Will i need to cancel my ED visa while exiting a day before it expires ?

Hi,

I just heard about a bizarre rule that was enforced at Nong Khai immigration - apparently all Non-Immigrant visas need a letter of cancellation from your school or employer in order to get out of the country to get a new visa. I know that makes no sense. Wondering if anyone here has any experience with this.

​My last extension to stay is until Oct 26. I'm booked to fly out from Suvarnabhumi on Oct 25. I have an ED visa. Will i need to cancel my visa before they let me exit the country ?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that UbonJoe.

An entire busload of ED visa holders was 'turned back' at Nong Khai on Monday. They had to get their language school(s) to fax them a letter saying their visa would be cancelled, then go to Immigration at Nong Khai, and only then were they allowed to exit Thailand. Hence my question.

I have never heard anything about not being able to leave, but my language school told me that I need to get a cancellation letter from my university for my current visa for when I go to get a new ED. I really don't know why that is, seems to me the visa would automatically be canceled once you leave the country with no reentry permit.

Now that I think about it she did say if I fly it is not an issue but if I do the border crossing I will need it. Made absolutely no sense to me at the time, but that is consistent with the OP's concern.

Edited by maswov

I entered on a ed visa and my last extension of stay is end of November.

I'm going to Savannakhet on the 18 of November to get a non_O based on marriage.

Do I need a letter from school?

And do I need to go to immigration before I plan to go?

Or can I just leave by land border and get my new visa basses on marriage with out any letter from school or immigration?

I figured by leaving cancels the old then apply and enter on the new.

I'm going to Savannakhet on the 18 of November to get a non_O based on marriage.

Or can I just leave by land border and get my new visa basses on marriage with out any letter from school or immigration?

You should not need to have a letter from the school when crossing to Savannakhet.

Certainly no need to go to immigration.

Your extension will be gone as soon as you leave.

That is the first I have ever heard of that happening. It must be something new they just started at Nong Kai.

You will not be turned back at the airport.

On my last trip through Nong Khai immigration a couple of months ago, one of our party had the same problem. They wouldn't let him exit Thailand with his (almost expired) ED visa and he too had to go to Nong Khai immigration office and wait for a fax from his school to 'cancel' his visa before they would allow him to exit. Because of that he was late arriving at the Thai embassy and couldn't submit his paperwork for his next visa before the lunchtime cut off and ended up staying a few more nights in Laos waiting for the next visa minivan trip to arrive. he (rightly or wrongly) assumed that once he left Thailand through immigration his visa would be dead anyway (because he didn't have/didn't want a re-entry permit), so any remaining validity would automatically be 'lost (he was wrong)

Some clarification is needed here I think - others with (uncancelled) ED visas and extensions were allowed out without any problems, so don't know what was special about this guy.

That is the first I have ever heard of that happening. It must be something new they just started at Nong Kai.

You will not be turned back at the airport.

On my last trip through Nong Khai immigration a couple of months ago, one of our party had the same problem. They wouldn't let him exit Thailand with his (almost expired) ED visa and he too had to go to Nong Khai immigration office and wait for a fax from his school to 'cancel' his visa before they would allow him to exit. Because of that he was late arriving at the Thai embassy and couldn't submit his paperwork for his next visa before the lunchtime cut off and ended up staying a few more nights in Laos waiting for the next visa minivan trip to arrive. he (rightly or wrongly) assumed that once he left Thailand through immigration his visa would be dead anyway (because he didn't have/didn't want a re-entry permit), so any remaining validity would automatically be 'lost (he was wrong)

Some clarification is needed here I think - others with (uncancelled) ED visas and extensions were allowed out without any problems, so don't know what was special about this guy.

He surely had an extension of stay, not a visa (visa cannot be cancelled). This appears to be a Nong Khai "speciality" that they exercise for reasons better known to themselves. Easily avoided going to e.g. Savannakhet for same day service.

You should not need to have a letter from the school when crossing to Savannakhet.

Certainly no need to go to immigration.

Your extension will be gone as soon as you leave.

Maybe I should get a letter just to be safe?

That way I would have it if asked.

Update : so i did fly out from Suvarnabhumi this morning, but only after a nasty 15-20 minute scare. The passport control officer immediately summoned some other officers as soon as he took a look at my passport. He told me to follow one particular officer who took me to a desk and asked questions such as where my certificate from the school was, and whether i had any student ID on me. He spoke almost no English, so the entire exchange took place in Thai. He kept saying i won't be able to leave, and when i kept pointing out my extension until Oct 26, he said, yes, yes i know, but this is wrong.

I was then taken to the section where you pay Overstay fines where this officer spoke to some more immigration officials, and then finally summoned me, made me look at the webcam and stamped me out. The last question he asked was whether i plan to return. I said absolutely. He gave me a strange look.

