controllers copy ( dualshock3)

DrAzTiK

One weeks ago, I bought a controller Dualshock 3 at chiang mai Computer Plaza for 1700 bath in a small shop :

https://plus.google.com/105390816589280194738/about?gl=th&hl=fr

I know and have been in this shop for a long time, just for look products and "small talking" with staff. This shop sell copy games and second hand devices (consoles, controllers etc..) .

One weeks ago, I urgently needed a ps3 controller and I remembered this shop was selling one in a protected window. So I went to the shop and bought it, quite confident and happy with my purchase. I more or less was aware about copy in Thailand but the product and the box was looking so much like an original one that I didn't even consider the option of this product to be a copy.

I almost nerver used this kind of controller before and after played a few games with it for one week I was quite happy with this controller. It worked well, pluged by cable usb or bluetooth.

But today, I have been to Central Festival Mall coz I wanted to buy an official ps3 mini usb cable to charge the controller on my computer. I went into a another small game shop ( more serious shop, selling original games) and after showing my controller to the owner, he told me that my controller is a copy.

He let me feel the comparaison with a geniune Ps3 controller and I I do felt some differences sensations pressing buttons, analog sitck and pad.

The owner of this shop sell the geniune pS3 dualshock controller 1700 bath, witch is the same price of my copy!

Looking on internet, I discovered that there is many many dualshock 3 copy around the world. Theses copy are sometimes good quality , sometimes not, but overall, less quality that geniune ps3 controllers. Looking my controller, I admit that the device looks perfect (at least from external). Surely this copy conctroller is made with low quality composants and will break down faster than an original one.

I also have returned to the shop where I bought this copy controller with my girlfriend. Considering he didnt speak english at all, I let my gf speak with him. He didn't look me in eyes at all while faking to be busy on his computers and be surprising ..

I ask to be refund but considering I opened the box already, he said it was not possible. I am not even sure this guy is the owner, maybe just staff. .

Anyways, I don't think I will be refund and I don't know what to do. Do you think I should alarm the police ? lol

Even it this guys may look dishonest, there is a chance that he was not aware about this product to be a copy.. I read that in Europe, some dealers also sell dualshock 3 copy in good faith !

What do you think I should do guys? I write this topic to have your opinon and prevent you buying official controller in small shops/underground computer places.

What bother me the most is that I paid this copy the same price as the geniune one. The price for a dualshock3 copy should be 700-900 bath I guess.

Arggggg

ps: pictures of my copy controller and the shop where I bought it.

post-111213-0-68898900-1413906462_thumb.

post-111213-0-72384000-1413906476_thumb.

Edited by DrAzTiK

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Sometimes the copies are lower quality, sometimes a similar quality, or sometimes they have additional features which aren't available on the regular controllers.

e.g. I had a controller for my old PS, which had rapidfire which was cool, it would automatically spam a button quickly for you if you pressed an extra button. I don't think it ever had any problems, and it was getting some heavy duty use lol (I was at boarding school, and I left my playstation in the lounge for the other guys to play on whenever we had free time). So some copies can be reasonably durable.

Also, you'll probably have pretty much no chance of getting a refund or an exchange lol. So it's easiest to just not stress over it :-P

Yes there is an xbox clone controller. I bought one from Fasttech.com and one of the shoulder buttons became faulty. I contacted them for a replacement but was told it was outside the replacement period of 3 months and they then discouraged me from returning it for repair by insisting I pay for shipment to and from Hong Kong. Needless to say I now avoid Fasttech because of their shabby customer services.

JAF

• 2 weeks later...

What was the box that the PS3 controller came in like? Maybe it's from another region?

TBH I have UK and Japanese PS3 controllers and they are identical. If the shop owner fobbed you off and was shifty with you then you probably were ripped off. Not exactly a shock seeing as you knew the shop sold pirated games. The only difference is that he doesn't sell pirated games for 1,500 baht I bet.

There is nothing you can do except live and learn from it. If the controller is working OK then it's not too bad. I would expect the first thing to fail would be the battery.

If it was me I would open the controller and compare the internal components to a genuine DS3 controller.