweden, Italy and the Netherlands.

Why not from Burma?

The concern in this survey is clearly more about how tourist revenue is being effected.

burmese are not used as slave labour anymore than Thais are. We pay our burmese workers 12-15000 a month plus 1 day a week off and overtime for a 8 hour day working on our farm at maids. They get this because they are legal they work hard they dont take piss. On other hand we've had Burmese who do take piss lazy and useless and they are given boot very quickly. Any burmese or for that matter Thai who works hard is honest can easily find plenty of well paid jobs with forang or good companies. We also give regular wage reviews and good bonuses every 3 months. We've also had good Thai workers but like a lot they are lazy and believe they deserve our good pay., We've had lots go either because grass seemed greener and left us without notice and begged us for jobs back and some wed take back for sure but others thought they could take the piss and never understood or will understand they are only valuable to get higher pay if they work well, are reliable donut take piss.

Many people we know say we are stupid to pay so much and in same breath say we arelucky to have such good workers.

ill add many of my friends booth This and forang employ burmese and pay them same as Thais and dont try to underpay just because they are Burmese. They also know value of good staff and pay ,much more but i also know many tHais and forang who pay as little as they can and get bad workers and wonder why. Everone has to make a living except in west where welfare scroungers can libel irk parasites of rest of us which is why i left 20+ years ago

I'd love to know what it s like on Kho Tao right now if anyone is there and care to comment.

Are young backpackers still partying? Are drugs still available? Are they all dancing around to their doof doof music?

What's the vibe at the AC Bar like? Are people still getting drunk and partying with the local boys?

I would hope that in light of what happened and other mysterious cases they would finally put an end to all this full moon, drug taking, "the beach" senselessness. It is like Vang Vieng in Laos when it started to get out of hand and kids were dying they clamped down and now it is a normal place to visit.

Can Thailand step up to the plate? Or is there too much money in the drugs and alcohol sales now for it to end? Are the funds making their way too far up the chain for it to ever end?

Do they really care to make a change? Who's kids are going to die next? I can guarantee by the end of the high season there will be at least one kid going home in a box with dubious circumstances surrounding the reason why. Quite a few more will be going home in a box from their own foolishness as usual.

• Like 2

Tourists should be vigilant and skeptical of Thailand for travel. There are plenty of other lovely spots in the world to visit where people are more welcoming, hospitable, friendly, honest, and sincere. Thailand does not have these qualities and Koh Tao and Japanese body parts are just but a few of the tragic stories in Thailand.

• Like 1

I'd love to know what it s like on Kho Tao right now if anyone is there and care to comment.

Are young backpackers still partying? Are drugs still available? Are they all dancing around to their doof doof music?

What's the vibe at the AC Bar like? Are people still getting drunk and partying with the local boys?

I would hope that in light of what happened and other mysterious cases they would finally put an end to all this full moon, drug taking, "the beach" senselessness. It is like Vang Vieng in Laos when it started to get out of hand and kids were dying they clamped down and now it is a normal place to visit.

Can Thailand step up to the plate? Or is there too much money in the drugs and alcohol sales now for it to end? Are the funds making their way too far up the chain for it to ever end?

Do they really care to make a change? Who's kids are going to die next? I can guarantee by the end of the high season there will be at least one kid going home in a box with dubious circumstances surrounding the reason why. Quite a few more will be going home in a box from their own foolishness as usual.

A Thai friend of mine working in KPN, now visiting Samui, just pondered in facebook where have all the tourists gone from all the islands. Received about a dozen of obvious answers instantly, from both Thai and foreign people, regarding this case with links to news etc.

• Like 1

TAT, BIB and Koh Tao take note, the cover up isn't working

Oh no,

the cover-up IS working,

it has opened the eyes of the rest of the world to the way innocent people's lives are destroyed, and then mocked

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/17/thai-murders-backpackers-prime-minster-bikinis_n_5834756.html

The it shows the world that when they catch killers, even with their clothes full of blood and their speedboats full of evidence,

if they have any political connection, the police will then lie to the world, and call us all idiots

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-tourist-murder-suspect-now-arrested-another-run/

• Like 2

you already answered your own question,

there are so many hands taking a cut of the alcohol sales in Thailand it is nearly triple the cost of a drink in the US

I was in several bars around Thailand and ordered Long Island Iced tea, where everyone knows after 2, you are hammered,

it was a joke,

I finally demanded to speak to the owner of one pub, and from that point on, he made my drinks himself

Thailand is skimming in every way they can, when it comes to alcohol,

a 6 pack of Hoegaarden in the market in Thailand is 1200 baht,

in the USA it is 270 baht, and travels twice the distance

Thailand if Thiefland

I do hope once this is all over and tourism returns, that the powers at be realise it is in spite of the p1ss poor handling of this case and not because of it.

Jeremy I really think that tourism will NOT return as powerful as it was. Thailand has competition without these scandals elsewhere in cheaper places.

Thailand and people thinking this is going to blow over may see something else over the horizon. The actual Europeans coming here - these that spend lots of money - are dropping each year.

People have had enough and in these harsh economic times, people are really looking at options.

Totally agree Marcus, but harsh economic times don't last for ever as history has proven.

Well tourism down there has an ongoing problem anyway.

If it does turn out these two Burmese are innocent or not its always been more than two in any case.That means there is still probably one or more rapists and maybe killers on the loose and if these boys are innocent theres a high likelihood its a gang of serial rapists and maybe even serial killer/s still about on KT and or the Islands

Its also very highly likely they will strike again somewhere, someplace at some future time.

Islands where they feel safe being the likely target location.... how safe would you feel your children are here partying ?

Just what most dont want to even consider having to think about on a relaxing holiday in paradise are killers and rapists on the loose. Not the young, not the professional yuppies or couples and certainly not mum and dad paying for a gap year travelling.

Edited by englishoak

Why not from Burma?

Those who pay decent wages to their Burmese workers are the exception and that is laudable. However, they are far and few between and are the exception. The fact remsins that mostly the Burmese workers here are exploited and treated appallingly badly.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

In itself there is nothing wrong with these young western kids going to full moon party's and taking drugs and getting drunk, its what young and old people on planet earth have always done.

The problem arises when Thais are allowed to murder, rape, steal and be as inhumane as they want knowing full well they'll get away with it.

natural things when on holiday.

A romantic stroll on the beach.

Enjoying the nightlife.

Wearing a bikini

Drinking beer

Smoking pot

Staying out late.

Dancing

Partying.

Unnatural things.

Drugging drinks.

Beating up