On the flight out, the paranoid part of my brain started wondering if perhaps he could have blacklisted me. There's no earthly reason why he should have - there was nothing wrong with my visa or status in the country, but could he have ? How would i know ?

This is scary. I have an expiring ED visa from English Memo Language school Samut Phrakan. I never went to it. A Thai friend got me this Ed visa. I have a student card with a phone number and address, but nobody answers the phone when I call it. I want to apply to renew ED visa at Nong Khai. If immigration hassles me for school cancel letter, it will be impossible to get because the school does not answer phone!

This is scary. I have an expiring ED visa from English Memo Language school Samut Phrakan. I never went to it. A Thai friend got me this Ed visa. I have a student card with a phone number and address, but nobody answers the phone when I call it. I want to apply to renew ED visa at Nong Khai. If immigration hassles me for school cancel letter, it will be impossible to get because the school does not answer phone!

Have you enrolled in a new school?

Perhaps you should go to Savannakhet to get your ED visa instead of Vientiane. There have been no reports of immigration at the bridge in Mukdahan asking for a cancellation letter.

As my first post stated - you will almost definitely be asked for a cancellation letter at Nong Khai. They will not let you exit the country without that. This happened to some friends of mine last monday, and to everyone else on an ED visa who was on that visa run bus.

As my first post stated - you will almost definitely be asked for a cancellation letter at Nong Khai. They will not let you exit the country without that. This happened to some friends of mine last monday, and to everyone else on an ED visa who was on that visa run bus.

I think this letter requirement should be a new topic to get proper feedback.

Note that what is important in the cancellation letter is the last day of your study. That is the day you have to leave the country. if you do not, you are on overstay at 500 baht a day, with a maximum of 20,000.

My extension stamp says 8th Nov but i have no idea if my school year has ended yet. Are you saying it is possible that i have overstayed?

Yes, when on an extension of stay based on education you must leave the country on the last day of your study.

blink.png Guess i have some date checking to do. Thank you Mario2008 this is the first time i have heard this information

Edit; Im safe with the enrolment date but my school says i can leave without cancellation letter. As usual i will have to go speak with them face to face. Thanks again

Edited by Julie H

Ill be leaving by air in a few days, guess i should contact my school & get a cancellation letter? Id rather be prepared than miss my flight. Thank you for this post OP

I don't think they can actually stop anyone from flying out who has a valid extension to stay, but they could make it hard, and unpleasant, as happened to me. Definitely be armed with a cancellation letter from your school.

One would hope that with enough such cases flying out daily, better sense will prevail at immigration and they'll just stamp people out with any drama, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Nong Kai is only place that has stopped people from leaving when they still had a valid extension for education (not a ED visa).

They will not stop anybody from leaving at the airport or even say a word unless it is a reminder that you need a re-entry permit to keep the extension valid..

Ill be leaving by air in a few days, guess i should contact my school & get a cancellation letter? Id rather be prepared than miss my flight. Thank you for this post OP

I don't think they can actually stop anyone from flying out who has a valid extension to stay, but they could make it hard, and unpleasant, as happened to me. Definitely be armed with a cancellation letter from your school.

One would hope that with enough such cases flying out daily, better sense will prevail at immigration and they'll just stamp people out with any drama, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Ill tell em UbonJoe said its ok cowboy.gif

They will not stop anybody from leaving at the airport or even say a word unless it is a reminder that you need a re-entry permit to keep the extension valid..

This contradicts Mario's advise. How can immigration know when your school year expired if your extension stamp has a later expiry date? Demanding a letter from school makes sense to me

This contradicts Mario's advise. How can immigration know when your school year expired if your extension stamp has a later expiry date? Demanding a letter from school makes sense to me

Since we're talking "making sense". What sense it makes to prevent someone with no arrest warrant or other legal reason from leaving country without a letter from a private entity ?

• Like 1

Immigration at the does not consider it their business whether the extension is still valid or not as long as is shown to be valid in your passport and their database.

Most border crossing don't care either unless it is one based upon working because those are the ones most commonly abused after a person looses their job.

What Mario wrote is correct but on the enforcement side it is not done because it is not practical.

Since we're talking "making sense". What sense it makes to prevent someone with no arrest warrant or other legal reason from leaving country without a letter from a private entity ?

Keep your cool buddy, i was just trying to "make sense" of it all. You really can be a bit of a hot head paz. & to answer your question it is a perfect situation to extort money

Keep your cool buddy, i was just trying to "make sense" of it all. You really can be a bit of a hot head paz. & to answer your question it is a perfect situation to extort money

I'm OK thanks. But from reports it's "you need letter", not "you need letter or banknote".