Advice/Reports from farangs who have successfully done an Islamic Thai marriage

PhuketAmerican

Thanks to those with constructive replies, and to all the haters/bigots/ignorant losers, you can go to hell. Our wedding is set for May 5th, and before that I will make "Niqa" to learn the Shahada prayer. It's more for her family than anything, they are much more conservative than her, women wear hijab, they pray salat every day, no tattoos/unusual piercings, fast for Ramadan. I'm taking a pragmatic approach to this issue so I can be with the woman I love and keep her family on good terms with her and myself. I kind of like some of their principles as I am a conservative fellow myself.

I fully expected the ignorant racists comment as well, but my religious beliefs are between me and the God or Abraham. When in the USA we will attend the Baptist Church I grew up in.

So thanks again for the helpful comments from folks who have gone through the process and shared with me. Now I need to get the paperwork done and go to the embassy. Excited for the goat curry, one of my favorite Thai Muslim wedding foods.

Assalamalaykum!

post-187534-0-13092500-1418547768_thumb.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok So I thought I would come back to this thread with some reliable, first person information on how it works to obtain a Nikah (Islamic Marriage) certificate in Phuket.

I went to the Ko Keaw Mosque and Islamic School compound near the boat lagoon in late December with my fiancee and her parents and brother to convert to Islam for the purpose of marriage. This cost 500 baht. This is how they sting you- when I came back Feb.3rd the marriage document fee was 6000 that I wasnt told until after the ceremony when going to get the document in offices.

I had to memorize 4 different important parts of Islamic prayers and teaching including the Fatiha (Bismallah) prayer, the Surah, 5 Pillars and 6 Points of Islam.

The Imam questioned me in 80% good English and addressed my fiancees family in thai. Two other scholars spoke to me in Thai and asked me questions including quizzing me on how I was supposed to manage my wife such as making sure she prays and showers and personal things. I stumbled and said I would be jai diao (faithful) to her when I ran out of answers to how I should treat her. He was quick to remind me it's ok to have up to 4 wives but no more and I must treat them fairly.

I struggled with the first Arabic prayer and they got into me but the head guy was sympathetic. After paying a token sin sod of $10k baht cash and presenting the gold I had bought her over the past 3 years about 5 baht weight, the pronounced us married and I accepting our Nikah.

Afterward got document and stung for 6000 baht at the office. Thai's dont have to pay this much and there are other options for Malays/Indons/Arabs/Persians.

I am glad the head Imam spoke English enough to converse because my Thai is ok for work but not good enough for theological discussions and my vocabulary is too imprecise to have argued my case as well.

My Islamic name is Suleiman. Our normal wedding reception was yesterday Feb. 5th at the Pearl Hotel downtown Phuket, great venue in our honeymoon to the US will be in May to have a party with my friends there when we make US papers for her.

• 2 weeks later...